Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 35

Author Topic: Plant Identification Thread  (Read 187017 times)

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • Trading Score: +140
  • <3
Re: Plant Identification Thread
« Reply #165 on: March 26, 2015, 02:57:05 PM »

A plant was described "having true runners". I am ruling out a BubbleCatish linguistic problem, "true" would be obsolete if the following difference didnt exist:

Runners - afaik runners are stolons and only reffered to as "runners" if they are above or on ground level. Can I consider this a "true runner" ?

If a "true runner" was known, a "untrue runner" must exist. What is a untrue runner ? Is it running well below soil level ? Or might they be rhizomes that do the runners job (pop up somewhere and form a new plant) whilst being the plants root, therefore the plant wouldnt have qualified runners?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 03:00:08 PM by BubbleCat »
Praise is mandatory.

marshmellow

• Trading Score: +29
« Reply #166 on: March 26, 2015, 06:38:44 PM »

Found some nice fat san pedro they look to be true but I'm not an expert , but one looks monstrous. Any idea what kind of Pedro they are?

happyconcacti

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +330
« Reply #167 on: March 27, 2015, 04:43:02 PM »

holy crap! I hope you bought those. Very pretty.

I think they look like the solaritea "short-spined peruvianas" which was later deemed "pachanoi" by others. When he sent me some, he now called them "short-spined peruvianas (pachanoi?)"
http://sanpedrocactuses.blogspot.com/2014/06/trichocereus-peruvianus-short-spine_9.html

They have monstrose tendencies :)
http://sanpedrocactuses.blogspot.com/2014/06/trichocereus-peruvianus-short-spine.html

Good find whatever they are!

P.s. I was looking at the label in the first pic, it looks like they've used neonicitinoids (sp?) on em. Be sure to remove any flower buds for the next 10 years. They'll kill the bees.

Hcc

« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 04:45:13 PM by happyconcacti »

SoulGrower

• Trading Score: +151
« Reply #168 on: March 27, 2015, 06:28:12 PM »

Sorry to get this thread a bit off topic, but...

P.s. I was looking at the label in the first pic, it looks like they've used neonicitinoids (sp?) on em. Be sure to remove any flower buds for the next 10 years. They'll kill the bees.

Really?!  I "have" to use this class of insecticide (dinotefuran) on my banyan tree each year (lucky I guess bc receptacle of flower is inaccesbile to a bee) bc of horrible whitefly infestation.  I've used it with a understanding that they have a reasonable half life.. Annual application due to observation of it not working after about 9-10 months and recommended rate.  I also do a basal trunk application which confines it, mostly, to the tree.  This is recommended by my extension office btw.

This paper Are Neonicotinoids Killing Bees indicates quite a range of half-lifes in soil (depending on which, Table 3.1).  I believe half-lifes are much quicker with photodegredation also.  I'm def gonna read this whole publication though, so I'm better informed.

You got me sweating  :-\ bc I like to think I'm responsible as I can be when I HAVE to resort to synthetic chems, which isn't often.  But in my state we have crazy and out of control introduced pests.  These whiteflys (an exotic introduced type) are defoliating our native ficus like the plague.

And for what it is worth.. I had to have a bee colony, that occupied a screech owl nesting box, professionally relocated from the same tree that I treat.  In my area, it's hard to believe that there is a problem with the bee population, though I know it to be true.  I know of an active hive in a neighbor's tree that has been there for at least 3 years now.

BTW, just out of curiosity, what did you notice that indicated the use of an insecticide hcc?

Still, probably pretty good advice to remove the flower buds from the cacti for the next few years at least  ;)
You don't have a soul
You are a soul
You have a body
C.S Lewis

marshmellow

• Trading Score: +29
« Reply #169 on: March 27, 2015, 08:31:50 PM »

Nice, I bought them just because of the monstrous one.
Thank HCC

Greench

• Trading Score: +3
« Reply #170 on: March 30, 2015, 06:41:28 PM »

Would anyone know the name of this fellow that decided to grow in my garden?
If it can help, it's around 10°C in daytime and 5°C at night in my garden at the moment.
It's not one of the bad weeds I usually get.

Cheers!

Roze

• Trading Score: +210
  • After winter, trees are relieved.
« Reply #171 on: March 30, 2015, 06:54:44 PM »

Its Eruca sativa to me.

Edible, goes great in salads and sandwiches. ;)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 11:46:12 PM by Roze »
Be weird.  Be random.   Be who you are.

MadPlanter

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +929
  • Tye dyed spirit
« Reply #172 on: March 30, 2015, 08:22:02 PM »

This grew randomly in my garden. Thought it could be a leaf veggie or whatever. Looks cool anyone know what it is?

Spreading love!

Chicsa

• Botonitect
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +172
  • Ikhinsh Toksali
« Reply #173 on: March 30, 2015, 08:27:21 PM »

I have these too! I had thought they were Wild Lettuce but I dont think it is
https://tranceplants.net/avactis-images/Wildlettuceplant.JPG

EIRN

• Golden Member
  • Trading Score: +212
« Reply #174 on: March 30, 2015, 10:32:09 PM »

This grew randomly in my garden. Thought it could be a leaf veggie or whatever. Looks cool anyone know what it is?

Try to see Beets (Beta vulgaris)

Roze

• Trading Score: +210
  • After winter, trees are relieved.
« Reply #175 on: March 31, 2015, 12:06:54 AM »

One thing I'm sure: Its edible!

My guess is that is some type of rumex, probably rumex acetosa or crispus.

But maybe Eirn its also right.

To have 100% sure you need to see the roots or waiting that flourish.
Be weird.  Be random.   Be who you are.

New Wisdom

• Professional Cactus Hoarder
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +223
  • Zone 6B
« Reply #176 on: March 31, 2015, 02:17:25 AM »

Marshmallow, I have some of that same clone. It is altman's monstrose clone.  They are only slightly monstrose. They do a lot of rib switching.  Sometimes they aren't labelled right. I've noticed lately that they've gotten very lazy with their labelling. Now they usually only put genera on labels. 

Cactus = Life

Auxin

• Trading Score: +65
« Reply #177 on: March 31, 2015, 06:30:14 AM »

Stuffs flowering, so a good time for a hike.
This first critter is one I know I should recognize it. Its just not clicking.
Pink 3 petaled flowers borne in pairs, alternate oval bluntly pointed leaves, the dried berries from last year look like they may have been 1 cm wide, growing on a hillside where sagebrush was transitioning to grass (ie. its not aquatic :P )

Second critter I know I've never seen before. It might count as a terrestrial orchid? Looks like its pollinated by a moth or a small hummingbird, judging by the nectar filled tube. Tiny plants with great flowers that would look like dragonflies if drugs were involved. Sun was too bright to see that the pictures sucked, lol

Ian Morris

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +52
« Reply #178 on: March 31, 2015, 06:55:26 AM »

First one looks like a hardy begonia but there is so much variety this isn't really getting closer.  Was it succulent like, I mean were the stems fatty and full of fluid?

Auxin

• Trading Score: +65
« Reply #179 on: March 31, 2015, 07:03:33 AM »

New growth stems were fleshy and juicy looking, old stems were dry and woody.
Height was hard to judge as I was watching for rattlesnakes while crawling up the hill, lol, but it looked to be 9' tall.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 35