Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Likelihood of teotwawki...in your opinions  (Read 21079 times)

LIBERTYNY

• Trading Score: +85
Re: Likelihood of teotwawki...in your opinions
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2016, 09:43:17 PM »

Im insanely jellious of all you guys that get to live in rural area's,
   I spend 99% of my time in S NY Long island, where their is very little game to hunt and whats hear will disappear virtually overnight when things get 'bad'.
  Foraging is possible between the highways and subdivisions the best spots tend to be supperfund sites thow,  Besides with the massive population hear,   what is hear will not last a season.
  People steal my tomato's / corn / ect.  every time I turn around today,  Tomorrow . . .
  We do have the ocean and LI sound thow,  Still looking at the dirty dirty dirty water I would cry if I had to resort to that.

My plan would be to lay low as long as my stock could sustain myself, and let the unprepared kill themselves of in the streets in the mean time, then make a run to my hunting land in Pa.

When the music stops how americas citys may explode in violence (excellent reed)
    ---   https://westernrifleshooters.wordpress.com/2012/09/03/bracken-when-the-music-stops-how-americas-cities-may-explode-in-violence/
III%

Ian Morris

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +52
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2016, 10:30:44 PM »

RE: plantlight

In general, the libertarian excuse for war is that we universally recognize the right of self-defense and if this right is compounded or otherwise multiplied there must be some justification for a public self-defense.  Following along, this right (like any right in a free society) can be exchanged through a theory of assignment and agency.  Suppose that I have a right to collect apples from your orchard so I can do this myself or I can subcontract or assign this right to another, let’s say Pedro, who is my agent in exercising this right.
The libertarian idea is that because so many people have a right to self-defense that when aggregated there should be some vested ‘public’ right as well and that through agency (an army) we can effect these rights, specifically war. 

My own feelings on the matter is that this sort of argument is illogical and doesn’t survive scrutiny.

History or a modicum of reflection shows us that wars are never an extension or multiplication of self-defense.  Wars, even when waged on self-defense are disproportionality conducted by the poor who suffer the most on both sides, on behalf of the elites of each side who often have the most to lose but rarely if ever bear the price.

But Ian you dirty pirate, you just said through agency and assignment some individuals will have tons of Pedros where I must pick my own apples (war) so clearly libertarianism accepts that effects will be proportional.  We agree, I accept that many will have disproportionate resources with which to defend themselves, my problem is with the choice to employ self-defense in the first place.

Oh you clever swashbuckler!  Pro-war Libertarianism would have us surrender the personal choice to that of the collective!  A libertarian society should be the sum total of its peaceful and voluntary individual acts.  War, even in self-defense, subordinates these considerations to the collective, and leaves us with very difficult questions like;

Whom do we wage war against?
How much proportional force is necessary?
Is the threat imminent?
When can we safely declare cessation to hostilities?

In a pro-war libertarian situation these questions would not remain the sovereignty or choice of the individual but that of single commanding authority or worse (depending on your philosophy) that of a collective. 

Ian you are losing me you scoundrel, what if a collective a group of pro-war Libertarians decided to defend themselves collectively and each individual made that decision?

I would argue that this is highly unlikely and even collectively the above questions cannot be correctly answered without some suffering of individual choice or unwanted compromise.  Who chooses?  Can we get 5 people to agree or 100, what about unanimity?

Even more important I would argue that what happens to the individual that refuses to join in the exercise of this collective right and has not initiated force against the defender, thus triggering the right in the first place?

What if I dissent?
What if I offer moral support to the other side?
What if I remain neutral but still sell weapons and supplies to the enemy?
What if I remain neutral but refuse to supply the pro-war Libertarians?

The answers here are not hypothetical, just look to history how each of these groups are treated by the victor.  Answering these questions truthfully will undoubtable involve violations of core principles of Libertarian ideas, which is really just a long way to say why unlike some Libertarians, I personally do not believe there is justification for war, even in self-defense. 

