Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 22

Author Topic: Psychotria viridis propagation  (Read 141264 times)

madmonkeyz

• Trading Score: +2
  • To see things in the seed, that is genius. Lao Tzu
Re: Psychotria viridis propagation
« Reply #240 on: February 29, 2016, 04:16:12 AM »

1:1:1 compost soil:vermiculite:perlite

« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 06:48:19 PM by madmonkeyz »

TBM

• The Botanical Madman
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +75
  • Onward to the new
« Reply #241 on: February 29, 2016, 05:00:03 AM »

What kind of lighting does it have? Natural or artificial lights/how far from the lamp? Looks like it might be etiolated. Have you ever given it fertilizer?

plantlight

• pl -- for short
  • Trading Score: +73
  • Invisible Man in a Fluorescent Suit
« Reply #242 on: February 29, 2016, 05:34:11 AM »

Yep, it could be lighting related,  I forgot to ask about that.  I use low natural light and don't have any issues. 

Can eliminate drainage as an issue --your mixture is very good for drainage.  Also, the leaves are nicely formed so some nutrients are available.

If your lighting is ok,  it appears that either some nutrients are lacking or something is interfering with nutrient uptake? These plants prefer 6-7 ph.  I water with distilled water to provide this.

But still, I'm leaning toward nutrient deficiency.  This post has some nutrient charts http://sharetheseeds.me/forum/index.php?topic=2900.msg23403#msg23403. Maybe iron? ???

Something to think about but be careful not to overdo nutes.  These tender plants are easily burned.

"Nature is the great visible engine of creativity, against which all other creative efforts are measured.” - T. McKenna

madmonkeyz

• Trading Score: +2
  • To see things in the seed, that is genius. Lao Tzu
« Reply #243 on: February 29, 2016, 06:26:24 AM »

What kind of lighting does it have? Natural or artificial lights/how far from the lamp? Looks like it might be etiolated. Have you ever given it fertilizer?

natural light. but not direct.
never give any fertilizer so far. i have been thinking of giving them fish emulsion fertilizer. is that ok for them?

Yep, it could be lighting related,  I forgot to ask about that.  I use low natural light and don't have any issues. 

Can eliminate drainage as an issue --your mixture is very good for drainage.  Also, the leaves are nicely formed so some nutrients are available.

If your lighting is ok,  it appears that either some nutrients are lacking or something is interfering with nutrient uptake? These plants prefer 6-7 ph.  I water with distilled water to provide this.

But still, I'm leaning toward nutrient deficiency.  This post has some nutrient charts http://sharetheseeds.me/forum/index.php?topic=2900.msg23403#msg23403. Maybe iron? ???

Something to think about but be careful not to overdo nutes.  These tender plants are easily burned.

could it be chlorine in the tap water? thanks for the links. really helpful.

Frog Pajamas

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +576
  • Zone 7A
« Reply #244 on: February 29, 2016, 01:21:17 PM »

I know HCC was having issues with viridis and tap water. I think his did better once he starting using rain water.

They don't look bad anyways, in my opinion, and I wouldn't do anything drastic. Check ph of your water, switch to rain if possible.

plantlight

• pl -- for short
« Reply #245 on: February 29, 2016, 02:43:05 PM »

could it be chlorine in the tap water?

Chlorine has some effect as it kills microorganisms that break compost into nutrients but concentration in drinking water is usually pretty low.  The top layer of soil should neutralize it.  But I agree with Frog Pajamas on watering with rainwater if possible.  I collect rainwater for this purpose and use distilled water when I run low.

My ghetto rain water collection system:  http://sharetheseeds.me/forum/index.php?topic=1437.msg23280#msg23280
 :)
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 05:09:38 PM by plantlight »
"Nature is the great visible engine of creativity, against which all other creative efforts are measured.” - T. McKenna

TBM

• The Botanical Madman
  • Global Moderator
  • Onward to the new
« Reply #246 on: February 29, 2016, 08:44:45 PM »

^makes me want to jerry-rig something to collect rain water 8) If you're worried about chlorine in tap water, just leave it in in an open container for a few hours, the chlorine will evaporate.

misplant

• Trading Score: +81
« Reply #247 on: March 14, 2016, 06:33:28 PM »

without reading the whole thread, has anyone successfully grafted viridis onto alba stems?

hmmmm, I may have a use for that alba I cant seem to get rid of  :)
www.misplant.net

Life is short, Eat Dessert First

plantlight

• pl -- for short
« Reply #248 on: March 14, 2016, 07:02:32 PM »

