Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: crossbreeding bed (the hereje way)  (Read 8922 times)

hereje

• Trading Score: +90
  • Zone: 5a 5b
crossbreeding bed (the hereje way)
« on: November 12, 2013, 05:02:46 AM »

figured that I would explain my crossbreeding bed for anyone who is thinking of crossing a plant next season - keep in mind that there are a hundred different ways and they all work wonders this is just how I do it and keep things organized - im just gonna assume that if your reading this you already know how the flowers of a plant work and how to selectively pollinate via male and female flowers if you don't know how this is done then I posted a link to a great page you can learn from

first discover a plant that has a specific trait that you like it may be a chemical compound a color a shape or anything else you like (call it plant-X)

second find another plant of the same kind that had a different trait that you enjoy and would like to see included in the first plant (call it plant-Y)

next we start with bed #1 plant your plant-x in space A and your plant-y in space B  -- now you will cross a couple male and female flowers on both plants A and B wait for seeds and select the five best seeds from each plant

now germinate and plant the five seeds from A into spaces labeled 1a,2a,3a,4a,5a and the five seeds from B into the spaces 1b,2b,3b,4b,5b grow them and check for the traits you like anything that possesses the traits or shows signs of gaining them are saved (I try to save two) everything else is killed - sometimes all ten get killed especially if your breeding out of species which is possible but can be hell

------------------------------------

refining
take cuttings of or transplant the two plants you selected into slot C and D in bed #2
row 1 on bed#2 is the same as previous just crossing them together

the second row on bed#2 has four sets of three beds each plant both C and D get crossed again with the each wild parent (A & B) save three best seeds from each flower and grow them in spaces labeled accordingly let them mature and move to bed three

--------------------------------------

purifying Bed#3
now that we have 24 well crossed plants there is sure to be at least a couple that have some or all of the traits you were looking to improve/add into your personal strain

if a plant has all of the traits you wanted then you wanna self pollinate that plant at this point and germinate the 12 best seeds produced from that plant - grow to maturity repeat one more time to make sure that the babies of the baby plants produce plants that have those traits aswell if this proves to be true then concrats you have a new personal strain and you can kill every plant you grew except the one you finished with  - if the babies of the babies do not poses these traits then that means your plant should be reproduced by cuttings not seeded this can be fixed with farther crossbreeding but moves more into an area of crossbreeding I will talk about in a later post

ok lets say that you have a couple plants you like but neither one has reached that level of "perfect" that you wanted take cuttings of these plants or transplant into bed#3 spaces A and B respectively and begin crossbreeding as you did in bed#1 only this time do not use any of the wild plants from bed#1 or bed#2 as your beginning to get into the area of crossbreeding where you may be isolating sub-genes and a wild plant could possibly reap havoc on your traits by throwing the old wild dom-genes into the mix

----------------------------------------------------

using this strategy is called selective crossbreeding and is very simple once you get the idea down but its an ultra powerful form of crossbreeding and can change plant traits to the point where they almost become their own species

as I get time ill post a write up of different tips and tricks in cross breeding that I have used or know of because I feel as though this is a very powerful skill for people to learn as one can customize plants with or without traits he/she likes and can take traits from one genus of plants and force another genus to reproduce them in more advanced forms by jumping the desired gene through various species and genus - I know this is a very rough write up but I will proofread tomorrow sometime and fix any errors and I believe it gets the general point across on an easy way to setup your crossbreeding bed

Hmmm... what does this button do?

hereje

• Trading Score: +90
  • Zone: 5a 5b
Re: crossbreeding bed (the hereje way)
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 05:10:15 AM »

by the way if I have made any mistakes, errors or if you have questions feel free to let me know - im not an expert by any means but I have enough experience I can help with most of the common problems or questions you have
Hmmm... what does this button do?