Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Temperatures & plants. How low can it go? (Community research thread)  (Read 66518 times)

Saros

• Trading Score: +48
  • (x²+y²-1)³-x²y³=0
Re: Temperatures & plants. How low can it go? (Community research thread)
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2013, 03:01:21 PM »

This is interesting.. the HBWR that I thought died when it froze solid about a month ago, has come back to life.  It was sitting in a tray of water and the roots were literally encased in ice for about 12 hours. I declared it dead, but brought the pot inside anyway, I stuck it in the back of my closet where it was warm, dark, and it seemed to thoroughly dry out.. I even started harvesting the soil for other projects. Today I was doing just that, and I noticed a new leaf! Surprise Christmas gift from mother nature=)

Saros

• (x²+y²-1)³-x²y³=0
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2014, 11:11:16 PM »

Wow.. same thing happened with two Voacanga Africana. Even one that I attempted to pull out of the soil after I declared it dead. I snapped the stem and busted up some of the roots before I realized it wasn't going to just pull out easily and gave up. Now it's pushing up some fresh green shoots.

I'm impressed with their will to live=)

Greentoe

• Trading Score: +238
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2014, 04:25:27 AM »

I found out Alicia anisopetala, acacia simplex, leonotis leonurus, and psychotria alba can all survive 0c, at least for a short period of time. When it dropped down to -6c last night and barely got above 0c today it appears to have killed most of them. I'm not certain if the acacia simex is dead or alive. It rained two days ago so the soil was still kind of moist now its frozen solid. I have taken it inside now and will see if it looks like it hanging onto life after it thaws out.

Saros

• (x²+y²-1)³-x²y³=0
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2014, 12:12:01 AM »

Just noticed your update Greentoe. Thanks, I've updated the chart. I took a guess at the hours the temperature held steady at 0C.. figured it was overnight, so I put 8 hours in that column. Your findings with P. alba hold true with what I found as well. I pronounced it dead at -5C.

How's the A. simplex doing?

Greentoe

• Trading Score: +238
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2014, 12:10:03 AM »

The acacia simplex that was left outside died :'(. Luckily I have another one the same size and I think 7 more I started last year.

Saros

• (x²+y²-1)³-x²y³=0
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2014, 10:37:20 PM »

Wow, Syrian rue has surprised me. I left one for dead outside in my greenhouse over winter and I'm starting to see little green leafs emerging again. We got down to -18C at the lowest.

I didn't realize it, but apparently it can handle down to -20C if the soil is dry.. and it was.

Saros

• (x²+y²-1)³-x²y³=0
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2014, 07:14:39 PM »

It seems Phalaris AQ1 and Big Medicine did just fine down to -18C inside my greenhouse. The jury is still out on the patch I had outdoors that spent a significant amount of time under snow & ice..

Saros

• (x²+y²-1)³-x²y³=0
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2014, 09:10:21 PM »

Heimia Salicifolia is coming back! woohoo! I knew it was a tough plant but I honestly thought this winter would do them in. We had quite a few nights  of -18C in a row. All four of my plants are showing signs of new leaves emerging now :)

Saros

• (x²+y²-1)³-x²y³=0
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2014, 11:07:19 PM »

Here we are, well into summer, and I just noticed my Passiflora from last year (that I thought died over winter) has resurrected itself. Last year I had a potted Passiflora in a corner of the greenhouse. It grew really large and put some massive roots down through the bottom of the pot and into the raised bed that the pot was sitting in. Over the winter the potted portion of the plant died off and I ripped the pot free from the bed when it was apparent that it wasn't coming back. I thought it was dead & gone until last night while I was harvesting some beets, carrots, and kale and I noticed a scraggly little Passiflora vine growing out of the opposite end of the bed. Apparently when it escaped it's pot, it lived on in the raised bed:) 

Sunshine

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +96
  • Hibernating
« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2014, 05:34:31 PM »

I had my viridis and my nexus sitting on the porch for the past few nights. The nexus looks fine but my viridis seems to have suffered extensive damage. I'm hoping it pulls through.

Anyway, the lowest it's got the past few days was 50F(10C) so if anyone has viridis outside keep a close eye on the temps. Also, it is a juvenile plant, around 8 inches tall.

Frog Pajamas

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +576
  • Zone 7A
« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2014, 05:58:55 PM »

Same here. My viridis and caapi were the first to show signs of cold damage, right around lows of 55 degrees Fahrenheit.

marshmellow

• Trading Score: +29
« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2014, 06:51:47 PM »

It got down tho 45F last night and all my b. caapis and p. Alba's were outside I didn't know it was getting that cold . put them in greenhouse this morning didn't see any damage yet but we will see.

Sunshine

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +96
  • Hibernating
« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2014, 03:25:02 AM »

Mine were at 50-55F lows for a few nights in the row...maybe 5 max.

New Wisdom

• Professional Cactus Hoarder
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +223
  • Zone 6B
« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2014, 08:03:44 AM »

All my cacti survived outside at temps of 36 f the other night.  Trichocereus, lophophora, ariocarpus, myrtillocactus, polaskia, neoporteria, mammillaria, mutucana, tephrocactus, opuntia, ect ect ect....
Cactus = Life

Saros

• (x²+y²-1)³-x²y³=0
« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2014, 11:10:23 PM »

Time to begin the great plant migration of 2014...
Everything has grown so much this past year. I fear that navigating my house for the next 6 months will be like exploring deep jungle=)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7