I've read elsewhere that It's possible to do but I don't recall anyone on the forum mentioning that they've had success with it.  Thinking about trying it myself this year.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 07:03:29 PM by plantlight »

thunderhorse

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +15
« Reply #249 on: March 15, 2016, 02:51:08 PM »

and to see if i can pump a lil more from the leaf afterwards..

which is as far as i got for trying the "windowsill tek" - photes ripped from a post i made at SAB that i thought might help some readers here too..

had good times with viridis in my rainforest box but still far from perfect in there without some real sunshine ..
-only been at it with viridis successfully for about 2 years now or thereabouts..
but managed to get woody trunks in the rainforest box and it's good to know from this thread that that is a major thing regarding successful viridery :3
it was a struggle to get genuine viridis in uk .. only found it here once ..
and i owe all my successes so far with this beauty of a species to MP  8)
Bliss wishes and happy growing ; )
Deseos bien aventurados y bendiciones las mas luminosas
 .•*¨`*•✫ . . . ✫•*¨`*•.¸(¯`✫´¯)¸.•´*¨`*•+Don't trust Ethnopluntes in France- they sell dead, old, dry virola

TBM

• The Botanical Madman
  • Global Moderator
  • Onward to the new
« Reply #250 on: March 15, 2016, 04:24:09 PM »

Nice! The sprouts look healthy! The mother leaf on the other hand looks like it's almost spent, always worth seeing if it'll produce more sprouts though! If that mother leaf still has life left in it, it'll probably be a few months until you see more sprouts pop up.

thunderhorse

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +15
« Reply #251 on: March 17, 2016, 02:06:27 AM »

that leaf is so productive I already had 2 goes from it before and it's rooting all over and even sprouting at the tip of the leaf a whole plantlet :3

they start rooting in 2 weeks for me in aeroponics :3

will check it in 2 weeks if i remember and post - will be gearing up to move house tho so plz excuse if i forget at the 2 week mark

-will also be nice to see how fast the shoots come too using that post as the date marker
I believe i sped up the aeroponics method even more by using moss..

-just so glad to have them happen faster than expected
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 02:25:59 AM by thunderhorse »
Bliss wishes and happy growing ; )
Deseos bien aventurados y bendiciones las mas luminosas
 .•*¨`*•✫ . . . ✫•*¨`*•.¸(¯`✫´¯)¸.•´*¨`*•+Don't trust Ethnopluntes in France- they sell dead, old, dry virola

modern

• Trading Score: +199
« Reply #252 on: April 19, 2016, 01:41:49 PM »

So I'll be doing a plant hormone experiment similar to the one happyconcacti did a while back. I've found out to my dismay that ga3 in high concentrations will kill leafy plants(lost a few plants I've had for a few years). Cacti can handle close to 1000 ppm without dying but leaf plants will die. Cacti at high ga3 will stall for a while so not really a plus. Anything past 200 ppm will mainly affect flowering slowing growth. Over 500 ppm may kill plants.

I'll be experimenting with ga3 and naa both at 50 and 100 ppm and combos of the two on unrooted leaf cuttings. Will be rooting in pure coir horizontally in circle to fit in 3 inch pots. Naa effects root structure and growth not purely for rooting. Will be applied by soaking for a minute in solution then planted in high humidity. 1 control leaf not treatment just water soak.

Hope to have quicker and larger shoots. Ga3 breaks down naturally and naa in low amounts is considered safe. May also add another pgh but don't want to add too many variables. There are some plant 'steroids' that have many pros and are natural and safe which can help with viridis growth rate.

My grafting to kratom was a bust and stem on viridis turned black after cut likely infection ultimately killing it(very upsetting). For those that are able to experiment should try it as it may be worth while.
Best time to sow is 5 years ago...

LIBERTYNY

• Trading Score: +85
« Reply #253 on: April 26, 2016, 04:51:33 AM »

Whats the longest time it has taken for a PV leave to root/sprout  ?

I planted 6 half leaves on 11-18-2016,  Their all still mostly green.  I pulled on up from the medium today and it has a decent root system but no sprout yet ?

Seems to be taking a very long time

I have them in a humidity chamber at about 70-75 deg F under 3 CFL's, along with caapi's kratom, kanna. Which will likely be moved to a sunny window tomorow
III%

plantlight

• pl -- for short
« Reply #254 on: April 26, 2016, 05:01:52 AM »

I planted 11 leaves in soil mix last September.  Most have sprouted within the last month or 2 but there are 3 or four that still haven't sprouted - 7 months now.  The same set of leaf clones all sprouted in water within 3 months.  There were some leaves from another clone I started in August that seemed to grow at the same rate whether soil or water though.

I'm guessing that the difference must be that the focus is more on the root when planted in soil.  I haven't dug any of them up to compare though. 

Now for the longest ever for me in water was 4 months.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 22