Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: ph and Nutrient Availability  (Read 7259 times)

bohofairy

• <3
ph and Nutrient Availability
« on: January 20, 2015, 01:07:33 AM »

One of the most common errors found in gardening comes from not checking the substrate/water pH. pH is a measure of acidity or alkalinity on a scale from 0(acid) to 14(base), 7 is neutral. A substrate's/water pH will have a direct influence on what nutrients will be available to a plant, regardless of what is physically in the substrate/water. Every species of plant has its preferred substrate/water pH. There are 3 ranges I use for each plant; optimal, tolerable, and death. When a plant is in its optimal pH range (which is different for every plant) it has the ability to uptake nutrients from the substrate with maximum efficiency. If the plant is residing in the tolerable range, nutrient uptake will be somewhat restricted. A plant in the tolerable zone will grow slowly and stunted with a possible sign of a nutrient deficiency when compared to a plant in its optimal zone. Outside of the tolerable range we will have nutrient lockout and death. Here's a handy chart to show what nutrients are available based on substrate/water pH.

Ideally, we would check our soil pH before we plant anything, and our water pH before each watering and feeding. When feeding it is important to note that you should test your pH after you add your fertilizer/food. Garden centers will carry soil testing kits that have N,P,K and pH. Here's an example via google images:

pH Problem Solver:

Adjusting your soil pH
If your soil is too acidic, you should add lime or wood ash.
If your soil is too alkaline, you should add aluminum sulfate.

Source- HGIC

Adjusting your water pH
If you water is too acidic, add soda ash or lime or pH up.
If your water is too alkaline add, apple cider vinegar or pH down.

gnosis

• Trading Score: +31
Re: ph and Nutrient Availability
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 12:18:22 AM »

I know that this is probably a stupid question but I was wondering if monitoring and making adjustments to your ph
(if necessary) is all you have to do to deliver the plants necessary nutrients.  I ask because I give my plants these little balls
I got at home depot it says its nutrients for the plants.  Also do all plants eat the same stuff?

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • Trading Score: +140
  • <3
Re: ph and Nutrient Availability
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 12:25:57 AM »

Basically its two steps:

All necessary nutrients must be present and in plant friendly form.

And then the ph must basically allow the plant to take the nutrients up.

That easy, so neither the correct ph will help your plants if the nutrients arent there, nor will the presence of nutrients help your plants when the ph is wrong so your plant cant make any use of the food.

:)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 01:28:55 PM by BubbleCat »
Praise is mandatory.