Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: GA3 treatment of 'D. Cab' seeds experiment  (Read 6163 times)

modern

• Trading Score: +199
GA3 treatment of 'D. Cab' seeds experiment
« on: August 04, 2023, 10:29:28 PM »

So I'll be sowing these seeds tomorrow after 24 hour soak in water.

I setup 3 soaks with 100ml water and 20ml H2O2 each.
The first is control followed by 200-250ppm GA3 and 500ppm GA3. They are actually a bit lower ppm since I calculated the mg of GA3 based on 100mL of water.

Best time to sow is 5 years ago...

modern

Re: GA3 treatment of 'D. Cab' seeds experiment
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2023, 09:37:14 PM »

I ended up only leaving for 17h in GA3 and 1h in normal water soak. Planted them with the wing pointing up maybe 2cm deep. sphagnum moss was mixed with the top layer of the soil since I didn't want to use pure moss for the seeds.

I'll update in around a month as soon as I notice the first sprouts.

modern

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2023, 12:07:09 AM »

So at 1 month still no sprouts. HOWEVER I had a surprise germination of a psychotria viridis. I used some soil that had seeds in it and it sprouted after a month so conditions are good.

modern

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2023, 10:47:32 PM »

The seed that germinated isn't psychotria viridis like I thought IDK what it is but I'll let it grow a while.

Today on the 500ppm soaked seeds I spotted a root nub coming from a seed head so I finally got my first germination and hopefully soon a sprout. The other seeds I can't tell since I don't wanna uproot and potentially damage it.

This paper I found after I started my experiment... they did a 500 ppm ga3 soak 24 hours but found it better to apply 1ml of that solution directly in the substrate with the seed since they believe that the penetration/uptake of the seed is too low with the Banisteriopsis they were studying. For those interested in experimenting with ga3 this is a good starting point.
https://www.scielo.br/j/bjb/a/frs6ZYMQ4B4bw6GVPn3qJPm/?lang=en

Shamichael

• Trading Score: +50
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2023, 02:41:10 AM »

Thanks for the link and fingers 🤞🏼.

modern

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2023, 01:59:53 AM »

So I went to check on the seed I thought I saw a root nub and it was actually some sphagnum moss and not a root nub.

So I ended up with zero germination after 2 months from 30 seeds. Not feeling very optimistic but will keep the seeds going for longer. Gardenshaman mentioned he will have “fresh” seeds soon but I’m not very happy with my purchase so not sure if I’ll retry… his kratom seeds did seem to germinate so atleast that

modern

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2023, 06:26:06 PM »

So I removed all the seeds and gave them each a squeeze. MANY were completely empty and a few rotted. There was a couple that remained very hard shell so I separated these seeds to replant. I took a single seed and cut it to take a look. The seed is 'alive' and it seems to be developing inside so I'm holding out hope I'll get a few to germinate in the next few months.