Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Salvia venulosa/Salvia Divinorum  (Read 8141 times)

GrowerAndaShower

• Trading Score: +31
Salvia venulosa/Salvia Divinorum
« on: August 04, 2016, 04:45:34 AM »

So, I know there's been a few users working on Salvia Divinorum seeds,with some success. Salvia venulosa is supposed to be the closest relative to Sally. Do we have any Columbian users? If someone could acquire one of these plants I think cross breeding the two should be attempted, back breeding the divinorum in a few times to see if we can add some diversity but keep the Divinorum genetics primary, and maybe it'll set seeds easier?
Probably just a hypothetical dream, but this would be awesome to try to attempt, and see what happens. Something about every plant in our possession being one of what, 7 named strains and only 3 that are definitely distinct(Wasson, Blosser, and Luna)? Yeah that. That makes me nervous, non diverse plants can't adapt, and without a strain that sets seeds easier diversity is going to be difficult...
Back with a vengeance! And TITS!

The Seedist

• Trading Score: +35
  • A bookworm
Re: Salvia venulosa/Salvia Divinorum
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2016, 02:18:52 PM »

Do we have any Columbian users?
You need to read this old book to advance your technique of growing S. divinorum successfully. I'm keeping to search for dedicated Colombians, natives of Colombia or ones who have contacts in that country to get S. venulosa seeds. What did you do to get them too?
Faith as small as a mustard seed can move mountains.

just one seed

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2016, 06:16:54 PM »

It does make sense to try to cross Sally with other Salvias, too, regardless of chromosome count.

http://journal.ashspublications.org/content/136/1/41.full

"Hybrids between Salvia species with unequal chromosome numbers have been reported in the past. Salvia nemorosa, with 14 chromosomes, has been reported to form natural, fertile hybrids with S. pratensis (Kerner con Marilaun, 1891) with 18 chromosomes (Goldblatt and Johnson, 1979). Epling (1938) observed natural hybrids between S. columbaria (2n = 26) and S. mellifera (2n = 30) (Epling et al., 1962). Salvia farinacea [2n = 18 (Haque and Ghoshal, 1980) or 2n = 20 (Alberto et al., 2003)] and S. longispicata (2n = 22; Goldblatt and Johnson, 1979) have formed a chance sterile hybrid in cultivation (Clebsch, 2003). Together, these data suggest that Salvia is highly tolerant of aneuploidy in its hybrids and that different chromosome numbers in this genus are not an absolute barrier to hybrid formation."
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 06:17:58 PM by just one seed »

GrowerAndaShower

• Trading Score: +31
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2016, 09:25:29 PM »

This is good information! Maybe we need to just randomly try crossing Sally D with other salvia species, and maybe some Coleus cultivars? I mean, something in me just screams "there's a hybrid out there for seed production with Divinorum effects".
Back with a vengeance! And TITS!

just one seed

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2016, 07:46:27 AM »

This is good information! Maybe we need to just randomly try crossing Sally D with other salvia species, and maybe some Coleus cultivars? I mean, something in me just screams "there's a hybrid out there for seed production with Divinorum effects".

Coleus is exactly my plan  ;D And others, too, mostly based on growth habit (vigor) and that I try to pick non-toxic ones. For example not S. officinalis because who wants to ingest thujone?

Inyan

• Trading Score: +28
  • Find what makes you happy and do it.
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2017, 04:41:20 AM »

This article covers some of the basics of hybridizing Salvia. http://salvia-hybrids.blogspot.com

There are also a few more advanced tricks that don't require anything fancy to do them... just a right understanding of who to do them if anyone is interested in them. One of my favorite tricks... mentor pollination is discussed here along with a few other techniques.
Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Kada

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2021, 11:30:51 AM »

wasnt a hybrid already created maybe a decade or so ago?  i remember it became a big argument as the doing it made a game and would only tell the winner of a contest or something.  i vaguely remember it coming out it wasnt pure SD seed, but a hybrid.  anyone remember that?