Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: [VIDEO]Genetically modified food  (Read 8413 times)

Sunshine

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +96
  • Hibernating
[VIDEO]Genetically modified food
« on: November 04, 2013, 06:27:54 AM »

PermieGing

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +11
  • Grow the future of humanity!
Re: [VIDEO]Genetically modified food
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 01:21:50 PM »

I watched the forst 5 mins, and ill be watching the rest tonight!

Thanks for sharing, im looking forward to watching the rest!
“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.”  Bill Mollison

"You can solve all the worlds problems in a garden" Geoff Lawton

MadPlanter

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +929
  • Tye dyed spirit
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 02:08:33 PM »

Haven't watched this video yet but a good documentary on this kind of thing is "The world according to Monsanto". Even if certain GMO crops have benefits of some kind and aren't detrimental to health there is way more to the issue. Its about patenting of living things altered or not. Global food supply control and deliberate extinction of the pure species their franken plants came from. This is not cool and I WANT it to stop! Nature is already as it was intended in the scheme of things without us playing god with it. My belief is that all food and plants in general need not be f'd with. Selective breeding is a whole different manner of modification that is vastly different than deliberate gene splicing. That's how we created hardy resistant plants for thousands of years. Enough proof that way is just fine. Some GMOs might be okay who knows...but others are proven extremely detrimental on health of the environment and us...hence the fact most of the rest of the world is against this. I know I don't want irreversible stomach and intestine damage just to eat f'ing corn!
Spreading love!

Sunshine

• Global Moderator
  • Hibernating
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 03:12:15 PM »

I think its worth noting that if plants are genetically modified with DNA from within the same species(To increase drought/flood tolerance,etc) that there are no detrimental health effects and it is essentially a quick way of doing natural breeding. It becomes a problem when they start fucking around putting bacteria DNA and crap like that in plants.  :-\

There is a lot of good that could be done by using genetic modification. Unfortunately everyone's view of it is negative due to the chem companies using it for personal gain and not for the right reasons.

New Wisdom

• Professional Cactus Hoarder
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +223
  • Zone 6B
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 07:02:58 PM »

I think its worth noting that if plants are genetically modified with DNA from within the same species(To increase drought/flood tolerance,etc) that there are no detrimental health effects and it is essentially a quick way of doing natural breeding. It becomes a problem when they start fucking around putting bacteria DNA and crap like that in plants.  :-\

There is a lot of good that could be done by using genetic modification. Unfortunately everyone's view of it is negative due to the chem companies using it for personal gain and not for the right reasons.

I agree with you here, but this technology being in the hands of these multi billion dollar companies is bad. They are obviously just using to make as much $ as they can. 

Anyways, I hope that they start labeling GMO foods soon.
Cactus = Life

Sunshine

• Global Moderator
  • Hibernating
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 08:34:23 PM »

No doubt man. When a company gets that big its pretty much a separate entity. Its main goal is to survive by any means possible. It has no soul. Its main objective is to get money by any means possible.

I highly doubt they will start labeling GMO foods, unfortunately. Their sales will plummet. Fingers crossed though.

New Wisdom

• Professional Cactus Hoarder
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +223
  • Zone 6B
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 10:26:07 PM »

Its not up to them. It will be in the law. They are already trying to pass GMO labelling laws in a couple states and monsanto is pouring millions of dollars into the effort to stop those laws. I think that by itself shows that they know their GMO crops aren't good for people and they don't want people to know which food contains them.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 10:31:05 PM by New Wisdom »
Cactus = Life

Sunshine

• Global Moderator
  • Hibernating
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 10:50:45 PM »

My point exactly. With all the money they have the laws will likely not be passed, or rather, they will be delayed.

fairdinkumseeds

• Trading Score: +545
  • May you reap exactly what you sow......
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2013, 01:00:45 AM »

Wow, blah blah blah.
I reread my comment and it seems I rambled on a bit folks but I just get fired up about this stuff.
Anyway, heres my thoughts :P

