Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9

Author Topic: Identifying Trichocereus pachanoi "PC" and "Real" pachanoi  (Read 89852 times)

New Wisdom

• Professional Cactus Hoarder
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +223
  • Zone 6B
Re: Identifying Trichocereus pachanoi "PC" and "Real" pachanoi
« Reply #60 on: November 30, 2014, 02:44:09 AM »

I really want to get a hold of the indent areole and belly-button scop.  I think mine is the exposed areole clone, but who knows till it grows more. I got it too late in the season this summer for it to grow much and now it's dormant.  And on trout's site he shows several seed grown specimen that are spineless!  Where did they get the seeds?? I want them.  I've only found scop hybrids.  I actually have some scop hybrids going and they all have spines. Even when scop was the mother.   

Another trait I look for in genuine scopulicola is the baseball bat/club shape. Skinny at the bottom and getting fatter towards the top.

I think I have a prejudice for spined ones since I searched for so long for a spineless specimen. It really was a lot of trouble trying to find one. Until I asked SS for a scopulicola. I didn't ask for a spineless one, but the one they sent me barely had spines. The ironic part is it told my friend immediately that they had spineless ones knowing that he wanted one. He bought one from them and they sent him one with visible spines, which he already had.
Cactus = Life

happyconcacti

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +330
« Reply #61 on: November 30, 2014, 06:44:24 PM »

I'm not exactly sure which clone I have. I definitely want to get a hold of a spineless one now  ;D

The one I have came from an old-time grower in the area. He's been growing cacti from South America for 30+ years. Next time I see him I'll ask if he knows more history about his Scops.

It has very indented V-nothces, small spines, and the new growth looks very similar to PC pachanoi except for the fatness and top-view shape of the ribs.

Hcc

Auxin

• Trading Score: +65
« Reply #62 on: November 30, 2014, 07:58:13 PM »

on trout's site he shows several seed grown specimen that are spineless!  Where did they get the seeds?? I want them.
I'm reasonably certain he was using the term loosely to indicate genetically distinct clonal lines, rather than meaning "This guy bob planted a seed and look what grew"
That aussie 'seed grown' has been circulating as clones in australia for at least a decade and I seem to recall it being cited as originally being an imported clone.

Greentoe

• Trading Score: +238
« Reply #63 on: November 30, 2014, 08:08:08 PM »

It has very indented V-nothces, small spines, and the new growth looks very similar to PC pachanoi except for the fatness and top-view shape of the ribs.

Any chance you can post a picture of the top view so I can see what you're talking about?

New Wisdom

• Global Moderator
  • Zone 6B
« Reply #64 on: November 30, 2014, 09:31:49 PM »

Thanks for the clarification Auxin.

I found a picture of a (supposed) seed grown Scopulicola on Wiki!!  It has spines at the lower portion. Which indicates to me that it actually is a seedling.   I wonder where this person got their seeds.
Cactus = Life

Auxin

• Trading Score: +65
« Reply #65 on: November 30, 2014, 11:47:11 PM »

I notice a pattern in your posts  ;)
So I'll mention another thing I noticed, Köehres Kakteen has them listed in their catalog.

Another side note, if a cactus looks like its in between pachanoi and scopulicola, investigate T. riomizquensis. I sometimes see purported scops that clearly lie closer to rios due to spine length.

New Wisdom

• Global Moderator
  • Zone 6B
« Reply #66 on: November 30, 2014, 11:53:08 PM »

Okay, and wow, I can't believe they have T. scopulicola seeds listed.  I wonder if they're legit.  I've had ID problems from koehres before.  Thanks for pointing that out!!  I'll check out riomizquensis as well. Never heard of that one.
Cactus = Life

New Wisdom

• Global Moderator
  • Zone 6B
« Reply #67 on: December 01, 2014, 08:29:45 AM »

Speaking of scop seeds Sacred Succulents has T. scopulicolus on their list now.  Just found out. 
Cactus = Life

solaritea

• Trading Score: +48
« Reply #68 on: June 15, 2015, 10:21:50 PM »

I'll send a pack of about 20 Koehres scopulicola seeds to anyone for $1. I just created a post in the giveaways section. Details in that post.
http://sharetheseeds.me/forum/index.php?topic=2614.0

New Wisdom

• Global Moderator
  • Zone 6B
« Reply #69 on: June 15, 2015, 10:49:21 PM »

I have some of those going now. I also got into contact with somebody who made some legit spineless scop x spineless scop seeds and have some of those going. I grafted a few of the seedlings and should have some new spineless scop clones going soon.
Cactus = Life

Shallen

« Reply #70 on: November 20, 2015, 03:18:57 PM »

so I'm guessing that I've got a pc pach then?
I have some of those going now. I also got into contact with somebody who made some legit spineless scop x spineless scop seeds and have some of those going. I grafted a few of the seedlings and should have some new spineless scop clones going soon.

happyconcacti

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +330
« Reply #71 on: December 04, 2015, 03:04:35 PM »

Hi Shallen,

That definitely has the PC look, but I wouldn't discount it quite yet. I'm quickly becoming aware of clones that "look PC" but are DEFINITELY not.

Can you provide any information on it's history? Like how you obtained it?

Peace,
Hcc

HulGil

• Mad Monk
  • Trader
  • Trading Score: +10
  • Freelancer & monastic poet. Scholar-psychoanalyst.
« Reply #72 on: December 04, 2015, 07:45:31 PM »

I obtained this non-PC from Home Depot. The only reason I think it's non PC is because it's a very potent clone and has deep V-notches. Can someone confirm whether or not I'm correct?
All men are born mad. Some remain so. (Beckett, Waiting for Godot)

Frog Pajamas

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +576
  • Zone 7A
« Reply #73 on: December 04, 2015, 08:39:19 PM »

Looks non-PC to me.  :)

husk

• Trading Score: +39
« Reply #74 on: December 08, 2015, 12:44:47 PM »

I always want to say non PC but am forever questioning it so lets have a look...

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9