Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: natural aids to help with quitting smoking???  (Read 6710 times)

steveoi812

• Trading Score: +13
natural aids to help with quitting smoking???
« on: November 21, 2015, 04:00:02 AM »

are there any species out there that any of you have used as a means to aid with curing the cravings associated with quitting smoking tobacco products??

Im very interested in growing and promoting such a plant...

LIBERTYNY

• Trading Score: +85
Re: natural aids to help with quitting smoking???
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2015, 04:33:23 AM »

I dont smoke but I have read good stuff about Lobelia inflata

https://meridianbotanicals.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=79Â
III%

Auxin

• Trading Score: +65
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2015, 05:32:29 AM »

Long before I had any intention of quitting smoking I tried lobelia just to see what it was like.
It gave me a mild buzz.
Then I smoked a cigarette and immediately began vomiting.

I did it again two days later to prove causality, it worked again! ;D

steveoi812

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2015, 05:44:44 AM »

very very cool. I am def going to look into it!!! two recos on one plant...yep...im def going to look into seeds or cuttings this spring! Thanks so much...rep+ for you two!!

FewTrueSeed

• Many Meiosis
  • Trading Score: +134
  • Fungophile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2015, 07:09:02 AM »

I would be interested to obtain.  :)
Never portray yourself to betray yourself, there is no I in self.

https://mycotek.org/index.php?members/fewtrueseed.1965/

steveoi812

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2015, 07:31:56 AM »

i would as well..going to look for a supplier of the live plant right now...if Im able to get my hands on it you better believe a cutting is coming your way = )

steveoi812

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2015, 07:40:22 AM »

so far no luck...wonder if anyone here has it??

husk

• Trading Score: +39
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2015, 10:13:22 AM »

Wouldn't hurt to put a request up, if not I think I can do my best Google hunting, part of me thinks we have other candidates that may do what you are seeking.

LIBERTYNY

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2015, 12:07:06 PM »

It grows wild in the North East USA

But the frost should have killed it off by now,  If I happen to see some that look ok, I will collect some seed, But it's a long shot now.

If your still intersted come around next june remind me.

If your looking for it sooner check out the local herb/asian/hippy places,  By me the herb is rather commonly sold

I wish you the Best of Luck quitting,  Hang in their and it will all be a bad memory

:)
III%

kykeion

• Trader
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2015, 12:54:15 AM »

Seeds are available on ebay for pretty cheap.

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • Trading Score: +140
  • <3
Praise is mandatory.

mj

• Trading Score: +54
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2015, 03:53:14 AM »

nicotine is a very hard nut to crack. I head a funny the other night someone asks, I thought you were quitting smoking the response was I'm down to two lighters a day. A friend of mine made the mistake of smoking crack then it was three years of constant use til he finally went to narcotics anonymous and he has been clean for five years now. I mention this because I ended up going to a lot of meetings with him to help make sure he would attend. NA meetings are amazing by the way. The thing that blew me away was here you have people addicted to every drug you can imagine and as we know many drug users die and when I asked them they all told me the same thing that tobacco is the hardest drug to quit. I have known a few who died, group members whom I met with my friend. The only drug they let you use at NA is nicotine because as I have been told by many NA members it is the hardest drug to quit. I used to be a two pack a day smoker myself, I would have smoked more but did mot have the money to smoke more. I have been off nicotine for over four years now. I do not mean this to be a negative post. I just want people who don't smoke tobacco to have an idea of how damn hard it is to stop using tobacco. When it comes to habit forming drugs tobacco IS the real deal. Best regards mj.

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • Trading Score: +140
  • <3
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2015, 04:29:16 AM »

Personally I am of the opposite opinion as mj, nicotine habbit is such an easy nut to crack, I already caught myself playing with it on purpose.

The question is: "What is the habbit ?" same as with many other things you can never get rid of that "click" your brain gives you when its remindet of nicotine or sth else. So you see a cig on TV or hear about it or smell one: "click!" and thats forever, in my experience so far. But shrugging when it goes "click" isnt hard at all.

