Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Coarse Sharp Sand - Is this TOO coarse???  (Read 4011 times)

Shpongle Lover

• Trading Score: +3
Coarse Sharp Sand - Is this TOO coarse???
« on: August 21, 2013, 11:27:55 PM »

Thanks to a generous benefactor, I have ~ 25 or so Lophophora seeds.  I spent the last hour sifting some pretty damned fine sand to eliminate the small particles and ended up with this sandy aggregate.  I could always add back more sand if it is deemed advisable by the opinions of this esteemed and knowledgeable group.

Could I get some guidance here?  Did I overdo the sifting, and is this too course?

Thanks in advance.

S,L.
You say you want a change, then make a change.

New Wisdom

• Professional Cactus Hoarder
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +223
  • Zone 6B
Re: Coarse Sharp Sand - Is this TOO coarse???
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 11:41:35 PM »

Personally I use the fine sand.  Rather than the big chunks. I'm not sure what's better though.
Cactus = Life

Shpongle Lover

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 11:51:17 PM »

I've read article after article and everyone's methodology and "soil" recommendations seem different...sometime dramatically so.  I have 50 lbs of fine sand. This is what I took out of it with my wife's kitchen sieve.  Good thing she's not looking over my shoulder as I type.   ;D

I think I'll add back some finer sand, wash it and sterilize it in my pressure cooker tonight.  Tomorrow we sow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! <happy dance>

S.L.

Mandrake

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +13
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 12:16:03 AM »

I'm certainly not the best person here to give recommendations based on experience (my first batch ever of cacti seeds is germinating now, and thankfully they seem to be coming up nicely) but based on simple observation I would go with finer sand. Those are tiny seeds that need light exposure for germination, and grow very slowly, obviously including the germinal roots. With very coarse sand, there's the chance of seeds falling through a gap, or having more trouble to hang on the soil particles.

But again, I'm a newbie with cacti seeds and I'm using coco coir, so take what I say with a grain of... sand *bada-bing*

Cheers,

Mandrake

New Wisdom

• Professional Cactus Hoarder
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +223
  • Zone 6B
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2013, 12:45:17 AM »

I'm certainly not the best person here to give recommendations based on experience (my first batch ever of cacti seeds is germinating now, and thankfully they seem to be coming up nicely) but based on simple observation I would go with finer sand. Those are tiny seeds that need light exposure for germination, and grow very slowly, obviously including the germinal roots. With very coarse sand, there's the chance of seeds falling through a gap, or having more trouble to hang on the soil particles.

But again, I'm a newbie with cacti seeds and I'm using coco coir, so take what I say with a grain of... sand *bada-bing*

Cheers,

Mandrake

This is true. I would use the sand that you sifted honestly.  The finer part without the big chunks in it.
Cactus = Life

Sunshine

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +96
  • Hibernating
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013, 01:17:59 AM »

Alas, your hard work sifting was not done in vain. That coarse sand you sifted out would make an excellent pot draining material for the bottom of the pots of your other plants. :)

Shpongle Lover

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2013, 01:39:36 AM »

True!  I'm going to follow everyone's advice!  Thanks, guys.

S.L.