Ian you are the Errol Flynn of my moral compass and while I believe you to be terribly naïve I value your gallant defense of your very unpopular opinion.

Roze

• Trading Score: +210
  • After winter, trees are relieved.
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2016, 02:06:06 PM »

Is just me or this elections are entirely  corrupted?

I trully belive that Trump is just a joker to distract people from of all perverse things that Hillary did in the past.  All this is a pact to her win this election..  how can a presidential candidate proudly say that not paid taxes for years  or yell racial comments and yet expect to win?

The media on Europe just shows  the insane and lunatic  Trump and the super indefectible professional  Hillary that can lead this world to a great future...  just a puppets stage on the current circus that is our planet.

Dark days will come, thats why I have a greenhouse!  :P

Be weird.  Be random.   Be who you are.

AcaciaAve

• West Coast Zone 8b
  • Trading Score: +166
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2016, 08:36:18 PM »

The "world" has already ended.
It is an utter disappointment, no summer blockbuster
Now we're naked
Washing our flesh in sin
The fuel of our precious cancer clogging our tanks with sugar

This tree of life bears bitter fruit.
And they're withered.
 Razed.
 The only truths left dying on the vine.
Before the orchard's set ablaze.
Black smoke from burning human crop.

Moving our bodies through great haphazard.
Beware.
Hide.
From yourself.
Be broken.
A single piece of something brilliant.
 It's part of a program to be a ruler, a victim, a man, a woman, a father, a daughter.
Grow Phalaris grass
Climb Acacia Trees

Mangrove

• Li'l Lorax
  • Trading Score: +191
  • We're all here because we're not all there.
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2016, 01:35:32 AM »

The "world" has already ended.
It is an utter disappointment, no summer blockbuster
Now we're naked
Washing our flesh in sin
The fuel of our precious cancer clogging our tanks with sugar

This tree of life bears bitter fruit.
And they're withered.
 Razed.
 The only truths left dying on the vine.
Before the orchard's set ablaze.
Black smoke from burning human crop.

Moving our bodies through great haphazard.
Beware.
Hide.
From yourself.
Be broken.
A single piece of something brilliant.
 It's part of a program to be a ruler, a victim, a man, a woman, a father, a daughter.

WELCOME BACK, ACACIA AVE!!!

« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 02:06:22 AM by Mangrove »
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.--Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

fairdinkumseeds

• Trading Score: +545
  • May you reap exactly what you sow......
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2016, 01:42:42 AM »

Had a political minded prepper dude I met predict a black president followed by a female president vs moron election. Female winning.
Followed by war involving most of Europe and Asia with heavy AU and US involvement.
Long time ago, but the reason he gave and explanation about was so logical and sensible when you looked big picture.
Hairs on the back of my neck stood up, still do. lol.
Changed the was I look at things quite a bit, and we are due for a cull...
Sucks, but AU-OS trade isn't cost effective or reliable anymore. Aussie trade encouraged, especially for cactus, dragonfruit, and colour fruited columns.
Hit me up! --> fairdinkumseeds.com/contact

Mangrove

• Li'l Lorax
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.--Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Roze

• Trading Score: +210
  • After winter, trees are relieved.
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2016, 11:22:05 AM »

Do you guys belive the war in near?

I mean, half world is already fighting to the other half but history tell us that every  economic recession of the past guided to a big war.. a destroy to rebuild  mentality focused on capitalism.

WWIII WARNING Third World War would be ‘extremely lethal and fast’ US Army chiefs reveal as they discuss taking out Russia or China

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/1921630/third-world-war-would-be-extremely-lethal-and-fast-us-army-chiefs-reveal-as-they-discuss-taking-out-russia-or-china/
Be weird.  Be random.   Be who you are.

fairdinkumseeds

• Trading Score: +545
  • May you reap exactly what you sow......
« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2016, 02:01:02 PM »

Hypothetically of course.
Personally, with the population as it is no one wants to use anything that would destroy viable farmland for years on end. No-one wins that game.
So that's nukes or conventional chemical weapons out.
But everyone's still greedy and wants what the other dudes have as per human nature.

