Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Germination Station  (Read 10234 times)

New Wisdom

• Professional Cactus Hoarder
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +223
  • Zone 6B
Germination Station
« on: June 23, 2013, 11:04:44 PM »

So, I have a lot of seeds that are germinating.  I went to a pet store and got an aquarium and a heating pad two days ago for them. After a day of being in there more and more seeds started popping up.  So, I thought I'd share it with y'all.

So, I got an aquarium. It's about 1' tall 2 ' long and 1' wide.  I got this aquarium heating mat as well. I put it under the aquarium and then put the aquarium under a T5 florescent light.  I put all of my pots with the seedlings in them into the aquarium.  I spray the inside of it with a spray bottle and I also spray the tops of the coir mix that i make for germination.   I keep a clear lid on the top as well. 

Since I did this I have watched as the germination rates increased like mad!  I would recommend a similar set up to anyone germinating cacti. I believe this would work for other types of seedlings as well too. 

Here are some pictures.

The first one is the heat mat I got. 

The second one is just an outside view of the aquarium.

The third is the inside of the tank with all of my newly germinated cacti.  The big pot has 200 T. bridgesii seeds in it. The round one (mid sized) has 25 dragon fruit in it. The smallest round one has 25 M. geometrizans in it. Then the rectangle one has 30 T. peruvianus seeds in it.  Those were germinated a while back.  Since I put all of these in there the germination rate increased and I believe the warmth and humidity will help the growth rate.
Cactus = Life

New Wisdom

• Professional Cactus Hoarder
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +223
  • Zone 6B
Re: Germination Station
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 09:33:22 PM »

I added some lophophora williamsii to the bunch! 25 of them. :)
Cactus = Life