Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 22

Author Topic: Psychotria viridis propagation  (Read 140866 times)

TBM

• The Botanical Madman
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +75
  • Onward to the new
Re: Psychotria viridis propagation
« Reply #75 on: November 01, 2013, 05:19:16 AM »

There are times when I don't open some of the glass terrariums for days and my psychotria don't seem to mind.

In fact sometimes when it gets hotter in the terrariums than in the rest of my apartment (during the day) the excess air pressure will then hiss or bubble out from the lid's seal depending on how tightly I last closed it, and then at night after they cool down you'll hear it sucking air back in (kind of like that really annoying noise you make when you slowly leak air out of a balloon's opening)... sometimes I loosen the lids a bit to quickly equalize the air pressure because it can get annoying when there's more than one making noise :P

The point of that is in a way my terrariums are getting at least some daily fresh air exchange simply from the pressure differences of the terrarium and atmospheric between night and day. As long as your set up has a hole or two or you open it at least once a week you should be fine.

The first few times my glass terrariums were making noise like that it freaked me out because every time I would go looking for what was making noise they'd stop so I thought it was some wierd bug or something that kept hiding :D

Sunshine

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +96
  • Hibernating
« Reply #76 on: November 01, 2013, 06:53:53 AM »

I prefer the 'open twice a day' method. You have more control that way.

Bach

• Chacruna whisperer
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +406
« Reply #77 on: November 01, 2013, 02:57:58 PM »

Opening once a day or even every couple days works well for me, but there have been times when I forgot about a particular pot and it went weeks without being opened. They've always been fine... ;D
Forget the night, live with us in forests of azure.

semaphore

• Trading Score: +4
« Reply #78 on: November 01, 2013, 03:30:07 PM »

Nice thanks guys only getting them next week goddam EMS.

Sunshine

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +96
  • Hibernating
« Reply #79 on: November 01, 2013, 06:16:08 PM »

I've had plants get moldy if I didn't open it for that long. I recommend you do it at least every other day to prevent this.

semaphore

« Reply #80 on: November 01, 2013, 08:18:17 PM »

I've had plants get moldy if I didn't open it for that long. I recommend you do it at least every other day to prevent this.

Yep thats what i do at the moment with my iboga, alba so will do it with this.

utahraptor

« Reply #81 on: November 06, 2013, 02:15:38 AM »

incredible wealth of information here! bookmarked for when i start growing my own
:0

Frog Pajamas

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +576
  • Zone 7A
« Reply #82 on: November 11, 2013, 07:43:54 PM »

Just wanted to share some updates on these. The largest one is from a rooted leaf, and the smaller ones are from unrooted leaves. I also threw on the first A. Acuminata that's sprouted above the soil (others have germinated but are a few days behind) and baby Mullein sprouts.

happyconcacti

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +330
« Reply #83 on: November 12, 2013, 10:33:07 PM »

Experiment 1:
Three fresh leaves, stems snapped in 4-6 places
Two potted in 1:0.75:1 of cacti soil : vermiculite : perlite for 3 weeks. Then in cup of water for one week
One leaf put into cup of water for 4 weeks

Results:
The two potted leaves (pictures 1 &3) showed much more root development than the one left in water (picture 5). The one left in water showed small root development at a couple nodes. The potted leaves had lager root development at most all of the nodes.

Discussion:
Planting leaves in 1:0.75:1 of cacti soil : vermiculite : perlite for 3 weeks then putting water for one week appears to provide more root growth at a greater number of nodes than simply placing a leaf in water for 4 weeks.

Also, I noticed that roots will develop off the leaf itself, not just the stem. The leaf in picture 3 had a slight tear near the stem and roots formed out of the tear. (Look near the stem where it originally connected to the plant.)

The two potted leaves are used in the next experiment.

