Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Iboga from seed  (Read 30178 times)

MadPlanter

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +929
  • Tye dyed spirit
Re: Iboga from seed
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2013, 02:00:03 AM »

I got my seeds from dbotany. I actually got both iboga and E. novogranatense. That seed is not an iboga sadly. It is surely a E. novo if dbotany is where that came from. The iboga seed is way different. Like a little brain with wrinkles all over like lines of a finger print. I'll try and post a good pic of one tomorrow.
Spreading love!

Shpongle Lover

• Trading Score: +3
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2013, 02:50:47 AM »

Can you post (or PM me with) a close-up, well focused picture of the seeds you received??

I can't imagine dBotany fouled up, but anything is possible...If so, I'm VERY disappointed.

S.L.
You say you want a change, then make a change.

Shpongle Lover

« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2013, 03:06:27 AM »

OK...so I checked for images on-line, and MadPlanter is correct!  The seeds are Erythroxylum novogranatense.  But there is an incredibly happy ending to the story.  I e-mailed dBotany and he's sending me the correct seeds on Monday!!!  It took him less than 5 minutes to respond to my e-mail.

I say give this guy all our business if you are interested in either one or both of these plants.

Now I have to shift gears and learn everything I can about properly caring for Erythroxylum novogranatense.  I guess I'm going to have to re-title my "Iboga" thread.   :-[

S.L.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 03:08:09 AM by Shpongle Lover »

MadPlanter

• Global Moderator
  • Tye dyed spirit
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2013, 04:12:53 AM »

Hell ya two birds with one stone. Gotta love that!
Spreading love!

olyd88

• Fallen Angel
  • Trader
  • Trading Score: +8
  • always positive!
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2013, 04:35:06 AM »

perhaps they are running out the Iboga seeds, and trying to fool people with this technique,  >:( , wtf!
Holy Family Ethnobotanical Garden Sdn.Bhd(2018-2030)

Greentoe

• Trading Score: +238
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2013, 04:52:27 AM »

perhaps they are running out the Iboga seeds, and trying to fool people with this technique,  >:( , wtf!
Doudt it since he is sending him more seeds and it is fairly easy to distinguish  the difference between the two. It was probably just an honest mistake and it sounds like the guys making good on it by sending him the right seeds.

I'd look at it like getting free seeds now. Instead of just getting to start one interesting species now he gets to start two, both of which aren't too common.

olyd88

• Fallen Angel
  • Trader
  • Trading Score: +8
  • always positive!
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2013, 05:03:32 AM »

I'd look at it like getting free seeds now. Instead of just getting to start one interesting species now he gets to start two, both of which aren't too common.

Yeah and both of the species are very interesting plants and he was very lucky to get it as 'free'. ::)
Holy Family Ethnobotanical Garden Sdn.Bhd(2018-2030)

Sunshine

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +96
  • Hibernating
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2013, 07:55:01 AM »

Novos are pretty easy to care for. Just make sure to let the soil dry out between waterings and you'll be fine. Hell, a friend of a friend actually let one get to the point of wilting and then watered it. It sprung back to life in only an hour!

Shpongle Lover

« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2013, 01:18:43 PM »

Been reading up on it on the dBotany web-site.  I'm actually kind of excited now about adding novo's to my stable of entheogenic plants.  I really need to dial it back or at least level-off my grows.  Fall has been unusually cold and they are predicting a bad winter. (Yeah, like they EVER get that right).

Going to go out today and score some larger terracotta pots.  Since these plants are eventually (I hope!) going to move out of my grow room and into my home, I'm actually toying with the idea of obtaining some acrylic paint and doing something special to decorate and honor the plants.

S.L.

happyconcacti

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +330
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2013, 04:13:13 PM »

Hi all,

I have one that sprouted much earlier than the others. But its been up with the seed coat for about 3 days.

I've been doing small cuts into the seed shell but I'm terribly afraid of damaging it. It looks like it actually need more time inside the shell as it seems to be fairly white without green.

Thoughts? Recommendations?

Thank you!
Hcc

Liana

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2013, 04:39:22 PM »

Keep it wet and let it work its way out.

You can place a small piece of wet paper towel/toilet paper over the seed to keep it moist without needing to spray the entire seedling/soil and oversaturate it.

The seedling from which I removed the seedcoat when the cotyledons were still white had the smallest leaves of all of my seedlings. In my experience, the seedlings that I allowed to battle their way out of the seedcoat were initially larger, more robust, and heartier than the seeds where I physically removed the seedcoats.

In fact, when a number of my 16-month old seedlings died of mysterious causes, the only one that survived was the last one to emerge; the one that I left virtually untouched except for covering with moistened tp.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 04:42:51 PM by Liana »
Be careful of the thought-seeds you plant in the garden of your mind, for seeds grow after their kind.

happyconcacti

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2013, 07:52:42 PM »

Hi Liana,

I followed the advice of just leaving it alone and it worked!

Here's exactly what I did:

Left in Sphagnum moss baggie until taproot was about 0.5cm long.
Planted about 1cm deep in soil mix 20% potting soil, 80% coarse sand.
Waited about a week for seed to emerge from soil.

Day 1: (starting from the seed emerging from the soil) 2 lateral cuts down the length of the seed coat. Very shallow cuts as not to damage the inside.

Day 2: removed a small amount of the seed coat near where the tap root emerged.

Day 3: attempted to remove more of the seed coat near the tap root. I was afraid of damaging the seedling, so I stopped the cut and put up the post above asking for advice.

Day 4: Mist seed with water, once in A.M. once in P.M.

Day 5,6,7,8: same as day 4

Day 9: I was worried the seedling was going to perish if it was in the coating any longer. I went to make a small cut and as soon as I touched the razor to the coat, it was loose enough that it just fell off.  :)

Hcc

MadPlanter

• Global Moderator
  • Tye dyed spirit
« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2013, 08:43:30 PM »

Nice man! Is that only one outta the shell so far? Glad to see others getting success with such an awesome plant. Good grow vibes!
Spreading love!

happyconcacti

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2013, 08:53:05 PM »

Yeah, only one out of the shell so far. Another one popped up but it will be a while before its out of the shell.

The other seeds I've sent off to various people and about 3 had turned to mush in the Sphagnum moss.

I'll probably try again soon.
Pages: 1 2 [3]