Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Healthy Homemade Recipes  (Read 7777 times)

PermieGing

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +11
  • Grow the future of humanity!
Healthy Homemade Recipes
« on: November 19, 2013, 03:33:17 PM »

Caution: vegetarians, this thread will have pics of meat.

This thread is meant to inspire some culinary creativity, and of course bring awareness to how food can be healthy, and taste good!!!

I saw something kind of like what i want this to be, on the nexus the other week. Thought it would be a great addition to sts!

I think it would be awesome if we included some wild foraged foods as well.

So here goes...
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 04:13:41 PM by PermieGing »
“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.”  Bill Mollison

"You can solve all the worlds problems in a garden" Geoff Lawton

PermieGing

• Trader
Re: Healthy Homemade Recipes
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 03:35:51 PM »

Coffee Soaked Oatmeal
Makes about 1.25 cups of amazing oatmeal.

this is a cheap, easy, and highly customizable recipe for making a quick batch of healthy oats for any meal (my favorite is breakfast, maybe with some eggs)

the main purpose of soaking the oats in coffee is to neutralize the Phytic acid. phytic acid binds to many minerals in your body, and makes them unavailable for absorption. physic acid is found in all (or most?) seeds, including grains. fermenting, sprouting, or soaking in an acidic solution are a few ways to negate the effects of the phytic acid. also, soaking them in coffee tastes great.
Apparently, one could also use viegar, citrus, or yogurt to acheieve similar results concerning the phytic acid.

anyways :P

Ingredients:

- ~1 cup oats (i use the rolled oats, however I'm attempting to go gluten free and will be ordering some gluten free oats from bobs red mill)
- ~1 cup warm coffee
- pint sized mason jar
- LOTS of cinnamon
- Parsley
- Fruit (can be frozen, i like frozen wild blueberries)
- quality raw HONEY :)

1) pour the cup of warm coffee in the mason jar, and fill it up with oats until its about .5 inch underneath the coffee level. put the lid on and let em soak overnight
2) after they're done soaking, pour them in a pot, along with 1 cup of warm water
3) stir to homogenize, then bring to a boil. after its at a boil, reduce heat to a simmer, and stir stir stir. stir like every 1 minuteish (its ok if some burns to the bottom)
4) after the water has reduced to the desired consistency, add the frozen fruit (skip this step if using fresh fruit), and bring back up to a simmer, or whatever temp you want to eat it at
5) after water has reduced to the desired consistency, pour it out into a bowl, add the LOTS of cinnamon, fresh fruit, and parsley (or what until its a bit cooler to preserve the enzymes in the fresh food)
6) after its cooled sufficiently, add the enzyme rich quality raw honey (don't wanna hurt them enzymes, or you might as well be adding refined sugar with some flavor)

ENJOY :)

-the 1st pic is the soaked oats in the pot, without the water added
-the 2nd pic is the oats boiling, just about to turn it down to a simmer
-the 3rd pic is the finished oatmeal and has frozen blueberries and banana in it, before it get cinnamonated  and honeyized, and also before mixing :P
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 02:14:19 PM by PermieGing »
“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.”  Bill Mollison

PermieGing

• Trader
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 05:58:00 PM »

i hate how it turns my pics :(

PermieGing

• Trader
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 02:17:33 PM »

Baked wild salmon recipe otw! (If we get some this weekend :P, i usually grill it on coals in the spring/ summer, idk may grill it for the recipe)

If no salmon, it will be local farm eggs with sauteed mushrooms and spinach, maybe some caramelized onions