Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Earthworms in indoor gardens?  (Read 6974 times)

TBM

• The Botanical Madman
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +75
  • Onward to the new
Earthworms in indoor gardens?
« on: July 10, 2015, 08:18:44 AM »

Does anyone intentionally add earthworms to their indoor pots to improve the soil? How many worms per size of pot? Where do you get your worms? I don't think I've ever seen worms for sale at any of the greenhouses near me... maybe buy some at a fishing store destined for bait? Do earthworms prefer certain kinds of soils and therefore, not worth adding to ones it won't survive in?

dan54i

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +23
Re: Earthworms in indoor gardens?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2015, 10:35:38 AM »

i had last time a grown (a year and hlaf ago) not eaerth worms, but some natural warms (Porcellio scaber) from the land, i think they did a great job, but im not sure about it; maybe at the first few months itll be great, but think about it, after that what are they gonna eat? when i had mine i use dried organic material to cover the soil so i guess they had a great material to eat and shit from.

as a summary if you gonna do it, do it with large containers, and cover the soil with organic material. further, i think you should do it only with annual plants, so the warms will not make it to brees (is that thw word in english?) and fill the whole container...
in israel i have many friends who have those red earthwoms, so if i want to do it i just have to ask them... try to contact you organic garders friends in your area, im sure they will have some to give you, when you start grow them they will reproduce as well.)

anyway, if u wanna go for sure, grow them seperatly and water your plants with the juice you get, ill sure thy will respond properly...

good luck friend :)
The energy of every plant is different.

hereje

• Trading Score: +90
  • Zone: 5a 5b
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2015, 10:49:08 AM »

I got some of the small redworms at the fishing shop and put the leftovers from fishing into my mimosa pots
Im not sure if they help or not but they definatly did not hurt the plant

My newest seedlings have grown almost 5' in length this year so far, that leads me to assuming that they all died and the plant absorbed the nutrients like a fertilizer although, maby the growth rate is due to the massive ammount of rain we have gotten in illinois this year

sorry i couldnt be of more help but i put them into the pot as a worm disposal and not so much for soil health

From my understanding worms eat microorganisms and organic matter in the soil so id assume any soil which contains plenty of those would be a great place for worms to thrive
Hmmm... what does this button do?

TBM

• The Botanical Madman
  • Global Moderator
  • Onward to the new
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 03:17:35 AM »

Thanks for the replies! I had never considered raising worms separate from my plants before... is it difficult? What do you feed them? How much space would be needed? Is it smelly? I see benefits to having the castings and chelate for fertilizer, but I know nothing of how to care for worms... Could someone with experience post a how-to thread on how they raise worms for the purposes of harvesting castings and chelate?

kykeion

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +13
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 06:32:22 PM »

Hey TBM, there is a ton of info out there, try googleing vermiculture or vermicomposting.  There are fancy pre-made setups you can spend a fortune on, or there are a variety of DIY instructions as well.  Here is a facebook group on the topic if you happen to be on facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/wormfarm/

My set up is pretty simple. I used a 5 gallon or so opaque plastic storage tub and drilled 1/2 inch holes in the bottom and sides for ventilation.  I glued window screen over the holes to prevent loss, but this step isn't necessary.  The tub is set on a pair of blocks (some scrap wood I had) inside of a concrete mixing tub.  The blocks elevate the tub to facilitate drainage and discourage escape.  The mixing tub is to collect any fluids that may drip out (rarely happens to my tub).

Inside the tub it is necessary to create a bedding material for the worms. There are a number of materials that can be used but the easiest is to use newsprint ripped into ~1 inch wide strips.  The bedding needs to be moistened to the consistency of a wrung out sponge (not dripping wet).  Fruit and vegetable scraps from the kitchen can be added to the bedding as food for the worms.  Additional bedding will have to be added on occasion as it will be eaten along with whatever is fed to the worms.

When you want to harvest you can dump the whole thing out on a tarp in a sunny spot.  Pick out anything that isn't composted and return to the tub with fresh bedding.  Everything else should be mounded up into a pile on the tarp.  The worms will make their way to the center/bottom of the pile and you can scrape away the outer layers of the pile after the worms have retreated. Eventually you will end up with a small pile of worms and a small amount of compost which can all be added back to the tub.  The compost that was removed from the outside of the pile should be free (or mostly free) of worms and can be added to soil mixes or brewed into a "compost tea" to be fed to plants.

Some methods and most of the fancy pre-made units utilize a stacking system where as food and bedding are used up a new tray or tub (with fresh bedding and food) is stacked on top of the finished one and the worms are left to migrate to the new material on their own, and eventually the lower level is removed to utilize the worm-free compost.

Hopefully that gives you a sufficient idea of how the process works, but like I said above some looking around on line would probably be beneficial.

kykeion

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +13
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2015, 06:39:35 PM »

Oops, forgot about the worms.  Here in the US you can order worms online, or find them in some garden centers.  I have no idea what sort of availability there is in other countries though.
The most popular species is the red wigglers (Eisenia foetida), however there are a number of others that work well also.  Worms you find in the garden or after a rain may not necessarily work well for composting purposes. 

FewTrueSeed

• Many Meiosis
  • Trading Score: +134
  • Fungophile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2015, 08:57:57 PM »

Red wiglers are great. I had mine indoors in a 30 gallon drum. Turned a hundred into hundreds of thousands in months. Great fertilizer. When I introduced some into my potted plants they had the tendency to crawl out the bottoms and across the floor until they died.
Never portray yourself to betray yourself, there is no I in self.

https://mycotek.org/index.php?members/fewtrueseed.1965/

plantlight

• pl -- for short
  • Trading Score: +73
  • Invisible Man in a Fluorescent Suit
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2015, 01:47:53 AM »

Just harvested some worm castings today-sharing my setup.  I got the thing as a gift from a relative that bought it but decided it was too much trouble.  My sister-in-law asked "would you like my worm farm"?  My first question was, what is it?  That was about 6 years ago.

Pictures:
1.  About 2.5 gallons of fresh worm castings - for those who were just dying to know what it looks like.
2.  A tray just about a week old.  Upper left -- last weeks mix, bottom left -- yesterday's addition and right half - shredded cardboard without any kitchen scraps.
3.  An empty tray.
4.  The bin with 3 trays.   

I like it because it is compact and space is at a premium in my yard.  Ask any questions you like.  I'm happy to answer any and all.  See my first question above.

Oh, if you want one, try to get it as a giveaway for the same reason I got mine.  There must be others out there somewhere.  :)     

Pictures are here:  http://sharetheseeds.me/forum/index.php?topic=2903.0
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 12:57:52 PM by plantlight »
"Nature is the great visible engine of creativity, against which all other creative efforts are measured.” - T. McKenna

plantlight

• pl -- for short
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2015, 02:44:59 AM »

Could someone with experience post a how-to thread on how they raise worms for the purposes of harvesting castings and chelate?

My above post was in response to TBM's question.  Perhaps I should have started a new thread. :-\  Please feel free to move.
"Nature is the great visible engine of creativity, against which all other creative efforts are measured.” - T. McKenna

TBM

• The Botanical Madman
  • Global Moderator
  • Onward to the new
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2015, 06:42:54 AM »

Cool! You don't need to move the pictures, you can just repost again in your new thread ;)

plantlight

• pl -- for short
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2015, 01:00:44 PM »

Cool! You don't need to move the pictures, you can just repost again in your new thread ;)

Reposted in new thread:  http://sharetheseeds.me/forum/index.php?topic=2903.0

I moved the pictures because the post isn't much without them.  :)