I predict emp or water/viral attack if anything, but on a very large scale.
Not concerned about a ground offensive as its not cost effective so pretty unlikely, plus like to think in that case I would still fair better than the average dude due to location/paranoia/skills.
Not at all concerned about major China/Russia etc attacking US, as if they do Australia will get taken out straight up.
Too many major US bases here, I'd be too dead to worry about it.  :P

So yeah, emp/viral or water contamination/attack.
That's what I kinda reckon might happen and I give thought to from time to time.
Gonna happen one day I am sure, history tells us so.
Be interesting to be in the generation that sees it, or any other mass destruction/creation climax.
Story to tell the next generation, maybe they will get things right?

Or fast zombies, that would be cool to see too...

Sucks, but AU-OS trade isn't cost effective or reliable anymore. Aussie trade encouraged, especially for cactus, dragonfruit, and colour fruited columns.
Hit me up! --> fairdinkumseeds.com/contact

plantlight

• pl -- for short
  • Trading Score: +73
  • Invisible Man in a Fluorescent Suit
« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2016, 02:05:14 PM »

Do you guys belive the war in near?
Could be.  I really don't trust the simians in control of the serious weapons. :-\

I mean, half world is already fighting to the other half but history tell us that every  economic recession of the past guided to a big war.. a destroy to rebuild  mentality focused on capitalism.
I know that there is a popular attempt to blame war on capitalism but since war predates capitalism, I think the cause of war is something else. For those of us who despise war and hunger for true peace, it is essential to recognize the true cause.

It seems to me that war is based on blind lust for power and is ever present when rule is by force.  It began when the first simian picked up a club and used it to beat an opponent to death in order to establish the first government.
"Nature is the great visible engine of creativity, against which all other creative efforts are measured.” - T. McKenna

Mangrove

• Li'l Lorax
« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2016, 05:06:25 PM »

Has anyone ever thought to chill out and read Plato's The Republic? He addresses all of these concerns very very well in that book. Orwell too. Power is us; power is everything; where there is none, power will fill. In order to assure one's own survival, he ought to know the moral pillars upon with his society is tied together between.

Mangrove

• Li'l Lorax
« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2016, 05:18:28 PM »

Where is this thread headed to?

plantlight

• pl -- for short
« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2016, 06:11:05 PM »

Has anyone ever thought to chill out and read Plato's The Republic? He addresses all of these concerns very very well in that book. Orwell too. Power is us; power is everything; where there is none, power will fill. In order to assure one's own survival, he ought to know the moral pillars upon with his society is tied together between.
Haha!  Ah yes, a familiar story.  The wise selfless guardian/rulers rule for the good of society with the aid of enforcement actions provided by the noble auxiliary/warrior class.  That relieves all of the rest of us to devote all our time to production and not even think of such unpleasantries as ruling our own affairs. 

Plato's republic was written nearly 2400 years ago and in my opinion is at best a description of how top-down rule could be best imposed using available technology.  It's also the justification for most , if not all of the various governments on the planet today.  At worst, it is a plan to permanently enslave the working class for the ultimate benefit of the ruling class.

Orwell provided warning as to the dystopian possibilities of Plato's ideal government gone wrong. Neither provided a sustainable solution.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 06:40:42 PM by plantlight »
"Nature is the great visible engine of creativity, against which all other creative efforts are measured.” - T. McKenna

Mangrove

• Li'l Lorax
« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2016, 07:12:33 PM »

Poo-Tee-Weet

« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 01:58:32 AM by Mangrove »

plantlight

• pl -- for short
« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2016, 07:13:15 PM »

Has anyone ever thought to chill out
Chilling out is an essential part of finding a personal solution.

"Each one has to find his peace from within.
  And peace to be real must be unaffected by
  outside circumstances." -Mahatma Gandhi

The societal solution will go viral once it is found.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4