Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Growing plants upside down  (Read 3116 times)

TBM

• The Botanical Madman
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +75
  • Onward to the new
Growing plants upside down
« on: August 09, 2013, 10:01:42 PM »

As many of you already know, there are methods for growing plants (tomatoes plants are popular) upside down, it's fairly simple to do so this got me thinking: what other plants can be successfully grown upside down? What are the advantages (if any) to growing plants using this method? I'd imagine any plant which grows as a vine could be grown upside down.

Does anyone here grow plants using a similar method?

http://www.wikihow.com/Grow-Tomatoes-Upside-Down

New Wisdom

• Professional Cactus Hoarder
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +223
  • Zone 6B
Re: Growing plants upside down
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 10:11:13 PM »

I wonder what a pereskiopsis would do when grown upside down. I think that I'm going to try it.
Cactus = Life

Sunshine

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +96
  • Hibernating
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 11:17:07 PM »

I have seen plant successfully grow upside down. Honestly I think its just a sham marketers made up to make money. If it was actually worth doing, we would see growers everywhere doing it. Or at the very least, we would see it growing in popularity.

New Wisdom

• Professional Cactus Hoarder
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +223
  • Zone 6B
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2013, 04:40:25 AM »

I think it's just interesting to see what happens.  I'm not expecting any benefit really.  What is the supposed benefit anyways.
Cactus = Life

TBM

• The Botanical Madman
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +75
  • Onward to the new
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2013, 07:21:42 AM »

Well when it comes to gardening outdoors, you don't need to worry about having wire cages for plants like tomatoes or green beans or anything that needs help staying off the ground. It would also keep most pests like ants and most weeds away because they're suspended in the air. From what I've been reading the only thing that could be a downside is that they can dry out faster.

Apparently it's good for anything that grows as a vine, where you can hang the roots wherever and then the vine just hangs below... I wonder if I try planting passionflower upside down if it would work...
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 07:24:34 AM by TBM »