Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Grafting on vertical stocks  (Read 7756 times)

Greentoe

• Trading Score: +238
Grafting on vertical stocks
« on: November 24, 2013, 04:37:24 AM »

Well awhile ago I came across this website talking about grafting multiple scions onto a single pereskiopsis. It seems like a good way to fit as many grafts as possible into a small space. Here's a link to the website http://www.lapshin.org/cultivar/N12/articl-e.htm

I've done this with mostly lophophoras so far, but have recently started trying with trichocereus bridgesii seedlings too. I've been getting a better success rate when using fatter seedlings. Its a little trickier than normal seedling grafts, but not much. After a couple tries you get the hang of it. I'd recommend trying a few normal seedling grafts first and reading New Wisdoms thread about grafting if you haven't already (I feel he does a better job of explaining all of the fine details)

Pretty much you just cut off an areole by cutting right behind it at an angle then cutting straight under it until you hit the other cut. The link up there has a picture that explains it better. Once cut the areole you can see a ring of vascular tissue that connects the areole to the  main stem. After cutting the stock you just cut a seedling from its roots and stick it on there overlapping the vascular ring. The slime from the pereskiopsis will hold it in place. After that you just treat it like you would any other graft, throw it in the dark for a couple days and then after taking it out put it in a humidity chamber for a week or so. After that reintroduce it to normal conditions. With a little bit of luck they'll stick. Like anything else practice makes perfect the more you do it the easier it seems to get.

Hope someone finds this helpful.

Greentoe

Re: Grafting on vertical stocks
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 04:52:06 AM »

Most of the ones that I've tried that haven't taken just shrivel up and fall off. Adding vaseline would probably help with that. One time now the pereskiopsis actually started a new branch that pushed the seedling off the plant. Didn't see that coming. I was under the impression an areole had to be present for a new branch to start, but apparently that's not the case.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 05:00:37 AM by Greentoe »

hereje

• Trading Score: +90
  • Zone: 5a 5b
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 05:56:32 AM »

I like that idea - would be an interesting plant to look at if one was to graft ten or twelve different cacti to the same root stock as a kind of display piece
Hmmm... what does this button do?

Sunshine

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +96
  • Hibernating
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2013, 06:30:57 AM »

Keep trying bro! I'm rooting for ya!

One of those successfully grafted would be worth a pretty penny on ebay once its developed.

New Wisdom

• Professional Cactus Hoarder
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +223
  • Zone 6B
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2013, 09:10:58 AM »

I just tried this with 10 seedlings. 1 astrophytum on top, mystery species of astrophytum. Then 2 caesps on areoles, 1 bridgesii on areole, then 6 random cultivar williamsii. I'll update with pictures as soon as my USB cord for my camera gets here.
Cactus = Life

Greentoe

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 05:57:05 AM »

I just tried this with 10 seedlings. 1 astrophytum on top, mystery species of astrophytum. Then 2 caesps on areoles, 1 bridgesii on areole, then 6 random cultivar williamsii. I'll update with pictures as soon as my USB cord for my camera gets here.

Please upload some pics I want to see that thing. I need to buy a larger variety of cacti seeds to start grafting. I've done one now with a bridgesii on top and lophs down the side and two with bridgesii all over. I think the ones with columular cacti grafted on top and buttons on the side will be able to stay on the pereskiopsis longer than the ones with columular cacti on the sides. Can't wait to see what they look like when they're all grown up.

New Wisdom

• Global Moderator
  • Zone 6B
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2013, 10:05:59 AM »

Looks like the bridgesii fell off unfortunately. But there's still 9 on there that look good. I used vaseline on these ones to keep them from drying up and it seems to help them stay in place. I'll have a pic up tomorrow.
Cactus = Life

Greentoe

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2013, 06:22:15 AM »

Looks like the bridgesii fell off unfortunately. But there's still 9 on there that look good. I used vaseline on these ones to keep them from drying up and it seems to help them stay in place. I'll have a pic up tomorrow.

Still waiting to see that pic. So far I'm having far less success doing this with trichocereus seedlings. They seem to be a little harder to graft. I've managed to get a few to take on the top of pereskiopsis but none on the sides so far. I'll keep trying at it. I should also have some ariocarpus restus seeds arriving soon, so I'll probably end up tryin this with a few of those.

New Wisdom

• Global Moderator
  • Zone 6B
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2013, 07:44:30 AM »

I'd say ariocarpus are meant to be centerpieces on the top. Hehe. They're so pretty. I have a few different kinds of ariocarpus grafts going right now. Trigonus and retusus. I will have 4 other kinds here soon growing. 

Here's the pictures of that graft.  The trich fell off and the astrophytum seedling was too young and dried up.  one of the lophs took for sure though on the side and some of the others are still looking good.
Cactus = Life

BigHeart

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2014, 02:04:29 AM »

I know this is an older thread, but it has some good information so I'll add something I've read from another source that might help those of you who had grafts fail.

To help insure that the graft doesn't fall off, and to also keep humidity up, I've read that you can take some saran wrap or small plastic ziploc (cut to size) and put it over the top to exert downward pressure a little, then clip a clothespin on the bottom of the plastic around the pereskiopsis stalk.  If you don't have a clothespin, I'd imagine a rubber band, hair tie, twist tie from a loaf of bread, or a bit of string would work too. 

TBM

• The Botanical Madman
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +75
  • Onward to the new
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2014, 08:25:57 AM »

I've also used that technique before, I saw that being used once in a video months back (searching randomly on YouTube, it was completely in Spanish, can't remember the name), and it's what I've done since my first graft 8)

gator

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +12
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2014, 02:41:53 PM »

New Wisdom and Greentoe; any updated pics?

New Wisdom

• Global Moderator
  • Zone 6B
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2014, 04:56:42 AM »

I gave mine away a while back, but i do have a picture of it a couple months after i grafted it.
Cactus = Life

BigHeart

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2014, 08:48:40 PM »

looks awesome!  what was the growth rate like compared to a single top graft?

Greentoe

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2014, 01:22:51 AM »

The growth rate is about the same. I ended up cutting them off the pereskiopsis when they started touching each other. Unfortunately I didn't take pictures. Will have to next time around.

It's a good way to fit several grafts in a small area.
Pages: [1] 2