Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Magnesium or Iron Deficiency?  (Read 7847 times)

modern

• Trading Score: +199
Magnesium or Iron Deficiency?
« on: May 29, 2016, 01:50:29 AM »

Assuming one doesn't cause the other which does this most likely resemble? This is a new plant without a massive root system. It is also in a very bright shade and perhaps too much light may cause this? Not sure if it needs more shade.

I use a fertilizer with all minors and tend to use lower N content usually 1-3-4 ratio. pH hasn't been tested but I assume it is not lockout issue. It might just be a issue with not being able to uptake enough nutes due to low root mass?
Best time to sow is 5 years ago...

modern

Re: Magnesium or Iron Deficiency?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2016, 03:31:13 AM »

Here is a 'normal' leaf on another older plant

Psylocke

• Curandero
  • Trading Score: +56
  • Howdy Y'all
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2016, 04:27:34 AM »

So what is the the difference in soil chem between this plant and the older plant? I would assume a leafy green plant like psychria would benefit from higher N content. Soil pH is very important in micro-nutrient uptake. Are  both of these plants in the same soil type? Could light or humidity be an issue?
Undergoing the formality of being alive.

TBM

• The Botanical Madman
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +75
  • Onward to the new
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2016, 05:44:46 AM »

Might need some fertilizer? Have you given it any recently?

Soil pH is very important in micro-nutrient uptake. Are  both of these plants in the same soil type?

http://sharetheseeds.me/forum/index.php?topic=2155.msg15713#msg15713

modern

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2016, 04:41:32 PM »

Same soil... 40/40/20 coir/peat/pumice.

I have fertilized with an almost balanced 1-1-1 ratio might be higher p or k. I fertilize all my plants the same. 

I'll  check pH next time I water. This plant is in slightly more light (Bright shade) than the older plant so Ill reduce light as well to see if it helps. Humidity is about he same for both. There might be an improvement with higher humidity but rather the plant get use to normal humidity. Rh of 40-60%

This isn't psychotria and ifk nute needs of 'd.cab' or w.e. plant this is. I don't want to over fertilize but rather add more magnesium or iron if plant might be like more. Next feeding I'll use more N.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 04:47:36 PM by modern »

plantlight

• pl -- for short
  • Trading Score: +73
  • Invisible Man in a Fluorescent Suit
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2016, 06:57:52 PM »

It might just be a issue with not being able to uptake enough nutes due to low root mass?

Hope you figure this out because I'm interested in anything that will improve plant growth consistency.  I had a similar issue recently with psychotria viridis.  Just adding this info to ponder as it shows something similar. Solving it would take more experimentation.

Attached is a photo I took last month of 4 different leaves from the same clone all started at the same time.   The 2 in the center, black pots,  had exactly the same treatment.  Soil mix 50/50 organic/inorganic and Osmocote plus mixed according to package directions.  Started in water and transferred to soil after sprouting.

The yellowed leaves presented fairly soon after planting in January and continued at least until April when this photo was taken.  Today, the plant is very green so the effect doesn't last.  One thing I can't help but notice, in addition to the yellowed leaves, is that the stem is shorter and the leaves are larger.  This difference between the plants is still evident today. 

One difference is the soil mix used as part of the organic component.  I don't know the quantities as the soils were premixed.  Both mixes contain similar ingredients but each contains one ingredient that is not in the other.  The soil on the left contains oyster shell lime and the one on the right contains coir.  Therefore, It might be a simple matter of ph affecting the young roots ability to uptake nutes.  ???

« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 07:18:19 PM by plantlight »
"Nature is the great visible engine of creativity, against which all other creative efforts are measured.” - T. McKenna

Psylocke

• Curandero
  • Trading Score: +56
  • Howdy Y'all
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2016, 10:57:21 PM »

Just to clarify, I meant the soil pH and not your water (although you could check water well). Peat moss is generally pretty acidic, so not sure if that may be part of the problem. Psychotria and D. Cab, being jungle plants, are probably well adapted to highly weathered acidic soils. But this is speculation on my part since I don't have much experience growing these plants. You could try a spray application of iron sulfate to see if they green up. Does your fertilizer include micro nutes? I like to use some type of compost since this helps provide micro nutes and build soil structure.
Undergoing the formality of being alive.