Experiment 2:
Here's the start of another P. viridis leaf propagation experiment I'm working on:

Basic Idea:
1) snap the main stem in 4-6 spots
2) plant in 1:0.75:1 of cacti soil : vermiculite : perlite for 3 weeks
3) Put in cup of water for 1 week
4) Cut leaf into sections based on rooted nodes
5) Re-plant in 1:0.75:1

I have one control leaf (steps 1,2,3,5) and one experiment leaf (steps 1-5). The experiment leaf was cut into 4 sections and the control leaf was planted whole. Both were rooted at the time of re-planting. The experimental leaf appeared to have more root development than the control leaf.

Results and discussion under "Expirement 2" Results in This Post.

Pictures
1) experiment 2 leaf, before cut into sections
2) experiment 2 leaf cut into four sections
3) control leaf
4) potted control and experiment sections
5) third leaf, only put in water (experiment 1)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 04:34:19 PM by happyconcafe »

TBM

• The Botanical Madman
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +75
  • Onward to the new
« Reply #84 on: November 12, 2013, 10:41:00 PM »

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what happens with that experiment ;D I like how you cut the experiment leaf into Vs (as opposed to straight cuts) and by doing so keeping the veins intact, I never would have thought to do that 8)

olyd88

• Fallen Angel
  • Trader
  • Trading Score: +8
  • always positive!
« Reply #85 on: November 14, 2013, 02:32:13 PM »

I did a test with alba and viridis leaves without humidity, in one pot with direct sunlight, at lowest 27 to 33 celcius temperature. Left it outside for 2 weeks and the result is, the viridis leaves almost dried and rotted completely(20% still green but under the soil), the alba's still in 99% condition, and rooting without problem. Just for information.:)
Holy Family Ethnobotanical Garden Sdn.Bhd(2018-2030)

semaphore

« Reply #86 on: November 14, 2013, 02:53:49 PM »

happyconcafe i see you just leave them open? What is your humidity level where you live? Do you not place them in ziplock bags?

happyconcacti

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +330
« Reply #87 on: November 14, 2013, 08:48:16 PM »

happyconcafe i see you just leave them open? What is your humidity level where you live? Do you not place them in ziplock bags?

I took the photos outside of the propagation chamber. The humidity inside the chamers is near 100%.

Saros

• Trading Score: +48
  • (x²+y²-1)³-x²y³=0
« Reply #88 on: November 14, 2013, 10:10:33 PM »

It's been a while since I posted on this thread. I just wanted to add a quick update on my sprouts

All my baby viridis are doing quite well. All of the leaves produced at least a couple sprouts most 4-6.. One in particular produced about 12. So I have a small army of them baby viridis now:)

From my experience with this grow so far, here's what I found:
- I got the most sprouts from a single leaf when the leaf remained whole and just snapped it along the stem "accordion" style. Then buried the leave horizontally in the soil so the entire length of the stem was just below the soil level
- I got roots fastest when the medium was just 100% moist Perlite
- Second best seemed to be a 50/50 mix of Perlite and Vermiculite
- Anything with organic matter in the growing medium  was slower to produce sprouts initially. Maybe due to competing fungi and bacteria or something.

I've transplanted most of them into soil now and I didn't lose any to shock. I dug a small hole in the new soil and filled it with some of the original medium and planted them in that. Allowing the roots to grow out into the surrounding soil on their own. I figured that would be the most gentle transition for them.

It seemed to me that the ones in 100% perlite grew up to about 1cm and then halted. I thought maybe they just needed nutrients at that point so that's when I decided to transplant them to soil. However, it could be simply be that the temperatures in my house were dropping as winter approached. So I moved them into my heated propagation chamber which  stays a cozy 80F night & day.

semaphore

« Reply #89 on: November 15, 2013, 07:55:36 AM »

Saros nice update. Regarding the organic matter i have found most of my leaves have showed signs of rooting after just about two weeks. Mine are just in regular potting soil with some perlite and seem to be happy.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 22