Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Alicia anisopetala germination (black)  (Read 12760 times)

semaphore

• Trading Score: +4
Alicia anisopetala germination (black)
« on: October 03, 2013, 11:58:44 AM »

Hi All,

So my seeds from WSS just arrived. Wondering if anyone has any input on how to germinate these things. I was gonna get some standard potting soil and add some compost. Havnt ever grown caapi so not really sure read up on most of the seeds but still pretty much in the dark. I imagine they should be wing up and kept humid. Would they require light to germinate or very scattered light.

HELP! :P

gator

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +12
Re: Alicia anisopetala germination (black)
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 12:34:51 PM »

Good luck. I'll be following this topic :D I'd say your on the right path w the standard potting soil, compost, wing up idea.

olyd88

• Fallen Angel
  • Trader
  • Trading Score: +8
  • always positive!
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 01:25:01 PM »

I managed to germinate my previously B.caapi(cielo) seeds with minimum light and shaded for 24 hours, it doesnt need high humidity though, i just make sure it gets fresh air on its surroundings and keep the soil moist but not too wet.
Holy Family Ethnobotanical Garden Sdn.Bhd(2018-2030)

semaphore

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 01:30:34 PM »

Went and bought some potting mix, it has coir coir in it not a lot it also has other organic matter in it for nutrients. Will be adding at least 25% perlite to the mixture to give it airation. Bought a large deep black germination tray. I may need to keep cling wrap or something over the top to prevent my soil from drying out to fast as its pretty hot here now and not very humid.

Mandrake

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +13
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 01:30:53 PM »

If they work like close relatives as B. Caapi, bury just the seed (wings mostly out of the soil) in rich, well draining moist soil, and keep it in a non-dry environment. Quick sterilization with diluted peroxide before sowing won't hurt... but specific hints for this species might say otherwise.

Also, moving this thread to the Seeds and Germination subforum.

Thank you,

Mandrake
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 01:33:03 PM by Mandrake »

semaphore

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 11:36:56 PM »

Ok well i've used standard potting mix. It has organic nutrients, coir coir, pieces of wood etc. I then mixed a generous amount of perlite to aid in drainage. I then watered it with a hand sprayer not until it ran out the bottom but till it atleast felt considerably heavier.

I have placed the seeds head down, some on flat, some totally submerged, some barely submerged. I have noted down which seeds where placed differently to see which is the optimal solution. I have around 9 seeds left which i will dry in some other medium.

I have enclosed the tray with some cling wrap not tight fitting so air can get underneath easily may need to pin it down.

Now i just gotta see where i should put it. They need light from what i've read but not direct. I will also white off the cling wrap of excess moisture when i am able to. During the evenings/mornings and weekends. During the day its just gonna have to deal with it.

gator

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +12
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2013, 03:16:35 AM »

I planted some seeds today. I used some old sand/ pete moss/ black velvet and  black kow fertilizer mix, from my summer garden bed. I used a clear plastic container that a carrot cake was purchased in. Seeds were planted with about a 1.5" spacing, all wing up. I happened to dig up a nice worm when taking my soil from the garden and put him in w/ the seeds :) I left the container outside in dappled shade, upper 80s temp in the day, 70 degree low at night. I closed the container, may open it tomorrow

UPDATE: Oops. I planted b. muricata, not alicia anisopetala. none of the seeds have sprouted yet.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 02:01:31 AM by gator »

semaphore

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2013, 11:17:47 AM »

gator did you plant the white aya seeds?