Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Ants in Potted Plants  (Read 1513 times)

SanctumOfMoss

Ants in Potted Plants
« on: June 04, 2022, 05:55:36 PM »

Does anyone have any tips to try and get ants out and away from potted plants?

So it started with my Trichs in which the ants sought out their pots are are always around them (thankfully they're sugar ants and not something worse).
Now they're trying to pursue my Salvia as well, and I don't want colonies inside of my pots.

Interestingly enough they're ignoring the rest of the plants and seedlings on the windowsill, like my Caapi. While in the end my Trich's may have to be re-potted I'd like to avoid that if possible. However, I just re-potted my Salvia...and the scouts have found it within the last day or two so I'm hoping there's a chance for it.

Greenmystery

Re: Ants in Potted Plants
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2022, 07:27:20 AM »

I love ants and hate disturbing them but they can become a pain in pots when they start pulling out soil or farming scale on plants so when they take up home where I don't want them I've used these two methods with success

Some Diatomaceous Earth in a old shaker
Dust on around plants//under pots
Couple drops of Peppermint essential oil with water in a sprayer and again apply on and around pots where they are
Hope you win
"Through seed satyagraha we will disobey every law engineered by corporations that violate the rights of nature, farmers rights and our rights to seed freedom and food freedom"

geezer

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +10
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2022, 01:26:00 AM »

beekeepers put ground cinnamon in their hives to repel ants
all about the cactus

SanctumOfMoss

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2022, 03:12:40 PM »

Thank you all for the tips!

I'm using Neem Oil with Peppermint Castille Soap in a spray and it seems very effective at both eliminating ants and deterring them. I think I've managed to get them out of my pot (it wasn't very large) and now they aren't willing to approach my Salvia anymore so all is well.