Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Cacti advice wanted  (Read 12142 times)

Saros

• Trading Score: +48
  • (x²+y²-1)³-x²y³=0
Cacti advice wanted
« on: September 09, 2013, 06:24:32 PM »

So I've had this Bridgesii Monstrosus for several months. I think it has some sort of fungal infection going on though. It was in pretty bad shape when I got it and being new to cacti, I didn't do it any favors. I over watered it at first and it got pretty squishy. I thought it was going to give up on life all together, but fortunately it didn't.

I figured out the watering schedule after that and most of the new green growth at the top has been since then. So it's growing at a decent rate IMO and the dark, questionable, areas haven't advanced as far as I can tell.

But I'm wondering if it would be wise to cut off the unaffected tip and graft onto a Peres or try to root it.

Anyway, I'm just trying to come up with a care plan for this one since I'm thinking the infection or whatever it is, won't simply go away on it's own. What would you cacti gurus do if it were your baby? =)

PermieGing

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +11
  • Grow the future of humanity!
Re: Cacti advice wanted
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 07:53:37 PM »

Grafting it or trying to root it doesnt seem like a bad idea, but im no cacti guru

Does the new growth show signs of disease?
“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.”  Bill Mollison

"You can solve all the worlds problems in a garden" Geoff Lawton

New Wisdom

• Professional Cactus Hoarder
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +223
  • Zone 6B
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 08:02:36 PM »

To me it just looks like normal scaring.  TBM's seem to be very prone to black and white/tan scaring for no apparent reason.  But I will say that it looks like it isn't being watered enough when you do water it.  They get all sucked up like that when they aren't watered enough.

How often and how much do you water it?  And what makes you think there's an infection?  Is there any orange smooshy spots on it or is it just the tan color that you're talking about?
Cactus = Life

Saros

• (x²+y²-1)³-x²y³=0
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 08:24:46 PM »

Thanks for the replies. Makes me feel better that you both weren't horrified at first glance:)

There are some dark, blackish areas and spots that had me worried. this picture shows the spots a little better. Anyway, the larger dark areas seem to go a bit squishy when I water, so I was thinking it was some kind of rot or fungus thing.

Watering is maybe once every 2 weeks.. really just a light splash, not fully saturating the soil. this photo was taken just before I re-watered and I think I went a bit longer than normal since the last watering.

The new growth seems very healthy to me.

Anyway, that'd be cool if this winds up that I'm just paranoid and under-watering and that it's all just normal scarring etc:)

New Wisdom

• Global Moderator
  • Zone 6B
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 08:34:13 PM »

I get spots like that all the time on my TBM's.  Usually not that many small ones. It's usually bigger ones but less frequent.   I'm pretty sure that isn't anything to worry about unless it's mushy. Like rotten mushy. 
Cactus = Life

Saros

• (x²+y²-1)³-x²y³=0
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 08:47:02 PM »

Cool, thanks for the second opinion. I don't think anything qualifies as rotten-mushy. I'll just leave it alone and watch it.

Although I have I have several dozen seedlings of various types that I started from seed this spring, this and another  3" Trichocereus are my first and only sort of mature cacti. So I'm really just starting out on my cacti adventures and they've always felt very foreign to me. Any little thing out of the ordinary and I think I've done something wrong or have a situation on my hands=)

New Wisdom

• Global Moderator
  • Zone 6B
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 09:47:17 PM »

One thing i can tell you, it looks a little sucked up like it is thirsty.  My TBM used to be like that because i wasn't soaking the pot enough when i did water it.  Then I started pouring water into the pot till i see it come out the bottom everytime i watered it and it started to fill up again.

I'd have to see the plant in person to say for sure though.
Cactus = Life

Saros

• (x²+y²-1)³-x²y³=0
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 09:53:52 PM »

Thanks, I will try being a little less stingy with the water when I water it =)

nobody

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +335
  • Hidden Member Extraordinaire
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2013, 07:40:56 AM »

Looks to me to be a bacterial or mold spotting. I will check my stuff when i get home and let you know. What is the relative humidity in the area where you have it? Has it been repotted while you have had it?

« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 08:34:24 AM by nobody »
¨At any time, you can turn on your computer, log into Facebook and watch humanity´s collective ego, mid masturbation¨.

New Wisdom

• Global Moderator
  • Zone 6B
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2013, 07:46:13 AM »

I agree with you nanashi, but i have several bridgesii monstrose and talking to other bridgesii monstrose growers. The black spotting happens to just about all of them regardless of conditions.  There isn't really much known as to why monstrose bridgesii do that, but they are very prone to it.  Although it's usually not little spotting like that in such close proximity. 

All of mine have done this though and the spots just end up turning into tan/white scared areas.  Never had done any real damage.  It had me highly worried at first though.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 08:23:20 AM by New Wisdom »
Cactus = Life

Saros

• (x²+y²-1)³-x²y³=0
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2013, 08:14:17 PM »

The relative humidity is fairly high. I think it's averaged around 75-80% while I've had it. It's sort of unavoidable in my zone during the spring/summer.

When I got it it wasn't in a pot. just bare roots. So I potted it in regular store bought cactus soil (miracle grow) and it's been there ever since.

New Wisdom

• Global Moderator
  • Zone 6B
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2013, 09:10:04 PM »

Ah i see.  That could be a problem. TBM's like faster draining soil without peat moss in it (it contains peat moss and bark) and the humidity can cause rot. 

I'd keep an eye on it for sure. If it starts to get all squishy you'll want to cut the healthy parts off and graft them or try to root them.
Cactus = Life

Shpongle Lover

• Trading Score: +3
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2013, 03:14:56 AM »

Personally, I would cut and re-root it, but solely on the basis of aesthetics.  I prefer beauty over size since my cacti are like living decorations in my home.  Everyone's focus for owning and displaying plants is different, so YMMV.  I want to stress that I don't think that you need to do anything for the health of the plant.

S.L.
You say you want a change, then make a change.