Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Morning Glory blooms?  (Read 9043 times)

arborescent

• Trading Score: +33
  • phytognostic
Morning Glory blooms?
« on: August 06, 2013, 11:26:26 PM »

Does anyone have any surefire tricks for getting their morning glories to bloom, and stay blooming?

I never water ones I have in the ground, but they still think it's a good idea to expand leaf growth.
The past 2 years I've tried in-the-ground plants I get lots of flowers from late summer till first frost, but the seeds are always just a little immature.

The ones in pots, I could maybe water less...
Anybody have success keeping them consistently thirsty?  Seems like it might harm them too much.

The only way I've seen to get quick flowers is really small pots.  Maybe I should try more of that.
Bonsai heavenly blue?

Sunshine

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +96
  • Hibernating
Re: Morning Glory blooms?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 12:12:06 AM »

My mom always gets them to bloom and produce seeds with no problem.

I don't have any experience getting them to seed though. This is the first year I'm growing them. I have around 7 giant heavenly blue morning glories that should be flowering soon. They don't have buds yet from what I can see.

nobody

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +335
  • Hidden Member Extraordinaire
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 04:21:31 PM »

Change the nutrients they are given. Find a fertilizer you are comfortable using marked ¨Bloom¨, should do the trick. Dont forget to aerate the soil around the area fertilized. However most heavenly blue dont normally start flowering for 90 - 100 days.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 08:46:08 AM by nobody »
¨At any time, you can turn on your computer, log into Facebook and watch humanity´s collective ego, mid masturbation¨.

Sunshine

• Global Moderator
  • Hibernating
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 09:51:42 PM »

Nana, do you know if they autoflower or do they flower based on light hours?

Cane Blossom

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +9
  • vibrational awareness
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 10:58:18 PM »

for me they flowered basically year round back in alaska (the hours of light varied from 5 in winter to 21 in summer) - so i wouldn't think it is based on light.
0 = -1 + 1
no thing = thing + unthing.
an infinite fractality of duality divided out of nothingness.
Ex nihil panton fit

cogito, ergo... cogito

the bong is my wind instrument

Mandrake

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +13
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 11:48:53 PM »

In my experience, to encourage flowering in morning glories once the first 3-4 months of growth have passed, give them as much sun as you can, avoid nitrogen rich fertilizers and soils -that will encourage growth, not bloom- do not overwater, and give them plenty of phosphates.

The unpredictable factor is genetics. If you started seeds produced by plants growing in a climate like yours, you'll get the best results. Otherwise, it might take some more time for them to adapt their morphology to your environment.

Cheers,

Mandrake

fairdinkumseeds

• Trading Score: +545
  • May you reap exactly what you sow......
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 07:00:42 PM »

We have a heap near the fire pit that were not flowering. Had a huge fire, and the down wind side got a bit scorched one afternoon, and the stress seemed to kick them into reproduction mode.
They flowered 2x as quick as the others on the other side of the pit that didn't get burnt by the really hot winds/smoke.
They are dying back now, and we have picked most of them, but the ones on the left that were unharmed are still pumping along steady steady.
Much lower yield and the plants looked raggedy, but if you ever want to sped things up, a bit of heat/smoke damage to the stems might be worth a crack?
In moderation of course.
Sucks, but AU-OS trade isn't cost effective or reliable anymore. Aussie trade encouraged, especially for cactus, dragonfruit, and colour fruited columns.
Hit me up! --> fairdinkumseeds.com/contact

nobody

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +335
  • Hidden Member Extraordinaire
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 07:27:56 PM »

Some are close to what could be considered auto flower, but this tends to vary widely. Like Mandrake said genetics make things pretty unpredictable. My heavenly blue started flowering at 95 days and have kept a 56 day cycle (following the moon phase) of flowering and not flowering (56 on / 56 off). Now the G. Ott variety I have started producing flowers at one week and have not stopped in almost 2 years.  I grow mine in beds and keep them pretty dry, the leaves normally wilt every day at about 2pm because of the heat here.

I have not tried exposing them to fire, i might try that now.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 08:34:47 AM by nobody »
¨At any time, you can turn on your computer, log into Facebook and watch humanity´s collective ego, mid masturbation¨.

arborescent

• Trading Score: +33
  • phytognostic
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2013, 02:58:11 PM »

Thanks much for the advice, guys.  I'll be on the lookout for some quick-flowering varieties, maybe Clarke's Heavenly Blue is better than the heirloom varieties I planted.

I like the ideas for alternative stress factors too.  I'll have to try fire, maybe a sudden shift in pH would work too, or photoperiod fluctuation.  Of course, all next year.

My heirloom Pearly Gates did bloom, but only by the beginning of September, so I remain doubtful I'll get any seeds this year.  Damn temperate climate!  :'(

Sunshine

• Global Moderator
  • Hibernating
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2013, 07:33:13 PM »

Mine just started blooming too and I'm in zone 5b bro. I think we'll get seeds no worries. :)

PermieGing

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +11
  • Grow the future of humanity!
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2013, 09:20:29 PM »

The whole mg plant is special, and is full of specialness!

:)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 11:18:42 PM by PermieGing »
“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.”  Bill Mollison

"You can solve all the worlds problems in a garden" Geoff Lawton

PermieGing

• Trader
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2013, 09:22:56 PM »

Pretty flowers
“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.”  Bill Mollison

Korla Plankton

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +8
  • Grow Your Mind
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2013, 09:27:10 PM »

mmmmm... that blue is delicious :)
A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.
-Greek Proverb

Lukas123

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +64
  • High on Life
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2013, 08:18:18 PM »

Morning glorys seem to flower all by themself.
Only time i have seen some morning glorys not flower was one year when my mother grew them.
They did grow very very good but no flowers.
I think she got 1 or 2, that was all.
She told me she had over fertilized them and this was the reason they grew so good and not produced any flowers.
So take it slow with the fertilizers and you should be good.
I have beatiful blue ones flowering right now, they sure are magical...   ;)

Lukas123
Give a man a bread and he will have food for one day. Teach him to grow plants and he will spend all day in the garden drinking beer.

PermieGing

• Trader
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2013, 08:43:17 PM »

More pretty flowas

Pages: [1] 2