Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: E. Novo help please  (Read 3677 times)

ThirstyRoots

E. Novo help please
« on: February 24, 2020, 02:04:58 AM »

Hi, I have some small novos about six months old that are behaving strangely. There are a few variants that I can think of but I'm not sure. There is a white color spreading from the center of the stem on a couple leaves. I recently have them some bat gauno and fish poop. I've also been hardening them off of their humidity box to be normal house plants, which is what I'm attributing to the dappling in the leaves. I'll have to post pictures later but if my description sounds familiar I'm all ears. Also I did try wiing off the leaves with the white to see if it was perhaps wpm but nothing came free so..

Happy gardening friends
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 08:27:38 PM by ThirstyRoots »

GeneQueen

• Trader
Re: E. Novo help please
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2020, 01:46:55 AM »

The picture is more focused on the seedling in the mirror.  How old are they? have you fed them yet? I have seen leaves turn white from both over exposer to light and under exposer to light. Inconsistent growing conditions can do a number of funky things also.
Do you know your PH? Are you watering with tap water?

ThirstyRoots

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2020, 07:27:44 AM »

That's a negative on the tap water. I recently put them in more light so perhaps that's what it is. I'll have to find my pH meter before I know for certain if I'm still balanced there.

cactusman

• Trading Score: +9
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2020, 06:46:32 PM »

i like to fert mine water in the 4.8-5.5 range

jbz711

• Subversive Garden Installer
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +61
  • 8b/9a
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2020, 07:18:45 PM »

One thing to keep in mind is that these can go deciduous, of the original 15 seeds that I had germinate, I've given away 6 plants and lost the rest, mostly when they were under a year old, and though the two pictured here made it through losing their leaves and coming back.  Early on I didn't have an air still and just declorinated tap water by letting it sit out for a day prior to using, and while they survived they didn't thrive.  Since switching exclusively to distilled water I've noticed a huge difference and they're doing pretty well going into their third year.  The air still runs near constantly to keep up with all the different plants I've found do better with distilled, but it keeps them quite happy.
We must cultivate our garden. - Voltaire

cactusman

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2020, 01:02:02 AM »

what do you feed yours jbz711? I've got some liquid peruvian gold which is mostly alpaca manure, worm castings and other stuff composted and turned to liquid. its like 3.1.2 on npk

jbz711

• Subversive Garden Installer
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +61
  • 8b/9a
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2020, 03:26:47 AM »

What I've been giving to push vegetative growth is Fox Farms Grow Big, 6-4-4, but occasionally I'd forget and give them the flowering variant Tiger Bloom (2-8-4) when watering other flowering plants and I'll get a large flush of flowers a week or so later.  If you abide by watering with no calcium-containing water, it'll prove pretty adaptable.  While I don't recommend it, I've seen them survive mid-thirties temperatures when in the ground and onset of cold was quick, but also have lost established plants after a drop from 90-47 degrees in an evening.  I'm currently experimenting with cutting propagation but all tries have failed so far.
We must cultivate our garden. - Voltaire

cactusman

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2020, 03:41:06 AM »

I'm planning to put mine in the ground once I get a palm stump out of the way and usually doesn't get below 45 sometimes but it's very rare in the south part of Miami where I'm at.

Yea that's what I'm after is vegetative growth mine could use a lot of new growth.

I plan to try air layering to propogate once my plant is big enough...I'm hoping the flowers that are on there reach to produce fruit/seed that would be awesome it just seems like the flowers fall and produce nothing and it's well past being 3 or 4 years old now.

Thanks for the info!

valec

• Trader
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2020, 08:15:46 PM »

Sorry for the late message. Maybe you are interested to hear that mine displayed some similar behavior. Some leaves became white from the center, others from the boundary. Then things ended up looking like on the attached picture, then losing all leaves, some branches shriveling - but eventually, after weeks of anxiety, the plant came back. Now it is pushing out strong growth near the base.

So I would also be very curious what is causing this. Sometimes you hear that this is normal, but that usually seems to refer to E. novo, right?

Krayphysh

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2021, 07:57:53 PM »

Sorry for the late message. Maybe you are interested to hear that mine displayed some similar behavior. Some leaves became white from the center, others from the boundary. Then things ended up looking like on the attached picture, then losing all leaves, some branches shriveling - but eventually, after weeks of anxiety, the plant came back. Now it is pushing out strong growth near the base.

So I would also be very curious what is causing this. Sometimes you hear that this is normal, but that usually seems to refer to E. novo, right?

Hey Valec!

Sorry for the late reply, I can't send personal messages just yet.  I am located in Alabama,  not the EU.  Hopefully I'll get promoted to having a membership status so I can reply to messages.  Until then, feel free to use my username (krayphysh) to contact me on just about any platform, lol.  If this is against site policy, someone let me know.  I didn't see mention of sharing communication options anywhere thus far. I normally keep up with Google based apps like hangouts or gmail.  Catch up soon!  Take care! Adam