Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Ideas for expanding solar as a legitimized and interesting industry  (Read 2531 times)

Mr. seeds

• Trading Score: 13
  • JSK

So; one thing I want car companies to think about is designing solar cars! I was looking at an Ad for different cars and I found it interesting; a lot of the original models actually look like they could easily be innovated to being run by solar; which got me thinking...

Why not reuse most of the car parts we already have; at least for now- and sort of "redneck it" lol. Well; to be more specific I think it'd be cool to see these cars as a turning point for vehicles as an Industry... I know it might sound intimidating to branch out into other fields after you've established yourself... but here's my sales pitch car companies...

Why not as a collective industry; as in coal, oil, nuclear; etc- gravitate toward renewable energies... like solar; which as we colonize space we'll be able to start creating huge solar farms... We'd have literally unlimited power.. Which; would spark up this huge renaissance in technology. Which... I know abandoning the almighty dollar sounds kinda cooky... but.. rather than having money; why not acknowledge that we're all literally in this together...

Which means that we can't keep putting our home at risk... okay.. We can't keep putting this planet up for sale; or the government... Which means that rather than running a business... if we expect this bright future.. we will at some point HAVE to abandon both currency and our current ways of doing business... (at least abandon certain practices and norms in capitalism and business... at the least! ;) I know a lot of people really do love capitalism; I actually respect that).

Here's my point; we live in a day and age when we're smart enough to discover that we've only discovered like.. what? Five percent of the entire universe?! But still too stubborn to recognize that war doesn't help anyone.... And that making more profit isn't necessarily progress... so.. honestly, try to show that theres this demand for innovation in renewable energies and sustainable relationships with the Earth...

What might sound especially controversial is uncovering a lot of the toxins we've already put in the Earth, Air, And Ocean to best know how to deal with it and how we might even find a way to take these things out of the Earth.... Which; involves admitting that we humans do that..

Its not something to hold a grudge over.... but I think that if say; corporations who have done those things; if they actually pulled together the information they use for building a good business and coalitioned that with other groups and made all of this an international priority... well; you can bet your sweet booty that theres gonna be a flourishing in our future!
life is like a seed; sometimes in order to grow you have to be dropped in dirt, covered by darkness, and struggle for light. The answer is the light in the darkness...

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • Trading Score: +140
  • <3
Re: Ideas for expanding solar as a legitimized and interesting industry
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2016, 01:04:00 PM »

So far I kept myself out of engineering discussions on STS, as the board is not a engineering board and there are many forums specifically for applied sciences and especially for chemistry, physics, electronics, engineering, machining and car building.
Also I feel your post is in the wrong subforum as a car has little to nothing to do with a garden, I shall move it to the off topic section.

To answer your question: it remains unclear what you mean by 'solar car'. If you mean a car that uses solar radiation to produce required energy in situ the discussion comes to an end when considering the current state of solar energy. Photovoltalics would be the only option one could seriously discuss for such application and at the time the efficiency and longlivety of a solar cell is by no means suitable to power a car if said car has to provide all the surface area for energy 'generation'. Further limitations would be nights, tunnels, any kinds of shadows or just bad weather, which of course could be dealt with for short time, if the solar cells would be capable of powering the vehicle at all.
Yes, experimental solar cars exist, those run in good daytime conditions but are by no means usable, safe, fast or offer any space or comfort.

Now if you are referring to a car running on electricity that has been generated off site in order to charge said car the discussion again is at its end, as electric cars do exist, just like solar energy (in this application we are free to use whatever method works best for a given geographical location [solar power plants utilize different mechanisms]).

Rednecking anything is just not compliant with regulations which to some extend make sense. Chassis should not simply be converted to electric vehicles because the battery packs will likely end up in spaces where they a) reduce usable space in the vehicle and b) mess up center of gravity. Adding a battery pack was not a design objective in the process of designing a chassis of a fossil fuelled vehicle. Also many other parts are not suitable, suspension parts might not be up to accept additional loads from heavy battery packs and so on.

There is many interesting concepts, some real bad psuedo scientific, others feasible, like adding solar cells to the general infrastructure, so a highway, upsetting the landscape anyways, could be upgraded to generate electricity from sunlight and maybe at the same time shade the highway. Also standartised interchangable battery packs could be charged at gas stations and exchanged to reduce 'charging' times, the motorist would pay for the energy in the battery pack and also cover all other expenses like the service itself and the lifetime reduction of the batteries and quality insurance etc.

Future motoring is a endless topic, alternative fuels, electric, trains, aircraft, undersea, autonomous operation, sharing jadda jadda. I guess you'll have to be more specific. But in general I'd like to point out that motoring alone is not responsible for combined emission of pollutants.

Get uncomfy and go slow:
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 03:13:11 PM by BubbleCat »
Praise is mandatory.

Mr. seeds

• Trading Score: 13
  • JSK
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2016, 07:47:43 PM »

Nice! I'm thinking that I really need to learn some of the basics of energy production and renewable energies; I definitely need to attain more books and eventually get into a descent university for this stuff!
life is like a seed; sometimes in order to grow you have to be dropped in dirt, covered by darkness, and struggle for light. The answer is the light in the darkness...

LIBERTYNY

• Trading Score: +85
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2016, 09:54:03 PM »

step 1,   End ALL government subsidies.  So people can have a honest view of what works and what does not.
III%

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • Trading Score: +140
  • <3
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2016, 10:57:45 PM »

Step 2: Get rid of taxes, they are nothing but 'negative subsidies' and the basis for other subsidies.

If you get rid of all regulation, consumer protection, eco bluh bluh in step 3 you'd get somewhere close to a working market.
Praise is mandatory.