Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Use of regenerated silica-gel for DIY seedbanks.  (Read 11570 times)

sylvatica

Use of regenerated silica-gel for DIY seedbanks.
« on: June 01, 2013, 12:12:52 AM »

A method I've used for years has enabled me to have viable seeds from storage times in excess of 12 years, and in certain instances of seed from high altitude plants ( alpine plants) often gave enhanced results over fresh seed.

Preparation:
 Dried Seeds were stored in  stamp collectors envelopes, each envelope clearly labeled with permanent marker. The envelopes were subsequently placed in "Tuppaware" type plastic containers  and completely covered in pink silica gel crystals to the full depth of the container (  they get pink after drying them in an oven for an hour or so). The lids of the Tuppaware containers were additionally sealed at the joint via a thick application of vaseline to further prevent penetration of moist air. An easy to access list of contents was attached to the outside lid of the container. including all relevant data.
Emphasis is on filling the container to the brim with regenerated silica gel.

Storage:
For very small banks, a mini fridge like the types found in Hotel rooms may be more suitable than a fully sized domestic fridge. Mine was set to 2-3° Celsius and left undisturbed in the cellar.

While my experience dealt mainly with alpine plants, that are often subject to prolonged periods of forced dormancy in the wild. I could speculate that the silica gel method would work well for the folowing Genera that respond to extreme dry storage:
Fabaceae, Poaceae, Solanacea.

nobody

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +335
  • Hidden Member Extraordinaire
Re: Use of regenerated silica-gel for DIY seedbanks.
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 10:20:36 AM »

My wife always thought I was crazy for saving all the silica desiccant packs that come in everything. My seed didn't.  ;)
¨At any time, you can turn on your computer, log into Facebook and watch humanity´s collective ego, mid masturbation¨.

New Wisdom

• Professional Cactus Hoarder
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +223
  • Zone 6B
Re: Use of regenerated silica-gel for DIY seedbanks.
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 04:13:03 AM »

Thanks for the information. I think I will start using this for my big seed collection.  I would hate to have my seeds get ruined with moisture.
Cactus = Life