Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Iboga from seed  (Read 30177 times)

Lukas123

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +64
  • High on Life
Iboga from seed
« on: August 16, 2013, 12:14:13 PM »

HI all,

Some time ago a seed supplier i have bought seeds from told me that he had an Iboga plant/bush that soon are having ripe seedpods and that seeds are for sale.
I have had extremely good quality seeds from this vendor and even though he is expensive i was quite excited as i always have wanted to try grow Iboga.
I ordered a pack of Iboga seeds and it did cost me 50$.
The seeds came delivered in a plastic zip-lock baggie full of moist sphagnum moss.
I put the baggie in a location where it didn't receive direct sunlight.
After about 4 days i had read some information about germinating Iboga seeds and although the teks varied a lot i decided to plant the seeds in small pots with seed starter soil.
So i cut open the baggie and started to plant the seeds about 0.5 to 1 cm down the soil.
When i got the 17th seed i noticed it had already germinated in the moist sphagnum moss.
I plated this seed also down the soil but now i got unsure and went to see what the seller had given me for advice on germinating these seeds.
The seller gave the advice to leave the seeds in the plastic baggie with the moist sphagnum moss until they germinated.
I was only to poke some holes in the bag for fresh air and to make sure the sphagnum moss was moist but not wet.
I decided to leave the remaining 4 to 5 seeds in the baggie.
So now im waiting for the seeds in the baggie to germinate and for the seeds in the pots to come up from the soil.
The Iboga seeds did look very fresh and im sure they are the best quality one can get.
The seller picks the seeds when its time to deliver so they are always very fresh.
Ask if there is something you want to know.
I can update with more pics as this experiment goes on but for now i have these pics:

Lukas
Give a man a bread and he will have food for one day. Teach him to grow plants and he will spend all day in the garden drinking beer.

nobody

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +335
  • Hidden Member Extraordinaire
Re: Iboga from seed
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 12:47:51 PM »

Can you pm or post the sellers info?

« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 08:43:35 AM by nobody »
¨At any time, you can turn on your computer, log into Facebook and watch humanity´s collective ego, mid masturbation¨.

Lukas123

• Trader
  • High on Life
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 05:39:15 PM »

Well, its nothing i keep a secret but is it allowed to post seller links and info here?
Most forums only allows one to post sponsor links.

Lukas123
Give a man a bread and he will have food for one day. Teach him to grow plants and he will spend all day in the garden drinking beer.

New Wisdom

• Professional Cactus Hoarder
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +223
  • Zone 6B
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 07:43:17 PM »

Yeah, you can post your supplier.
Cactus = Life

Mandrake

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +13
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2013, 11:39:13 PM »

Well, its nothing i keep a secret but is it allowed to post seller links and info here?
Most forums only allows one to post sponsor links.

It is allowed to post seller links, preferably in the Seed and Plant Suppliers section. Only condition would be that the seller is a publicly available, legal business, with a proper web page/store front. So I moved your last post with the seller information to the suppliers section, feel free to edit any information in the new main post here if you deem it necessary.

Thank you for sharing,

Mandrake

Lukas123

• Trader
  • High on Life
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2013, 08:07:19 PM »

It is all good.
Now the sellers info is in the right place.
Tnx.

Lukas123

semaphore

• Trading Score: +4
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2013, 01:38:25 PM »

We have a research centre in South Africa that uses iboga and he states that its extremely hard to grow outside of its environment.

Shpongle Lover

• Trading Score: +3
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2013, 03:37:58 AM »

Luckily "hard" and impossible are not synonymous.  If the seeds arrive without being confiscated, I'm going to give it my best efforts.   :)

S.L.
You say you want a change, then make a change.

semaphore

• Trading Score: +4
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2013, 09:37:08 AM »

Luckily "hard" and impossible are not synonymous.  If the seeds arrive without being confiscated, I'm going to give it my best efforts.   :)

S.L.

What i mean is they will get to seedling stage and die :P

nobody

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +335
  • Hidden Member Extraordinaire
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2013, 10:30:42 AM »

It really just depends on being able to recreate the natural environment, it is not too hard f you have the time and money. I have several that are well past seedlings. ;)

« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 08:40:00 AM by nobody »
¨At any time, you can turn on your computer, log into Facebook and watch humanity´s collective ego, mid masturbation¨.

Shpongle Lover

• Trading Score: +3
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2013, 12:34:59 PM »

Then you and I may have to have a bit more of a detailed discussion in the future!   :)

S.L.
You say you want a change, then make a change.

MadPlanter

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +929
  • Tye dyed spirit
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2013, 04:29:08 PM »

Any seeds outside the shell yet bro? I must say it isn't as hard as it would seem to remove the seed shell. I used a blade from a exacto knife. Good luck!
Spreading love!

Lukas123

• Trader
  • High on Life
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2013, 11:04:05 PM »

Oh my, you got it past dropping the seedshell?
I made a mistake putting the seed into soil before they germinated.
So i took them out when i saw the one that had sprouted had died.
Too damp and moist soil i guess.
So i put them back in the moist sphagnum moss in the zip baggie.
Some germinated and i then made a special soil-mix with large sand /gravel that i cleaned well, 2-4mm in size, and some citrus soil.
I used 80% gravel/large sand and 20% soil if i remember correctly.
I put the germinated seeds about 1cm down and this time things are looking very much better.
I have 2 sprouts coming up but still with the seed-shell as helmet and one more on the way.
I do hope more germinates but if not i will order more seeds.
The seed-shell is quite hard and i will try help the seedlings get rid of it with a small electrical cutter and scalpel.
But i will only do a mini cut each day and let the seedling do the work.
The seeds are indeed viable and of very nice quality, i regret doing that first mistake of putting them into soil before germinating.
I try to take some pics in a few days.

MadPlanter

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +929
  • Tye dyed spirit
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2013, 07:10:14 PM »

Yes sir six out of the seed shell as of now. I'm sure you'll be fine just do what feels right. Definitely dab the shell with water at least once daily if not more. They are much tougher for sure when drying out. Gook luck!
Spreading love!

happyconcacti

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +330
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2013, 04:33:16 PM »

Hi lukas123,

How long did you leave the seeds in the baggie with the moss?

The seeds arrived two days ago and one had a tiny tap root showing. How long should I leave the others in the baggie?

How long should the tap root be before transplanting to the sand/soil mix?

Also, some of the seeds arrived with a small areas of what appears to be white mold (mildew). Has anyone had that from dbotany? Is there anything I should do to resolve that?

For germination, what temperature should I aim for? I have the thermostat set to 80F (27C) and nearly 100% humidity.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated,
HCC
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 04:36:58 PM by happyconcafe »
Pages: [1] 2 3