Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Psychotria colorata - 'Los Gemelos' needs your help!  (Read 5195 times)

SoulGrower

• Trading Score: +151
Psychotria colorata - 'Los Gemelos' needs your help!
« on: February 06, 2015, 12:46:26 AM »

Hello all!  I am seeking your advice and help.

After a long and concerted effort, I was able to source seeds for a species I had long searched for.. Psychotria colorata.  They were a bit pricey and there were other seeds I wanted, so I only got 5.  After months of patiently waiting, one of the seeds finally germinated.  And to my joyous surprise, that single seed, bore me twins!!!  Yes, two plants from one seed!

They were born the day after Christmas.  A small glimmer of hope during a very painful time for me.  This was only a few days after my Dad went to Hospice.  And only a few days before he passed.  To say that these special plants are important to me, would be grossly understated.  I don't ever name plants.. but bc of their importance to me, I have decided to name them 'Los Gemelos', spanish (they came from Peru) for The Twins.

Now, I've struggled with how to proceed with them.  Do I:
A.  Just let them be and grow side by side (my preference)
B.  Try to seperate them
C.  Cull one of them for the benefit of the other (I don't really believe this is an option unless someone convinces me not doing so would cause both of them their demise)

But now I'm a little more concerned.  After about a month, they still had not shed their seed coating and I grew concerned/impatient.  I gently removed the seed husk manually.  That was about 5 days ago.  Unfortunately, the leaves appear to be a bit curled and I'm not sure if there is a problem with them that I should tend to.  Please take a look at the pics and let me know what you guys think I should do... if anything, at this point.

The first pic was taken on the first day that they had broke through the soil's surface, Dec 26th... well, perhaps they were actually born on Christmas, or shortly before.  The second was taken 4 days later on the 30th.  The last few pictures were taken today (5 days after removing the husk).
You don't have a soul
You are a soul
You have a body
C.S Lewis

Sunshine

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +96
  • Hibernating
Re: Psychotria colorata - 'Los Gemelos' needs your help!
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 01:23:28 AM »

The leaf curl may be because they are new seedlings. It could also indicate low humidity. As long as it isn't super dry where you are I am sure they will be fine. Normally if I get two plants growing side by side like that(such is the case with small seeds if I accidentally put two in one pot) I'd try to separate them after they become a bit more established, but something's telling me that since they're twins you should keep them together.

My condolences about your father. That's tough man. If you need someone to talk to about it feel free to pm me any time.

Bach

• Chacruna whisperer
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +406
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2015, 03:03:43 AM »

Congrats there SoulGrower. Looking good!

The fact that it took so long for the seedcoat to come off and even then needed help, indicates  insufficient humidity. Likewise with the wrinkly cotyledons. I would put a humidity dome of some sort over the little guys for a while. Like a soda bottle with the bottom cut off or a ziploc bag that fits over the pot.

If you do that you can probably cut back their watering schedule at the same time.

Hope this helps.

Forget the night, live with us in forests of azure.

SoulGrower

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2015, 04:32:56 PM »

Thank you guys.  And thank you Sunshine for your compassionate offer of support. 

With regard to humidity, I've made a rookie mistake of asking for help without providing all the details.  Here's a more complete picture of the situation.

The seed was germinated in a mix of peat, perlite and pine bark fines (1-1-5).  This mix was in a small plastic cup, which was place in a clear tupperware type storage bin.  The humidity must always be 100%.  There is always condensation on the lid.  I open it daily for fresh air and to mist the soil surfaces of my cups as needed.  It receives ambient light from a east facing window that is only a few feet away.  It is in a small room that I have been overwintering a couple of juvenille box turtles in.  There is a space heater and the temp is kept at about 78F.

After a couple weeks of the seed coat not coming off, I started coating the seed coat with saliva each day.  I continued this for a couple of weeks (missing a few days here and there).  After manually removing the seed coat, I moved them to an aquarium were I have my other psychotria leaf cuttings. 

When I took them out of the aquarium yesterday to take a picture, on of the leaves had a very small droplet of water on it.  If anything, I was concerned I might have to much humidity?? 

I have 7 other psychotria leaf cuttings, all with sprouts, in the same aquarium.  I also have a couple T undulata and an A anisopetela in the same aquarium.  All of which are doing very well, for the most part.  A couple of my nexus and viridis sprouts seem to be exhibiting a similar leaf curl on the new leaf sets only.  The older leaf sets look perfect.  In fact, one of my nexus plants seems to have a bit of rot on the newest leaf set (leaf browing).

I open the aquarium once a day and blow into it to give it fresh air.  I never really have to water them bc the soil remains constantly moist.  It is a very well draing soil and is has lots of air pockets throughout. 

All in all, I feel as if I have established a great method for propagating psychotrias.  They are only in the aquarium for overwintering.  What I have found works very well for me the rest of the year is to place the pots (leaf cuttings) outside in the shade and place an open ziplock bag over the tops of them.  I never have to water them and they put up healthy sprouts with regular consistency.

Maybe I shouldn't be concerned at all?  Maybe it is a lack of air circulation?  Maybe the soil needs to be going through a drying out cycle more frequently?
You don't have a soul
You are a soul
You have a body
C.S Lewis

New Wisdom

• Professional Cactus Hoarder
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +223
  • Zone 6B
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2015, 11:58:26 PM »

I had some Lophophora alberto-vojtechii twins pop up a while back.  I decided to let them grow together. Well, they both died shortly after conception.  Not saying that's what will happen to you.  They are very different kinds of plants, but I think the roots penetrated each other and ended up making a route for bacteria to make it's way into the roots of the plants and they both died.   

I also had some twin T. boliviensis once. Both of them survived and they're still growing, but will be extremely hard to separate.  I'm guessing that the roots are intertwined pretty bad.   

Separating them at this early stage would certainly bring death if you ask me.  So I would just keep them going how they are.  They both may survive, both may die, or one of them might kill off the other.  Only one way to find out.   
Cactus = Life

Bach

• Chacruna whisperer
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +406
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2015, 12:21:47 AM »

Sounds like you've got a good setup there SoulGrower. I wouldn't change anything at this point and I certainly wouldn't try to separate them.

I've had other Psychotrias germinate together like that and they grew to maturity that way, no problems. Just be sure to give them adequate root space as they grow.

The primary thing I would recommend is patience and a consistent environment for them.

Growing Psychotria from seed is a great teacher of patience. "Wax on, wax off..."

Do keep us updated on their progress and be sure to share some leaves when the time comes.  ;D
Forget the night, live with us in forests of azure.

SoulGrower

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2015, 03:00:44 PM »

OK.. sounds like no need to be alarmed.  And I'm not going to seperate them.. I think they'll be fine.  First time I've grown psychotria from seed and bc of the circumstances.. I just didn't want to mess them up.  Thanks for the advice!

And you know I'll be sharing leaves as soon as I can!!!!!  ;D  Can't wait to  ;)
You don't have a soul
You are a soul
You have a body
C.S Lewis