Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: How often to water T bridgesii?  (Read 7186 times)

The Clam

• Trading Score: +20
How often to water T bridgesii?
« on: September 29, 2016, 12:13:19 AM »

How often should I water my T bridgesii, I heard it was prone to rot and would like to avoid that.

Frog Pajamas

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +576
  • Zone 7A
Re: How often to water T bridgesii?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 02:53:49 AM »

It depends on the growing environment.

Are you growing indoors or outdoors, and what's your climate or growing setup like?

The Clam

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2016, 03:02:52 AM »

Its indoor, the temp is about 68 to 78, the soil is cardboard, some bone meal, some egg shell, a LOT of sand (not mixed in as well as I would like it to be though) and a boiled and chopped banana. (I had no dirt what so ever so I had to improvise but my other plants seem to be doing well so im assuming I did good lol) and its growing in a cut in half vinegar bottle with holes I drilled.

planter

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2016, 03:28:51 AM »

Yes, it depends.  If you grow outdoors and it gets below freezing in the winter, it might go something like this...  A month before cold weather arrives, stop watering at all.  Only water during the growing season.  If the ribs flatten noticeably, that would be an indication it needs watering.  Rain might be all the watering it needs.  Or you could water regularly, whenever the soil in the pot gets dry. 

Considering your current conditions:  I would put it in the sunniest window available, if you cannot put it outdoors.  New growth will probably be etiolated (skinny) due to low light level.  Personally, i would remove the cardboard and banana.  In fact, sand might be fine by itself, although it will need some nutrients, either from fertilizer or some sort of compost.  In a window year round, I might only water deeply once a month.

The Clam

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2016, 04:40:37 AM »

I don't think I can take it out because I would have to uproot and strain the soil and it would be a huge hassle but il defiantly reduce the watering down to once a month

nikshaz

• Trading Score: +151
  • This is gods work, creation..just create ethically
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2016, 05:34:31 AM »

You should make a grow log with some pictures. I'm interested to see how it's going to do.

Typically I water my cactus and succulents when the soil is bone dry.  Touch the top of the soil (in your case growing medium) to feel the top of the soil and dig your index finger into the sand to feel if there is any moisture in there.

When there is a lot of sand you have a lot of aeration to those roots. Feel that growing medium. Also don't dribble water, always water your growing medium well. Water draining from the pot, growing medium moist. That's just rule of thumb

Considering your current conditions:  I would put it in the sunniest window available, if you cannot put it outdoors.  New growth will probably be etiolated (skinny) due to low light level.  Personally, i would remove the cardboard and banana.  In fact, sand might be fine by itself, although it will need some nutrients, either from fertilizer or some sort of compost.  In a window year round, I might only water deeply once a month.

Like what planter said, get it in a window with bright direct and indirect sunlight sunlight, more direct if possible. Cacti don't need a whole lot of nutrient especially since the northern hemisphere is going into winter. Just some dirt from the ground outside with sand would be okay, large rocks too.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 05:36:37 AM by nikshaz »
We are our own creators

The man with the seeds is the man indeed

JMZ

• Trading Score: +149
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2016, 07:23:11 AM »

I've had several bridgesii to rot. Since then, I added more sand and rocks to soil, and i put them where they won't get rained on. So far, no more rot. 
Kratom is my fountain of youth.

The Clam

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2016, 07:27:54 AM »

Alright, I actually have mine inside. my soil is about 70% sand 30% soil, it is play sand I think which is a bit finer than I would have liked but il have to see how it goes.

bezevo

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2016, 09:26:57 PM »

First  it is best to use a terracotta  pot that will dry out quicker after watering .
Avoid  plastic , glazed ceramics  or  glass, you want a porous material .
 Make sure your Terracotta pot has a good  drainage hole in bottom  that's  not blocked.

I use a  cactus soil /Schultz  brand . I add 50% perlite . some  crushed limestone . and some Azmonite  for  trace minerals  . 

I  grow in pots in  zone 5A out doors  in summer .our temps range from 110f  to -20f.
I bring them  indoors at night spring and fall when temps drop to 40s  that's Fahrenheit  .
 During winters  I stop watering a month before first freeze ,no water while they sleep!
They go into a dark cool/cold basement room to sleep threw winter .

When I water during summer I wait till the soil is dry ,then give a good drink .
 Then I let soil become dry again .

light diluted fertilizer once or twice early summer ..  easy does it ha
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 12:23:26 AM by bezevo »
I GROW !

zone 5b

The Clam

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2016, 11:46:00 PM »

Alright, I have mine in a cut out, 2 liter soda bottle (im gardening on a budget of 0$ lol) but in the future I would like to get it in something more clay like. Would you recommend watering in winter indoors? It stays around 60 to 70 where it is and gets a lot of overcast sunlight but im not sure if that's enough to consider watering.

bezevo

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2016, 12:19:35 AM »

In the winter If the cactus are  in a cold dark  room no water .

if you have in a sunny window  I would guess  less water .

Often you  can find used clay or terracotta pots  at a garage sale or thrift store ..wash used pots  really well .

Also  big box stores or nurseries often have pots  discounted in the fall or winter .
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 12:25:19 AM by bezevo »
I GROW !

zone 5b

The Clam

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2016, 03:03:39 AM »

Alright, well il have to see what I can find