Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Piper methysticum ‘bright eyes’  (Read 3053 times)

NWFLArenegade

• Trading Score: +10
Piper methysticum ‘bright eyes’
« on: August 04, 2024, 05:59:56 PM »

Has anyone ever heard of Piper methysticum ‘bright eyes’? I found a deal on one and ordered it. I haven’t received it yet but, after trying to do research on it, it seems to more P. Betel than P. Methysticum. I can’t seem to find much in the way of info on it, just a few pictures. It looks like it is more of a vine than a shrub. Anyone out there with any experience on this plant that can provide some clarification? I’ll provide some pics once it comes in.
Thank you for this beautiful day, one we’ve never seen before, and one we’ll never see again.

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • Trading Score: +140
  • <3
Re: Piper methysticum ‘bright eyes’
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2024, 08:55:47 PM »

If it looks like whats shown here http://www.ukhouseplants.com/plants/piper it looks just like it should to me, maybe different in a way that can definately be in the range of 'cultivar different'.
Praise is mandatory.

Pollinator

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +215
Re: Piper methysticum ‘bright eyes’
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2024, 10:31:01 PM »

I came across it a little while a go whilst I was searching for a new Piper methysticum plant myself.
'Bright Eyes' definitely doesn't look like Piper methysticum to me, although I'm no expert. I'd still say I'm 99% sure it's not from comparing it to photos of actual Piper methysticum plants, and from memory of my old Piper methysticum 'ISA' plant. I found very little information about it online too, and the few other comments on it I came across also believed it to be a different species of Piper.

I agree it appears much more similar to Piper betle, in both its morphology and growth habit.
There's a lot of different Piper species so it would be very difficult to try and fully ID it, I certainly wouldn't be able to. However I have seen someone else call it Piper betle aff. 'Bright Eyes', which I also think is the best fitting name for it currently.