Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Separating pulp from seed tek anybody?  (Read 12925 times)

medolon

• Trading Score: +30
  • Woods is the meditation
Separating pulp from seed tek anybody?
« on: November 18, 2019, 05:43:09 AM »

I'm pretty sure I use a very inefficient way of separating the seeds from the pulp it resides in. For example for passion fluit, dragon fruit, elderberry, etc. - I soak it up, then drain and massage it a bit in a strainer, then spread the remaining mass on a paper towel, let it dry partially and then rub the seeds to separate the flesh that is still stuck to it - OK for a few dozen seeds, but doesn't scale up well for hundreds/thousands. There must be a better way.

Thank you!
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 05:44:15 AM by medolon »

chronic

• Trading Score: +97
Re: Separating pulp from seed tek anybody?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2019, 10:38:44 AM »

I usually do it the way you described it.

Alternatively I work with fermentation, for example with very small seeds like those from Belladonna.
If fermentation is desired, all the components are placed in a pot and filled with two-thirds water. The seeds now have the opportunity to remove their seed husk. This is done when the seeds feel rough. During the fermentation no lid may be put on the pot, because pressure builds up. A layer of yeast can be normal. Leave the container with the contents covered for 2-3 days in a warm place (not hermetically sealed!).
The fermentation process is best carried out at temperatures between 23 and 30 °C.

Then all you have to do is dry the seeds, you can put them in portions into a coffee filter or let them dry on a wooden board. Ideally, do not leave them in the blazing sun, but in a shady, warm and dry place.

After 2-3 days the seeds should be dry.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 10:44:51 AM by chronic »

medolon

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2019, 04:52:47 PM »

Thank you for sharing your tek, chronic!

Would there be no risk for seeds to start germinating if I leave them in water for several days?

Bach

• Chacruna whisperer
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +406
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2019, 11:04:21 PM »

Since seeds sink in water faster than the pulp, I use a small bowl or cup, add water and stir it all up into a slurry. Wait for the seeds to settle out but before the water stops moving, pour some out and the pulp goes with it. Repeat as necessary till all you have is seeds.

Takes a bit of practice and different seeds will require different techniques but this method works great for separating out P. viridis seed.
Forget the night, live with us in forests of azure.

medolon

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2019, 02:54:32 AM »

That's an interesting approach. I'm definitely going to try that one next time I need to do the separation - thank you very much, Bach!

chronic

• Trading Score: +97
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2019, 08:49:57 PM »

The seeds do not germinate during the treatment. Many plants have seeds which, after ripening, have a dormancy of a few weeks to a few months in order to ripen optimally.
This is different with many tropical plants which usually have only a short germ window.