Also I believe nicotine is THE QUICKEST habbit to get, and I am very experienced with another habit that many regard - lacking better knowledge or experience - as "the quickest developing habit".
But in my experience it is also the quickest and least withdrawal to end.

Just quit, exactly NOW, for people who have a hard time quitting, there is no such thing as "quitting when date / event / whatever is due" like "I quit after this pack" or "I quit on christmas". Its about taking whats left, throwing it away and not buying or accepting new ones. The symptoms will be very moderate and wont last very long. Remember: Even six months later you'll see someone having one and your brain gives you a poke, maybe you'll one day see it like me and make it all fun and games and eventually give in to that poke and one week later thats it for the next six months again, gives interesting insight into the mechanics of habits.

Last thing I see many people doing and I perceive as wrong: Wondering / thinking / asking "am I through yet". Its absolutely pointless, youre on or off, since: What would "being through" mean anyways ? That you can continue after a certain time without having a habit ? Thats paradox, why would you want to continue if its what you dont want and why would you want to loosen your self control (note: decisions arent a lack of control).

Lastly: Just keep in mind in a matter of a few days and a few packs the habit will form again, and also be gone again in just the same time and the same amount of saved packs. Also if you ever play with the idea of having a few more since by then you are confident of your "quitting capabilities": The first few kick and dont make the mistake to continue as you stopped, you'll be a tragic mess for a few hours :D

Oh and please note: This is highly personal, I do also currently not have any habit and I am absolutely confident, no matter what I do and how much fun I have, I womt develop a mew one (at least not one I can not simply get rid of again) and I do not have checked with others if they feel the same yet, so don't be disapointed if it doesnt work exactly the same for you, just put in more strength. I'm basically hoping I can come up with general advice that allows everyone to handle things as I do as I feel like its a great improvement to my life the way its now.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 04:34:47 AM by BubbleCat »
Praise is mandatory.

LIBERTYNY

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2015, 05:05:59 AM »

I have no experiance with tobacco and addiction, But opiates/opioids and all the rest

I have to comment on the NA/AA thing, I personally fell all that stuff did more damage to me than any drug

Addiction a disease . . .  I dont think so.

Taking a addict and telling them it's not their fault that their addicted, they have a disease.  Is a cruel joke  Their giving the addict a excuse to do more whatever as it's not their fault !

I hate bashing something that works for someone, But I truely fell aa/na does more harm than good.  Ever realy read into their books, contradictions on top of contradictions

2 great sites that support my point of view, with tons of backed evidence

http://www.thecleanslate.org/
http://www.orange-papers.org/
III%

Auxin

• Trading Score: +65
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2015, 05:13:19 AM »

Just quit, exactly NOW, for people who have a hard time quitting, there is no such thing as "quitting when date / event / whatever is due" like "I quit after this pack" or "I quit on christmas". Its about taking whats left, throwing it away and not buying or accepting new ones.
Different tactics work for different people. Instead of a universal method I tend to think it would be more productive to look at yourself closely, decide which tactic would be most effective for oneself, and stick to it.
For some people cold turkey works, for some puke weed (Lobelia) or gums or patches work, some people go cold turkey off of tobacco and food and drink nothing but water until the withdrawals are through before eating again and that works for them! (I think that ones pretty bad-ass 8) )
I often hear people say they've never heard of someone tapering off tobacco successfully, its such a consistent statement I guess it must be a meme from TV or something, I dont know but that was my method. I knew, for myself, cold turkey would be hard so I systematically tapered down to nothing over 3 weeks and then kept a jar of cigarettes and some pipe tobacco in my machine shop to establish self control. Its been ten years and I cant remember the last time I craved a smoke. The jars still there, lol
When you choose your method dont second guess it, thats just the withdrawals talking, stick to it and get off the stuff.
Pages: [1] 2