I think its worth noting that if plants are genetically modified with DNA from within the same species(To increase drought/flood tolerance,etc) that there are no detrimental health effects and it is essentially a quick way of doing natural breeding.
They only do that with first round gmo releases, to soften up the publics opinion, and help secure funding.
Its what I would do, as its an effective strategy.
Its not a common method of modification though, because selective breeding accomplishes the same goals quicker and cheaper(when you compare man hours and $ invested it is), and as far as I can see, in every country its only been done the once or twice, in the beginning of a gmo roll out, and never repeated in that country.
Then they role out their real main products.
The massive advertising about safeness of these same species genetic modifications, is a great distraction, and gets their foot in the door, and the perceived benefits to the new technology make a lot of farmers switch from standard crops (the "perceived" benefits, don't actually exist, and there are a hell of a lot of negatives that come with it, but it takes many years to realize that)
But, by that stage, GMO products, and their makers will control the majority of the market.
First by price. They say>>> "Its cheaper and more productive" (but you cant test for its effectiveness in the real world, and if you do, you cant publish your results and if you do we will crush you and everyone you have ever met.)
Then by "accidental" contamination of nongm crops, making their sale an offence, and their independence from GM impossible to a lot of farmers.
Then by creating "accidentally of course", weeds and pest insects, totally resistant to standard methods of control, meaning stronger insecticide use, which in turn "accidentally" kills the bees as well.
Then once the % of GMO seed sales reach the tipping point, and swing over to their favour, the "free trade agreements" will kick in and GMO products will have world wide fixed prices, "to help stop food shortages, and solve the world hunger crisis" and nongmos will be completely unmarketable on a large scale.
The bees will be all gone by that stage (along with a long list of predatory insects) making traditional pollination and primary production methods lot harder for everyone.
Then they will roll out the sterile/terminator crop seeds, when its too late to realistically do anything about it.
It wont matter then, and farmers, consumers and governments, will be grateful that monsanta+co is doing such a good job by guaranteeing fertility of the seed they provide, especially when there are nowhere near enough pollinating insects left for traditional open pollinated crops, and traditional farming methods have pretty much collapsed.

The mere fact that the population is now ~100% reliant on them for food, world wide, will have slipped right on past the majority of the sheeple....
It is inevitable, and to think that a "label" will change anything is a bit silly.
We have pictures of cancer victims and amputations on our cigarette packets and they are still selling at $20+ for a packet of 20.

At best, spun the right way, it will both appease the "paranoid hippies", and show "trust worthiness and corporate responsibility " on the behalf of the big GM suppliers.
I think its a great tactic, as it makes the ones who care think, that they really matter, and are making a real difference, and when they "win" that tiny little battle, they lose their energy to fight on.

The attention span of your average protestor is pretty short and distractions like this labeling nonsense, are easier and cheap, for a big corporation to manage.
They are now in the market folks, and their dominance is just simple maths.
They won this battle 10years ago.
Our wheat and corn and soy and rice is gone, long gone, we just haven't noticed yet.
Its time to find as many alternative food crops, with high natural fertility and seed counts as possible.
Especially crops that can be wind or hand pollinated rapidly.
Crops reliant on insect pollination wont be around forever.

Oh yeah, while I am having a big winge I might as will give everyone an even bigger chunk of my unwanted opinions. :P
I know a lot of folks are gonna disagree, but I honestly think that GM is reasonably safe, well no worse that spray contracting or pumping gas or spray painting or plastic manufacturing or mining for a living.
Its not something I want to do/eat, but I reckon if you are happy to accept the health risks go for it, its only a smallish % of actual harm in real world situations.
This "cancer" thing is a distraction.
They hide it, so you blindly focus on it, and ignore the real issue of food reliance, and ecological destruction.

They leak dodgy negative studies about Monsanto being bad, so those studies are easily discredited or ignored.

Its just a delay and confusion tactic, and it numbs the average consumer into ignoring the real provable facts like the yields are lower, the pesticide use is higher, crop pollination is down, the bees are dying, the prices are up, the shit just don't work.
Kiddies starve still even with Gmo.

Its like the old saying>
"Give a man a fish he eats for a day, teach a man to fish and he eats for a lifetime."

Except, Monsanto+co  is quite profitably reversing it.....

I really do respect the business model.
Sun Tsu would be proud.  :P

Sucks, but AU-OS trade isn't cost effective or reliable anymore. Aussie trade encouraged, especially for cactus, dragonfruit, and colour fruited columns.
Hit me up! --> fairdinkumseeds.com/contact