Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dramatic decline in Honeybee populations  (Read 21379 times)

sylvatica

Dramatic decline in Honeybee populations
« on: June 15, 2013, 11:27:34 PM »

As has been widely reported on in the press, it's rather shocking to actually experience this decline of the honeybee population in situ. and in real time, Virtually no honeybees to be seen here in central Europe.   A sober reminder that all is not well with our  unatural methods of  pest control. The recent polemic about the neonicotinoid insecticides has actually prompted EU legislators to do something constructive for a change, in imposing a provisional (2yr.) ban on the use of these chemicals as seed treatments. ( UK abstained) 

New Wisdom

• Professional Cactus Hoarder
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +223
  • Zone 6B
Re: Dramatic decline in Honeybee populations
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 12:56:19 AM »

Wow, That is not good. Not good at all.
Cactus = Life

DukeLiam

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +5
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 12:31:46 PM »

I do not like getting stung, but bees are probably my favorite helpers..
Stinging on melons is great for flavor and we all know on pollinating.
Let alone, I love honey..
Beggining, assisting, and nursing life in our world.
Grow your seeds!!

New Wisdom

• Global Moderator
  • Zone 6B
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 08:54:23 PM »

Stinging on melons helps flavor!? That's crazy. I didn't know this.

It's crazy how most life would die out without bees. Unless me make little robots that go around pollinating everything.
Cactus = Life

TBM

• The Botanical Madman
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +75
  • Onward to the new
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 09:09:27 PM »

“If the bee disappeared off the face of the earth, man would only have four years left to live.”

-Albert Einstein

CheshireCat

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 10:57:20 PM »

The problem is not just about the honeybee. It is about also about all the wild bees and bumble bees. There are serveral hundred species of them in central europe and a good population of all kinds of different bees will ensure a pollination of all kinds of different plants under different conditions (some species or for example more tollerant to cold or warm weather, to long winters, don't have trouble with varoa mites etc.) and you also need an active beekeeper in close proximation. Of couse you need an intact ecosystem to have a diverse population of wild bees and the pestcides are a big issue for them too.

While we are at the topic: The honey bee native to central europe, from france to scandinavia and russia is the euopean dark honey bee Apis melifera melifera. It is very hardy to cold temperatures, probably pretty hardy to the varoa mite all the bee keepers have problems with and also don't swarm that much. However you rarely find this subspecie any more and mostly just in very cold climates like scandinavia, or in high altitudes. They were replaced by the supposedly more productive Apis melifera carnica subspecies or the "buckfast" hybrid. Since they are adapted to the climate south and east of the alps, they have more problems in the central european climate and or more vulnerable to any stressor, including pests and poisson.

Starting beekeeping is not that hard and does not need to be expensive. You don't have to buy all that professional equipment. Look for a "Top bar hive". It can be easily made from a few wooden boards and is therefore very cheap. Smaller quantities of honey can be extracted by mashing the honey comb up and letting the honey run off through a fine sieve. So no need for an expensive extractor also. Other important things you need is a protetive suit, a smoker (get a good one, you want to always have smoke ready when working with the bees), a flexible knife and of couse the bees. If you go to the local be keepers club you will get some very cheap, if not for free and also a great deal of knowledge. There are mostly old people in there and they are usually very happy about interested people asking questions.  ;D The northern honey bee will of couse cost you a bit, because it is so rare and there a very few people breeding them. But it is a worthwhile investment, because you promote the native bee and therefore help to reestablish a healthy bee population.
If you have some free space (a small spot in the garden or even at a balcony or a roof is sufficient), the time and the interest to keep some bees, please think about it!
And if there any questions about this, ask them!  ;)

New Wisdom

• Global Moderator
  • Zone 6B
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2013, 01:35:12 AM »

I never see bee hives here anymore. All that I see is wasps and hornets. The occasional bumble bee too.
Cactus = Life

nobody

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +335
  • Hidden Member Extraordinaire
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2013, 06:58:26 AM »

Thank you for posting this. I have been contemplating keeping bees for a few years now, after watching the video my decision was made. Currently we do have a very large wild honey bee population but the local elders say it is much smaller than when they were kids, fortunately the gov't has a country wide honey bee program in place to help.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 08:56:11 AM by nobody »
¨At any time, you can turn on your computer, log into Facebook and watch humanity´s collective ego, mid masturbation¨.

nobody

• Administrator
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 08:51:54 AM by nobody »
¨At any time, you can turn on your computer, log into Facebook and watch humanity´s collective ego, mid masturbation¨.

New Wisdom

• Global Moderator
  • Zone 6B
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2013, 06:46:13 PM »

Wow. This makes me sad.  Monsanto has all of us by the balls.
Cactus = Life

nobody

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2013, 01:33:54 PM »

Links to a story about honey bees and pesticides, first link is for the study the story references.

http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0070182#authcontrib

http://rt.com/usa/bee-pesticide-scientist-research-600/

It´s not like no one knows, the govts just don´t care.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 08:49:05 AM by nobody »

Saros

• Trading Score: +48
  • (x²+y²-1)³-x²y³=0
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2013, 06:09:39 PM »

This is heartbreaking.. and that link about the seized bees is downright frightening! I'm glad to see that the EU at least is taking steps in the right direction with banning the use of certain pesticides...

My wife and I have been keeping a hive of Italian honey bees for the past 2 years. So far we haven't harvested any honey from them (had some trouble with varroa mites  and hive beetles and lost our queen last year - they're doing better this year. yay!).  We love just watching them. I think I'd be happy even if we never harvest any honey, though I do hope to this year.

How many bee keepers do we have here? If there are more than a couple, maybe we could have a section of the forum dedicated to beekeeping?

I'd love to plant a bunch Monarda didyma and other flowers that bees like around the hive for next year

Here's a picture of our girls hard at work=)

Seed Collector

• Slow but reliable
  • Trading Score: +93
  • Oklevueha Native American Church Member
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2013, 06:32:58 PM »

How many bee keepers do we have here? If there are more than a couple, maybe we could have a section of the forum dedicated to beekeeping?

I am not a beekeeper, but I like the idea of a section on STS dedicated to beekeeping. I recommend starting a poll on "Do you keep bees/ever kept bees?".

I might do some beekeeping in the future after doing reading on how to do it well (which I haven't done).

If a beekeeping and/or pollinators section is made, I will definitely look at it.

I live in a rural area of Alabama that has a good amount of biodiversity; it would likely do nature well to care for some bees (maybe other pollinators, as well).

Nice pic by the way.

TBM

• The Botanical Madman
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +75
  • Onward to the new
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2013, 06:51:29 PM »

I have no idea how difficult/easy it is to care for a bee hive, and being in an apartment I can't exactly start one either.... However I can easily see the benefit of STS having a Beekeeping section, seeing how plants and bees go together like two peas in a pod, it might even motivate others to start their own hives, thus helping keep the bee populations up :) It would be nice to care for a beehive one day

Sunshine

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +96
  • Hibernating
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2013, 06:55:37 PM »

How much does it cost to start up a hive? I am very interested in starting one. I looked into it a while back but never took the leap.

I wonder if the poppy field owners in aus have hives. It sure would make for some interesting honey. :)
Pages: [1] 2