Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: New to the site  (Read 1569 times)

Annex_Alpha

• Passing by.....>
New to the site
« on: February 01, 2021, 04:54:29 AM »

Hi.  I am new to this site as a member, but its not the first time I have been through here, if that makes any sense.

A friend (that I assume has been a member here for a while), suggested I come over on my hunt for information on Manuka (Leptospermum scoparium) and Kanuka (Leptospermum / Kunzea ericoides) plants and seeds.  He reckons the best chance of finding information might be on here.  I will have a look around the site first and then maybe start a thread.

I have an interest in Horticulture and am currently training as an Arborist.

My interests are essentially computers and gardening related topics.  I have worked in both areas.

Anyway, thanks for the opportunity. :)
Have a good day.

jbz711

• Subversive Garden Installer
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +61
  • 8b/9a
Re: New to the site
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2021, 03:04:31 PM »

Hey, good to have you, fill out your profile and make a few quality posts and we'll upgrade you.
We must cultivate our garden. - Voltaire

Greenmystery

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2021, 06:10:13 PM »

Myrtacea-
I do know that honey produced from Manuka plants in New Zealand is some of the most expensive in the world...
"Through seed satyagraha we will disobey every law engineered by corporations that violate the rights of nature, farmers rights and our rights to seed freedom and food freedom"

Annex_Alpha

• Passing by.....>
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2021, 03:38:21 AM »

Its also notiously hard to grow in colder climates, favours acidic soils but can be hardened to colder weather by exposing it a little over a number of years.  Also only 3 places sell Manuka plants in the UK, only one sells Kanuka.  I am looking to get hold of some 2 year old plants and then get a small grow going which in turn should give me seeds and cutting which will allow me to increase my own stocks, etc.

I would love to grow it at a large level, maybe a sq acre of it, then place beehives in the middle of the field and see what I get out of them.  I would ideally surrond that grow with a field of levender, a field of kanuka, acacia and maybe eucalyptus.  I would be looking to create a honey with broad antimicrobial abilities then analyse it, possibly test it against a range of bacteria and fungi, maybe make some mead. :)

Have a good day.