Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: How to best germinate Tabernaemontana Undulata seeds?  (Read 16436 times)

Lukas123

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +64
  • High on Life
How to best germinate Tabernaemontana Undulata seeds?
« on: September 05, 2013, 03:26:54 PM »

Hi

I have bought some Tabernaemontana undulata seeds and i must try germinating them as soon as possible.
Anyone have tried this with any success?
I have read something about high temps and high humidity but i don't remember where i saw this.
I sure want some of these seeds to make it to big plants.

I just have had some of my Alicia anisopetala seeds come up from the soil, i am so happy for this.
 :) :) :)

Lukas123
Give a man a bread and he will have food for one day. Teach him to grow plants and he will spend all day in the garden drinking beer.

Cane Blossom

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +9
  • vibrational awareness
Re: How to best germinate Tabernaemontana Undulata seeds?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 04:07:22 PM »

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/18236523
it seems to germinate readily without much treatment according to WSS (though it takes a bit)

i would imagine a soaking (maybe in GA3 dilute) and scarification might aid the germ rates.

the emphasis seems to be primarily on moisture and warmth, as you said.

also this:
http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=34861
0 = -1 + 1
no thing = thing + unthing.
an infinite fractality of duality divided out of nothingness.
Ex nihil panton fit

cogito, ergo... cogito

the bong is my wind instrument

cunningplatypus

• Trading Score: +317
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 03:56:56 PM »

Hey Lukas,

I know that your initial post is a little old, but if you're still trying to germinate these, then here's what worked for me. I germed mine in Jiffy Pellets (peat), in a make-shift humidity dome, for at least a month before I saw any signs of life. I didn't use any bottom heat, though they were inside and thus fairly warm. As WSS says, they take their sweet time to pop.     

Saros

• Trading Score: +48
  • (x²+y²-1)³-x²y³=0
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 05:44:22 PM »

I got some seeds from WSS several weeks ago.

The only treatment I gave them was a 24 hour soak in a jar with a small amount of hydrogen peroxide. Rinsed and re-reinsed very well to remove any remaining fruit matter that was sticking to the seed.

I used a 50/50 mix of sand/perlite (microwave sterilized) as the soil to germinate them in. After planting them, they were placed inside a heated (~75f) humidity chamber. They just started breaking the surface of the sand/perlite last week (It's been about 4-5  weeks since planting them). So far 4 out of 10 have popped up and I know there are others that will be poking up soon (I carefully dug up some of the others and see taproots sticking out of most of them)

PermieGing

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +11
  • Grow the future of humanity!
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 05:50:27 PM »

Hmm diggin up a seedling may not be the best idea.

If one damages the first taproot (AKA radicle), the seedling WILL die. It doesnt have enough energy stored in its food storage to produce another taproot, and grow cotyledons, which is when it would start photosynthesizing to make its own energy.

Just sayin :P
“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.”  Bill Mollison

"You can solve all the worlds problems in a garden" Geoff Lawton

Saros

• Trading Score: +48
  • (x²+y²-1)³-x²y³=0
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 06:12:09 PM »

Yeah, you're probably right. I was curious and really careful=)

MadPlanter

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +929
  • Tye dyed spirit
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2013, 07:09:04 PM »

What I did with my undulata was plant them in a rich but well draining potting soil. I made a little circular whole in which they were about a half inch deep but were left uncovered with soil...just sitting in deeply. Kept moist the whole time in a baggie dome on 4" pots. This worked well but I suspect that like iboga seeds they could be sprouted first in moist moss then planted in pots once a decent tap root has emerged. A few broke out of the seed by themselves but assistance with the shell would be best.
Spreading love!

semaphore

• Trading Score: +4
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2013, 10:04:11 PM »

Where did you guys get these seeds? Im looking all over cant find any:/

cunningplatypus

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2013, 02:23:04 PM »

Semaphore,

I'm happy to tell you where I got my seeds, though I'm not sure if that's okay (brand-spankin' new to this forum, don't want to step on anyone's toes). Shoot me a PM if you're able. 

MadPlanter

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +929
  • Tye dyed spirit
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2013, 02:32:07 PM »

Mine came from kiwi and they were very viable and fresh albeit this was like 4-5 months ago.
Spreading love!

semaphore

• Trading Score: +4
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2013, 02:58:58 PM »

Mine came from kiwi and they were very viable and fresh albeit this was like 4-5 months ago.

Hes stopped selling practically all seeds from the looks of it.

cunningplatypus

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2013, 05:34:00 PM »

Semaphore,

I'm pretty sure that all of the seeds originate with Kiwi. However, I got mine through WSS, via their Bluejay offerings. Here's the listing:

http://www.blujay.com/?page=ad&adid=4524954&cat=0

I'm not sure if it's still current, though I see nothing to suggest otherwise. Worst comes to worst, I've got an extra seedling for you.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 05:35:14 PM by cunningplatypus »

Mandrake

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +13
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2013, 05:54:30 PM »

I'm happy to tell you where I got my seeds, though I'm not sure if that's okay (brand-spankin' new to this forum, don't want to step on anyone's toes). Shoot me a PM if you're able.

Hello cunningplatypus,

STS does have a Suppliers section for viable seeds and live plants, so supplier information is definitely welcome. However, that section and others, along with the ability to send PMs yourself, are not visible by default to new members - access is automatically granted as you are promoted to full member. You've been registered for a while, and we're always looking forward to new members experience, so if you just write a simple intro in the Welcome Area so we get to know a little about you, you'll get promoted in no time.

Kind regards,

Mandrake