Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: B. Caapi- Browning leaf tips  (Read 11407 times)

Saros

• Trading Score: +48
  • (x²+y²-1)³-x²y³=0
B. Caapi- Browning leaf tips
« on: July 17, 2013, 05:14:32 PM »

I'm about 90% sure I know what caused this, but figured I'd post anyway in case anyone else with more experience growing caapi has other ideas. Also to help others who run into a similar problem trying to grow this wonderful plant.

Several days ago I noticed the tips of a couple leaves on one of my B. Caapi (red) turning brown. I pretty much immediately knew that I had let it dry out too much because about a week before that I had started cutting back on how frequently I water it. I did that because for some reason I had a suspicion that I was over-watering. No signs of it, I just thought I was watering a lot and wanted to see what happened if I cut back. I guess the saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" holds true with plants too:)

Since I noticed the browning leaf tips, I resumed daily watering. For a couple days it seemed the brown tips seemed to grow a little more and two of the lowest leaves turned yellow and dropped off. But now it seems that it has stopped progressing and other parts of the plant are growing vigorously.

Also an interesting thing I noticed was that the one tip that was growing fastest right before I let it get too try, hasn't grown much, if at all. It's almost like the plant grows in a certain direction until some conditions aren't ideal, then it stops, and puts it's efforts into growing a different direction. Maybe just coincidence. But interesting to watch how it chooses which branches to grow.

Sunshine

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +96
  • Hibernating
Re: B. Caapi- Browning leaf tips
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 12:45:39 AM »

The browning tips are from low humidity. I have seen that happen to several different species of plant. You should mist them, and the ground around them to keep humidity up. Don't do it mid day when the sun is strong though or the water droplets will magnify the light and burn your plant.

Z

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +3
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 08:30:40 PM »

Actually 2 cent, caapi is very good when it comes to low humidity.... It's more likely salt build up or too much direct sunlight, or last but not least "shock" caapi (red seems to be extra prone) is quit easily shocked which will cause the leaves to start to brown then eventually fall off if not corrected all three of which have happened to me Although 2cent is right most plants that require humidity will brown when the RH is dropped but non of my caapi never seemed to have that big of issue with it and my RH is 16%

Just my opinion
-Z

EDIT: also I'm not sure if your in a pot or I the ground but your ph seems I could be off by a little judging by the tips curving sideways. Again just something to Check
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 08:36:52 PM by Z »

Sunshine

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +96
  • Hibernating
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2013, 10:45:05 PM »

Thanks for correcting me Z.
I did not know caapi could tolerate low humidity. I thought it was like psychotria requiring very high humidity levels.

The plant is native to the rain forest though. Raising the humidity a little bit couldn't hurt.

Good info Z. +1 to you. :)

Saros

• (x²+y²-1)³-x²y³=0
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 08:09:05 PM »

Thanks guys,

I'm pretty sure humidity is OK.. it's usually very humid in my greenhouse.. I have misters come on during the night and get everything nice and wet, then during the day it evaporates and keeps it nice and steamy in there. Though if it gets hot enough a fan comes on to cool things off.. I suppose that could drop the humidity quite a bit, especially if it's not very humid outside.

Most of my plants are in pots because they'll likely have to come inside during the winter (I don't think I can afford to heat the greenhouse). So it could be salt build-up or PH.. I'll test the soil tonight. Thanks for the tip:)

nobody

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +335
  • Hidden Member Extraordinaire
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2013, 08:06:28 AM »

is the new growth normal or stunted? can you post a pic?

« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 08:49:55 AM by nobody »
¨At any time, you can turn on your computer, log into Facebook and watch humanity´s collective ego, mid masturbation¨.

Saros

• (x²+y²-1)³-x²y³=0
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2013, 10:20:45 PM »

The new growth seems OK to me.. The tip that I mentioned had stopped growing previously is back to growing again, along with the 3 other growing tips.

The two large yellow leaves below the new ones in this first picture were from around the time that I noticed the browning tips.

You can also see there's some insect damage. I'm not sure what exactly. Possibly ants? I see them running around on this plant frequently but haven't observed them chewing on it or carrying leaf bits around.. I occasionally dust it with diatomaceous earth but it doesn't seems to deter the ants much, and with the daily misting, it washes off pretty fast.

nobody

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +335
  • Hidden Member Extraordinaire
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2013, 04:07:29 AM »

Ants that dont eat the plant are usually farming aphids and or mealy bugs. Check the underside of the leafs and the margins carefully. Ants ¨farm¨ aphids and mealy bugs because their waste is almost pure sugar, they will protect them from predators (ladybugs and such) and move them around to find the most productive spots.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 08:48:50 AM by nobody »
¨At any time, you can turn on your computer, log into Facebook and watch humanity´s collective ego, mid masturbation¨.

Saros

• (x²+y²-1)³-x²y³=0
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2013, 06:01:30 PM »

I repotted her this weekend and found the ant colony had made this pot it's home.. No aphids or anything on this plant, but I did have an aphid problem on my adjacent P. Alba for a while. I think the ants were just exploring or using the caapi as a highway to other plants.. anyway, I blasted em out of the soil with the hose before repotting. hopefully they'll take it as a hint that they aren't welcome in this pot=)