Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Repotting P. Viridis?  (Read 8032 times)

Frog Pajamas

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +576
  • Zone 7A
Repotting P. Viridis?
« on: October 08, 2013, 03:10:54 PM »

I've got 5 little plants growing from a rooted leaf, and I'm wondering if/when they'll be ready to repot. Should I separate them from each other when it's time? Thanks!

semaphore

• Trading Score: +4
Re: Repotting P. Viridis?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 03:12:59 PM »

I've got 5 little plants growing from a rooted leaf, and I'm wondering if/when they'll be ready to repot. Should I separate them from each other when it's time? Thanks!

If im not mistaken the 5 plants are from the same root source. So separating them you will most likely kill them.

Mandrake

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +13
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 03:30:24 PM »

If im not mistaken the 5 plants are from the same root source. So separating them you will most likely kill them.

It depends on the age of the plants and how they rooted. Frog Pajamas, make sure you check the Psychotria Viridis Propagation thread for information.

Cheers,

Mandrake

Sunshine

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +96
  • Hibernating
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2013, 08:07:28 PM »

Don't separate them. It looks like they are all growing from the same part of the leaf. They are not going to choke each other out because they are the same plant. Think of it as a bigger plant growing multiple branches.

The only time multi-headed leaf cutting psychotria plants need to be replanted is if the person propagating them snapped the mid leaf vein and roots are sprouting at different levels. In that case they would be separate plants.

Frog Pajamas

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +576
  • Zone 7A
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 12:33:48 AM »

Thanks for the replies. I thought someone had mentioned separating them,  but I didn't realize the distinction between rooting from one spot versus multiple spots. I'll read through the propagation thread more thoroughly.

TBM

• The Botanical Madman
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +75
  • Onward to the new
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 12:38:30 AM »

For situations where they are separate plants from splitting the mid leaf vein, I find that they are easy to remove from the mother leaf once they have 2-3 sets of leaves. So far I haven't lost any plantlets after transplanting.