Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: hatching chickens ! ona budget incubator  (Read 6370 times)

ONandONandON

• Trading Score: +76
  • Looking 4 Supercalifragilistic Expialidocious Spp.
hatching chickens ! ona budget incubator
« on: June 23, 2019, 10:34:38 PM »

So i have some chickens that lay lots of eggs, but they have been bred to not want to sit on them..
just wanted to share plans for cheap incubator, and fun of growing chickens.. will post pictures soon.
they are currently hatching, i have 10+chiks so far, and there may be 20+ more eggs hatching soon!

an incubator is simply any box which you can maintain the temperature at exactly 100F degrees..
even just a degree more or less will effect hatching, but it is better to under-heat than over-heat.

My box is a plastic sterilite bin, filled 1/3rd with water.. a shower curtain covers top and floats on water..
water is heated to exactly 100F, by using adjustable-fish-tank-heater (cost about 20$ i already had one)
Probe thermometer (5$) is used for monitoring temperature on top of floating plastic, you keep it at 100!
Adjust water heater temp about 100 or slightly more.. then temp can be lowered by adding more water.
When the temp. stabilizes, add eggs,  cover with layer of cotton, to help hold in heat, and cradle eggs.
..then wait about 20 days, turning the eggs 180* everyday, until hatching begins..
THEn.. slowly acclimate chicks to regular temps.. about a full week, keep them warm at about 95-90*F..
Keep one side of the box warm, keep other-side cool, so they can get away from the heat if needed.
Provide water in a shallow dish, i have a tiny ceramic bathtub i use, but just be sure they can't fall in.
handful of food on the floor, medicated chick food is recommended, regular crushed chicken food works.

Of course if money is no issue, you can buy an incubator for about 50$m but this method works fine..
cheap cheap cheap!   feel free to post any  questions, or information.  8)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 11:20:05 PM by ONandONandON »
we all come from the garden and to it we shall return

ONandONandON

Re: hatching chickens ! on budget incubator
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2019, 11:19:37 PM »

ONandONandON

Re: hatching chickens ! ona budget incubator
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2019, 05:22:49 AM »

So many snakes! ive relocated 4 snakes in the past four days... At least they are non poison rat snakes.

i stuffed all holes and edges of chicken pen with plastic. Does anyone know how to discourage snakes?

ONandONandON

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2021, 11:24:18 PM »

NEW YEAR NEW CHICKS   8)

picture from about 5 days ago, but they are already about 5 times bigger.
i bought a 25$ inkbird temperature controller, which can turn any box/fan/heater into an incubator,
so much easier than checking and adjusting the temperature 1000 times.

Also got some baby ducks my grandmother gave me, so i will probably be digging a pond this year.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2021, 11:26:06 PM by ONandONandON »

RatsboggleBiological

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2021, 12:47:34 AM »

AWWWW! Heck yeah, I love chickens! I think they are so cute. Sometimes they're even nice to cuddle with when they are big and fluffy and feathery.

They all have such different personalities.

But they all taste delicious! Heh. Or make nice eggs.

Awesome!