Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: [VIDEO] Africanized Killer Bees invading America  (Read 9914 times)

Sunshine

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +96
  • Hibernating
[VIDEO] Africanized Killer Bees invading America
« on: November 16, 2013, 03:16:51 AM »

This is a very educational video on a relatively new epidemic in America. Check it out.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 01:29:27 AM by Sunshine »

PermieGing

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +11
  • Grow the future of humanity!
Re: [Documentary] Africanized Killer Bees invading America
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2013, 03:01:37 PM »

I havent seen the video...

But ive heard that people are exaggerating the whole viscious african bee thing.

Ive seen some bill mollison videos of him helping people out in tanzania with sustainability.
They went ove to there tanzanian top bar hive and were standing right beside it and were saying that there about as viscious as any other honeybee..

To be fair, thats actually the only positive thing ive heard about africans (aside from their great foraging), however thats straight from the source. And bill mollison :P
“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.”  Bill Mollison

"You can solve all the worlds problems in a garden" Geoff Lawton

Sunshine

• Global Moderator
  • Hibernating
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 01:27:47 AM »

African honey bees, regular honey bees, they are all the same in the sense that they all have variable temperaments within their genetics. In every bee video I've watched on honey bees I've noticed notable differences in temperament of non-africanized honey bees. Some do not react to a humans hand coming close and are very calm and tolerant. Others get very defensive and antsy when a human hand is close.

I think that africanized honey bees have a temperament range which is shifted more towards the aggressive side. Some of the more 'docile' African honey bee colonies may be more calm and manageable than some of the more aggressive regular non-africanized colonies.

Does that make sense to you?

PermieGing

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +11
  • Grow the future of humanity!
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 02:29:09 AM »

keep in mind the aggressiveness of bees are dependant on many variables that can change everyday.
A few would be cold weather, a lack of nectar, stress,  flashlights at night, the lack of a queen, etc

Do you know the breed of honeybee in the videos youve watched? Theres many kinds, but italians are by far the most common

I mean i guess any breed could be super aggressive one day, then very passive the next. That being said, it is "common knowledge" that some specific breeds are more aggressive than others, but that could be heresay

I dunno

[Test edit By Sunshine - No changes were made]
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 06:21:30 PM by Sunshine »
“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.”  Bill Mollison

"You can solve all the worlds problems in a garden" Geoff Lawton

Sunshine

• Global Moderator
  • Hibernating
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2013, 11:10:20 PM »

No I'm not sure what the queen breed was. It was a wild variety so I doubt it was Italian.