Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 22

Author Topic: Psychotria viridis propagation  (Read 141478 times)

Saros

• Trading Score: +48
  • (x²+y²-1)³-x²y³=0
Re: Psychotria viridis propagation
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2013, 05:23:35 PM »

Ah, I got a sprout! It's kind of ridiculous how excited it made me when I saw that. lol

TBM

• The Botanical Madman
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +75
  • Onward to the new
« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2013, 06:53:13 PM »

Well done! It's no surprise to me that the first to sprout is in perlite, just be aware that when you transplant that little sprout out of the perlite  you have to be gentle, those roots are very fragile. You have to 'uncover' the roots instead of only pulling the leaf out, if you don't see that there are still roots buried when you go to remove it you risk pulling the roots off instead of out of the perlite, it's doable but you can't rush yourself.

I know that feeling of seeing the first sprout, it's quite exciting ;D

Sunshine

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +96
  • Hibernating
« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2013, 08:28:27 PM »

Quite exciting indeed! It takes a longggg time to sprout so I know how you feel man.
Congrats!

Shpongle Lover

• Trading Score: +3
« Reply #48 on: September 09, 2013, 09:14:21 PM »

Congrats!  Is it a boy or a girl?   :)

1+ on the karma for a job well done!!!  I'm 5 weeks into my waiting period...tick tock goes the clock!  How long was it before your leaf gave birth??

S.L.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 09:15:30 PM by Shpongle Lover »
You say you want a change, then make a change.

Saros

• Trading Score: +48
  • (x²+y²-1)³-x²y³=0
« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2013, 09:45:04 PM »

Thanks!

I believe these went into the perlite sometime between July 8th and July 15th. Just going by memory since I don't keep my private messages around very long. But that should be very close to accurate.. So It's been about 8 or 9 weeks.

I noticed one more *really* tiny one on another leaf in the perlite as well. I checked on the other 6 leafs in the other substrates after finding these and no sign of sprouts on them yet.   

TBM

• The Botanical Madman
  • Global Moderator
  • Onward to the new
« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2013, 10:09:20 PM »

They will sprout in time ;) When I started leaves in sphagnum moss for the trade I had, for weeks I thought there wasn't any sprouts. That is until one day after moving moss around to take two leaves for trades did I discovered a 1.2" sprout which was previously covered in moss, hidden from view. That one was quite the surprise :)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 10:09:53 PM by TBM »

Shpongle Lover

• Trading Score: +3
« Reply #51 on: September 09, 2013, 11:20:53 PM »

NICE, Saros!

Man, this hobby really demands patience!

S.L.
You say you want a change, then make a change.

Bach

• Chacruna whisperer
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +406
« Reply #52 on: September 12, 2013, 04:00:33 AM »

Glad you guys are having success with your babies.  ;D

The do require patience at first but don't worry... after seven or eight years they really take off!    :P

Forget the night, live with us in forests of azure.

TBM

• The Botanical Madman
  • Global Moderator
  • Onward to the new
« Reply #53 on: September 13, 2013, 09:59:34 PM »

Update on my psychotria:

I've come up with a method that just might work for transitioning my P. viridis out of the terrariums and into a lower humidity. A few weeks ago while food shopping I found that some snack foods (mostly just cheese balls or pretzels) come in these large, transparent, barrel shaped plastic containers (a little bit bigger than the jars I have). So naturally I bought one, and once it was empty I cleaned it out and removed the label (had scratch at the label a bunch and leave it under hot water for a while, still a little glue residue but not enough to matter), once that was done I cut several holes into it. I then took my healthiest of the taller plants I have and placed it into this container.

The idea behind it is by having it in this plastic container, every week (maybe longer depending on how the plant looks) I'll cut another hole in it, slightly lowering the relative humidity, and once it can be removed and survive in whatever humidity my apartment is at, I'll just tape up the holes and repeat with the next plant that's ready to be acclimated to a lower humidity.

gator

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +12
« Reply #54 on: September 13, 2013, 11:11:17 PM »

Good idea TBM. Them big plastic cheese puff and pretzel jars could be recycled and used for a number of applications. I've learned that in my humid climate, w/ P. Alba the plants don't need much hardening off once taken out of the terrarium. How many stages of humidity reduction are you shooting for? In my opinion (I don't know how dry your climate is) you could just poke some holes in the cheese jug and not worry about having to add/remove holes in the future  ;)

TBM

• The Botanical Madman
  • Global Moderator
  • Onward to the new
« Reply #55 on: September 14, 2013, 05:54:44 AM »

I was hoping the acclimation from the completely humid glass jar to the dryer air of the rest of my apartment will take around 3 weeks, I only put it into the plastic one yesterday so we'll see how quickly it can acclimate.

Frog Pajamas

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +576
  • Zone 7A
« Reply #56 on: October 16, 2013, 01:31:36 PM »

Woot! My first sprouts came up last week. Two different leaves right now, and at least a couple more look like soon.  ;D

Sunshine

• Global Moderator
  • Hibernating
« Reply #57 on: October 16, 2013, 07:47:19 PM »

Looking good frog pajamas! It looks like a good portion of the leaf it above the soil line. You should try your best to keep humidity around it high to prevent it from drying out. :)

Frog Pajamas

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +576
  • Zone 7A
« Reply #58 on: October 16, 2013, 08:33:58 PM »

Yep, I pulled it out of it's ziplock home to take the pic, but otherwise they are all in gallon bags or a fish tank with plastic wrap cover to keep humidity close to 100%.

I do have one plant that was rooted when I got it that is about to be too tall to fit in either, and I noticed some rot on a leaf touching the top. Should I reduce the humidity over a few weeks to acclimate it to regular indoor humidity, or do I need to find something larger to keep it in higher humidity indefinitely?

Sunshine

• Global Moderator
  • Hibernating
« Reply #59 on: October 16, 2013, 08:41:49 PM »

I would  try to remove most of the rot but keep a tiny bit along the edges so they don't dry out and rot even more than they already are. I would keep it in something larger until it becomes established.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 22