Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Found unattended birdy chick  (Read 10999 times)

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • Trading Score: +140
  • <3
Found unattended birdy chick
« on: May 23, 2017, 01:35:23 AM »

So I found this unattended birdy and took it in as I saw no parental birds around, it hid in a corner probably from the cold and the cat fox racoon or fret would probably come after it.

I gave it water, lots of insulating woll socks n such, a layer of disposable paper on top, a bowl of water that it liked to bathe in at first and an infra red lamp that keeps it at about 25 C, it has a place in the shadow to choose too.

I fed it worms and omlette, both were accepted but I know nutrition is critical, so first of all: What species is it, I need an ID please. Obviously the lamp tints the pictures red. (I changed this now, the lamp shines onto the box warming it but it doesnt shine on the bird. How old ? When will it be ready to care for itself ?

Turdus Merula ? By now I am very surw it is Turdus Merula, probably older than 2 weeks. As such it must be fed insects and can slowly start to accept certain fruit too.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 02:24:48 AM by BubbleCat »
Praise is mandatory.

fairdinkumseeds

• Trading Score: +545
  • May you reap exactly what you sow......
Re: Found unattended birdy chick
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 03:33:49 AM »

We have a heap of wildlife carer organizations here in OZ, and you can buy the food for injured animals at most animal stock feed places.
Kangaroo joey mix, insectivore birds mix, grain mash etc.
If they don't stock it they can order it within a few days. Not cheap though...
Reckon Googling "wildlife carer+your town" would be a good place to start.(or similar phrases)

Normally with birds here they are really close to the nest, and once you chase the other bigger birds away that are bashing them up, the mother comes back and leads them home. Normally watching from close by.

Or they are a bit older and have been injured. Hit a car or window. 1 night in a dark box to rest and reset the brain, then they fly away healthy the next day.
Your ID looks pretty spot on to my quick Googling, bit of a pest over here further down south here in OZ.
Good luck with the little fella.
 :)
Sucks, but AU-OS trade isn't cost effective or reliable anymore. Aussie trade encouraged, especially for cactus, dragonfruit, and colour fruited columns.
Hit me up! --> fairdinkumseeds.com/contact

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • <3
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 11:25:09 AM »

Well two issues leading to two objectives:

It cant fly and wont take any food unless fed. So I'll make sure it always has food on offer so it can learn feeding itself and I must give it a lot of space so it can do its running and trying to fly thing. Once it flies and eats its time for it.

Got house crickets, so no more scavenging.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 12:15:32 PM by BubbleCat »
Praise is mandatory.

Hummingbird

• Trading Score: 74
  • Got nectar?
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2017, 12:58:01 PM »

I had a lot experience caring for juvenile and injured birds as a kid, and in cases like these lets say there is a 50/50 chance the bird will survive. First I would check her from injuries, they often fall from the nest, break or scratch something. Next keep the bird warm all the time, specially at night. Make sure to feed it easily digested food such as ground corn mixed with water, through a syringe. Next and probably the most important thing is to keep them safe from stress and strange things they are not used to. So avoid grooming them often while they dont get used to you, and keep them safe from neighbor cats. They smell birds from miles away. Until they lose all their "baby" feathers and learn to feed/fly, they are very sensitive to every sudde change. And it may take a while depending on the species of the bird. They also need to be fed and given water every few hours since bird metabolism is very fast! It's a wonderful thing you are helping this birdy (so unusual for a cat lol), best of luck!

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • <3
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2017, 02:12:43 PM »

Well my plan is simple:

Avoid any unnecessary disturbance, it sure is better of if it doesnt remember the creature bringing it up, let alone gets attached to it.
So as soon as it seems fit it will be given the possibility to leave.
In my opinion flying and sourcing food are the requirements for it to be considered fit to leave.

I've done my reading regarding nutrition, its natural nutrition serves it with sufficient moisture so it doesnt need to be given water and further doing so is to be avoided as it may end up in the lungs and cause an infection.

Feeding will be kept as close to natural as possible, I will weigh it soon and see if it gains.

Edit:

This is a feeding male. So this is how I try to do feeding, lotsa juicy protein.

Lastly it has no bare skin, the need for warmth should not be too high, the lamp will certainly do.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 02:55:00 PM by BubbleCat »
Praise is mandatory.

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • <3
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2017, 05:13:56 PM »

Looks good, an adult comes in at about 100 gr. (sauce: inturwebs) and this one comes in at a conservative 70 gr.
Praise is mandatory.

ONandONandON

• Trading Score: +76
  • Looking 4 Supercalifragilistic Expialidocious Spp.
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2017, 06:10:52 PM »

looks like is in good hands, just keep the caterpillars coming..
i wouldn't worry about human interaction, that's all just hype.
we all come from the garden and to it we shall return

LIBERTYNY

• Trading Score: +85
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2017, 06:41:37 AM »

In the US typicaly when you find a bird like that,  they fell out of the nest / or the mother pushed them to help them learn to fly.   Either way once they are on the ground the mothers will rarely come back for them.

make sure to give him room to get out from under the heat lamp so they dont overheat,  Also check their but as young chicks tend to get a build up of droopings on their rear that can constipate them to death / their mother usually takes care of this.   Feed supplys sell a vitiman/electrolite/probiotic mix that will help for about 2$

one of the best subsitute foods for chicks is scrambled eggs with the shell finely powdered in the mix,   some tiny stones also helps their digestion as they have different stomaches than us.

I had one chick I managed to raise to adult hood, and he remebered me for years,  he would always land on my head and expect me to feed him   8)
III%

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • <3
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2017, 02:15:05 PM »

Sturnus Vulgaris is another possible but less likely ID.
Praise is mandatory.

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • <3
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2017, 10:09:18 PM »

please explain the drooping, saw some bare skin about there
Praise is mandatory.

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • <3
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2017, 03:11:43 PM »

Good 10 meters of flight today :)
Praise is mandatory.

mr.miyagi

• Trader
  • Trading Score: 10
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2017, 05:26:17 PM »

I remember one time, in a house I lived in a long time ago, Somehow a wild bird got in through the attic and made its way into my closet, I think it was either sick or very close to dying as it befriended me and was very tame for a few days, It passed sadly :(

Mangrove

• Li'l Lorax
  • Trading Score: +191
  • We're all here because we're not all there.
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2017, 09:56:41 PM »

please explain the drooping, saw some bare skin about there

Cancer.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 10:40:47 PM by Mangrove »
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.--Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • <3
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2017, 10:43:25 PM »

The good news: No cancer. Saw it pick some stuff from the ground today, also saw it take a sip. The one picture was taken a few days ago when I decided I need an accurate reading, the other picture today. Its gaining.

The feathers need to be more fatty, I hope just like flying drinking and picking that will too start coming soon.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 10:46:30 PM by BubbleCat »
Praise is mandatory.

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • <3
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2017, 04:58:01 PM »

Exquisite taste in plants. Guardian (and fertilizer) of Salvia.
Praise is mandatory.
Pages: [1] 2 3