Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Fungus FunFaQ  (Read 10314 times)

Mr. seeds

• Trading Score: 13
  • JSK
Fungus FunFaQ
« on: June 23, 2015, 02:35:04 AM »

hi guys, if you're like me you love funfacts! From what i know Fungus can have alot of funfacts because there's so many types and generally the mycological world is incredibly diverse.

So, i would like help in compliling a Fun FaQ; a body of threads designed to give interesting funfacts about mycology, mushrooms, fungus, and anything related. the readers would benefit from this thread. they would look at it and learn about the medicinal properties, the ecological impact, their directive (often animals and plants have directives. many spiders spin webs and use it for catching prey. bee's polinate the flowers. Some parasitic mushrooms feed off of tee's. tree's produce air. humans think, grow, and leave behind a genetic "seed" that breeds off into another being subject to change overtime.).

I was also thinking we could use it for interesting funfacts as well as interesting facts on mycology and such. Do you guys think that this is a decent idea? is there any room for improvement or feedback? How could this thread be better communicated or were there areas where i didn't touch up on something you believe could have been asked or communicated differently?

i ask this because i just want to improve the thread immediately if it has some areas that i missed, etc.

thanks! :D
life is like a seed; sometimes in order to grow you have to be dropped in dirt, covered by darkness, and struggle for light. The answer is the light in the darkness...

steveoi812

• Trading Score: +13
Re: Fungus FunFaQ
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2015, 10:06:22 PM »

sounds like a great idea to me and Id love to contribute as much as possible you sound like such a fun guy

FewTrueSeed

• Many Meiosis
  • Trading Score: +134
  • Fungophile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2015, 11:54:53 PM »

Awesome idea Mr.seeds. Digital high five. +1

"Recent evidence suggests that spores released into the air from mushrooms act as nuclei for the formation of raindrops in clouds. This may promote rainfall in ecosystems—like those in the tropics—heavily populated by mushrooms and other fungi."

http://www.popsci.com/mushrooms-may-help-bring-rain-to-forest-ecosystems
Never portray yourself to betray yourself, there is no I in self.

https://mycotek.org/index.php?members/fewtrueseed.1965/

Mr. seeds

• JSK
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 12:46:29 AM »

DUDE! i remember reading that! i wonder if we could do this in desserts? (returns your digital high five and sends you a telepathic fist bump)

Lets get this thread rolling and growing! i'm gonna try to find more info, don't have anything to share right now.

- peace and love
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 12:49:48 AM by Mr. seeds »
life is like a seed; sometimes in order to grow you have to be dropped in dirt, covered by darkness, and struggle for light. The answer is the light in the darkness...

nobody

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +335
  • Hidden Member Extraordinaire
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2015, 02:53:39 AM »

¨At any time, you can turn on your computer, log into Facebook and watch humanity´s collective ego, mid masturbation¨.

sporehead

• Trading Score: +85
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2015, 07:12:11 AM »

Pesteliopsis microspora consumes plastic as a primary substrate as well. Will have a culture soon :)

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • Trading Score: +140
  • <3
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2015, 04:38:18 PM »

Fungi before plants ! Wow you never stop learning.
Praise is mandatory.

Mr. seeds

• JSK
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2015, 07:31:15 PM »

although off topic from fungi, apparently mealworms can digest plastic and styrofoam. i'll make a post about it later.

sporehead

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2015, 10:28:22 PM »

^ i read that too. I'd feed it to my bugs but i eat them too.

muze801

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +7
  • USDA Zone: 5-7b
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2015, 10:48:23 PM »

bosqueberg

• Trading Score: +18
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2015, 03:33:21 AM »

mycelium in space, that's just awesome

Athena

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +176
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2015, 05:46:49 PM »

A brain-washing, body-snatching fungus: Fungi in the Ophiocordyceps genus infects ants and other insects and actually modify their behavior in order to complete their own life-cycle (spreading spores), and then kill the insect.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/fungus-makes-zombie-ants/

http://news.psu.edu/story/277383/2013/05/21/research/getting-bottom-zombie-ant-phenomenon

And it does not end there, either: "The microorganism is somehow able to recognize the brains of different ant species, and releases its mind-controlling chemical cocktail only when in its preferred host"

http://www.livescience.com/47751-zombie-fungus-picky-about-ant-brains.html

"The fungus leads ants to their deaths along the outskirts of the colony, creating a "sniper's alley" where the corpses can discreetly spread deadly fungal spores"

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/zombie-fungus-makes-snipers-alley-around-ant-colonies/

What's also interesting though, is that other species of the same genus are actually used medicinally in traditional Chinese and Tibetan medicines. An immunosuppressive drug, Ciclosporin, is sourced from Tolypocladium inflatum, which is used to prevent rejection during organ transplantation by inhibiting T-cells.

sporehead

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2015, 05:52:52 AM »

Don't know how I didn't post this first! Guess I thought it was common knowledge by now. I have a culture :)

sporehead

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2015, 04:29:32 PM »

FewTrueSeed

• Many Meiosis
  • Trading Score: +134
  • Fungophile
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2015, 06:24:26 PM »

Don't have a shroomery account.  :(
Never portray yourself to betray yourself, there is no I in self.

https://mycotek.org/index.php?members/fewtrueseed.1965/
Pages: [1] 2