Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: New Gardener - Overwhelmed  (Read 2334 times)

adept1

New Gardener - Overwhelmed
« on: November 20, 2017, 09:22:11 PM »

INTRO (Can be skipped): Hey everyone, I'm both new here on the site as well as to gardening in general.  Last winter was my first attempt to start a small container garden using 5 gallon air pots.  I grew Peppers (Jalapeno, Carolina Reaper, California Wonder) as well as Tomato's and Cucumbers.  I felt I had some pretty good success over the spring, and summer, finishing up all my outdoor pots a month ago, only bringing a few inside to overwinter, or so I planned.

With that said, once I got indoors things are not going as planned.  I think MAYBE it's due to my over-care from being inside instead of out, but what I'm running into are issues with light, I think.

ACTUAL INFO:
My setup for the purpose of this post is a 2x2x48 tent, with a 300w MARSHYDRO Led Light (18" above plants).  Under that light I've placed a Trinidad Scorpion pepper and Bulgarian pepper plant that I wanted to grow over the winter and re-pot and move outside in the spring time.  The Trinidadian Scorpion Pepper leaves are "Cupping" like I haven't see before.  Researching online I can't seem to identify an exact match of others having similar problems, but I've narrowed it down to either (a) too much light or (b) not enough water (unlikely).  Can someone take a look at the attached and confirm for me, or send me in another direction?  Thanks!

Psylocke

• Curandero
  • Trading Score: +56
  • Howdy Y'all
Re: New Gardener - Overwhelmed
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 03:50:47 AM »

I doubt its too much light. Can you measure humidity? Maybe put a small humidifier in there. Also make sure you dont have any critters munching on them. Check the underside of those leaves really carefully.
Undergoing the formality of being alive.

dionysus

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2017, 10:23:51 PM »

Are you heating this winter? Sometimes the extra air flow and temperature increase upsets my plants and dries them out a bit. You could remedy this with a bit more water if they seem to need it, but thats pretty much just putting a bandage on the issue--I would look into a humidifier like Psylocke suggested. Good luck!

jbz711

• Subversive Garden Installer
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +61
  • 8b/9a
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2017, 03:05:50 PM »

I have to keep the humidity in my tent between 70-90 RH and to do so I use a large polycarbonate tub like this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002NQB63E/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_l2osAb16D2FZM
I fill it with water every morning and float an ultrasonic fogger in it: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PAK245E/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_C4osAbTYSBGKH
Then I use a small non-oscillating fan clipped to the tent structure to provide circulation.   This is in addition to ventilation on the tent.  I too grow Morugas and concur that humidity is the issue.
We must cultivate our garden. - Voltaire