Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Seeds conservation  (Read 3962 times)

sapla

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +36
Seeds conservation
« on: July 21, 2020, 10:27:40 PM »

Hi,

when the garden becomes too small, we have to organize crop rotations especially with annuals.
I would like to know if someone has tried freezen seeds to keep them viable for several years.
I have read seeds can be viable over 20 years if they are packaged well in the freezer.
this way would make it easier to collect our favorite seeds, and would have more viable seeds to trade with less gardening
do you have any feedback?

Mangrove

• Li'l Lorax
  • Trading Score: +191
  • We're all here because we're not all there.
Re: Seeds conservation
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2020, 03:52:31 PM »

I can hook you up with Jamaican Dogwood seed. but A. Nilotica here is seeding too, but idk if EU customs let's things from FL in these days
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 03:54:39 PM by Mangrove »
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.--Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

MadPlanter

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +929
  • Tye dyed spirit
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2020, 07:48:56 PM »

Most veggie and herb seeds if dried to the right moisture level can be frozen without damage. Problem with not drying down enough is rupturing the cells in the seeds when they freeze and then killing them.
Spreading love!

Cerere

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2020, 03:46:09 AM »

Hi there! Take a look at my post, you might find it interesting. Cheers!

revniggle

• Trader
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2020, 03:27:07 AM »

I’ve had luck germinating various cacti seeds >5yrs old. Same with a few others. As stated by the user above, properly drying the seeds is a must, but viability can certainly be extended many years this way.

When storing seeds this way, i make sure to include a desiccant pack and double plastic bag everything. I always remove as much air as possible.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 03:31:13 AM by revniggle »
Peace and Love

North3rnBoy

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2020, 10:08:09 AM »

I have started to vacuum seal with desicant packs for long term storage, always a cool dry place ( but most cool places aren't dry ).

revniggle

• Trader
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2020, 03:25:10 PM »

Hey North3rn, do you have a recommendation for a cheap vacuum sealer? Anything I’d purchase would likely be used for seed storage and not much else.
Peace and Love

North3rnBoy

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2020, 03:45:23 PM »

Honestly I took advantage of situation and got a REAL cheap one... I purchased one from a liquidation store ( was a return from a big box stores), then went and purchased a brand new one.. you get the picture.
I use the foodsaver brand, the one I use has a hose attachment to create vacuums inside containers, I have used that attachment to purge certain essential oils as well!