Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Hello from the UK  (Read 1825 times)

ph03n1x

Hello from the UK
« on: May 06, 2020, 07:59:10 PM »

Hi STS,

I'm a noob to ethnobotony, but have always been interested in rare and useful plants. I recently moved to the UK(from ZA) and have finally moved into a place with some space to have a small patio garden. I'm looking to start collecting and growing herbs classed as adaptogens.

I used to grow mushrooms back in my uni days (still have some spores laying stored somewhere), so I'm interested in mycology too, might try growing lions mane sometime. It would be great to find out what are some of the more common of the entheogens and maybe connect with some traders. Any recommendations on good starting plants would be welcomed. I've read a lot about the various cacti but haven't really been captivated by them.

Cheers!

ph03n1x

Re: Hello from the UK
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2020, 07:16:52 PM »

Welcome ph03n1x,

There seems to of been a little influx of UK members over the last month, it’s nice to see another one here.
As for some interesting plants to start with, here’s a list of a few which may be more well suited here in the UK from what I can remember.
However you will have to do some more research into them as this is just off the top of my head and I dont have personal experience growing all these plants. But its somewhere to start looking into and I hope it helps :)

Ashwagandha
Rhodiola rosea
Holy Basil
Bacopa monnieri
Desmanthus illinoensis
Desmanthus leptolobus
Phalaris arundinacea
Phalaris aquatica
Phalaris brachystachys
Some acacias
Delosperma bosseranum
Delosperma cooperii
Sceletium tortuosum
Papaver somniferum
Peganum harmala
Morning glory
Hemia salicifolia
Hypericum perforatum
Wormwood
Mugwort
Daturas
Mandrake
Tobacco
Acmella oleracea
Salvia divinorum (definite extra care needed and would need to be grown inside mostly I expect)
And one of my favourite plants to grow - Cissus quadrangularis, however this does need to be indoors. It is very easy to grow though

Thanks for the intro. Definitely would like to get my hands on some Salvia cuttings. Going through your list I was suprised to see Sceletium tortuosum never thought this plant was anything special, I'm sure I saw it plenty of times while out in the bush in ZA.