Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: My bodgy "cloner".  (Read 12063 times)

fairdinkumseeds

• Trading Score: +545
  • May you reap exactly what you sow......
My bodgy "cloner".
« on: October 21, 2014, 05:43:31 AM »

I had plans to make a bigger one but when I worked it all out the pumps I had wouldn't be strong enough and I am too tight/broke to buy bigger ones.
How it works(in theory) is the bubbler is bubbling 24hrs a day creating a high humidity.
The sprays nozzles squirt the cut stems intermitantly, and are turned on for 1-2minutes, then turned off for 4-6mintes repeatedly by the bodgy switch.
There is no heater at this stage as it is pretty hot here. I have one if needed.
The plants won't lose much water because of the dome.
The stems won't rot as there is lots of air time between sprays.

It should work...

I bought 2x large 100litre(26.4gallons) plastic tubs

I used a large acrylic table cloth to make windows. I cut the sides and bottom of the tub off, and cut the lid off, but left the edge and angles on to give it structural support.

I used bought inserts, and cut holes in the plastic lid with a heated piece of pipe. Like a cookie cutter, worked really good and no risk of cracking like a drill bit on plastic sometimes does. Having had a good look at them I would probably use disposable plastic cups instead next time as it would be slightly cheaper and the same quality.

This is the effect I wanted. Pretty even spraying onto the stems of the cuts.

When the lid is in place there is even saturation as the nozzles are close.

Inside the box I have a fishtank pump connected to garden hose connected to pvc pipe with green spray nozzles(circled in red) evenly spaced in an overlapping arrangement.
I also have a long air stone/curtain going from one corner to the other(red line) to create fine bubbles, mist and a very high humidity on the roots.

This awesome contraption was made up by a mate of mine and it controls the power.
It turns the power off for 4-6minutes, then turns it on for 1-2minutes.
I was unable to get a proper switch in OZ voltage, and the only proper ones I could get anywhere under $100(after days of searching and 30+phone calls) are 15minute intervals. So 15mins on 15mins off, which I am told is not suitable. I will be testing both.
Not because electricity scares the crap out of me and the high tech switching device is a bit bodgy.... 
 :-X

Solution/liquid, any suggestions?
I plan on using willow water to stimulate rooting in the cuts later on, but to start with I just want to prove the system works.(My goal is a fully "organic" no chem setup in the end)
What do you guys use?
Sucks, but AU-OS trade isn't cost effective or reliable anymore. Aussie trade encouraged, especially for cactus, dragonfruit, and colour fruited columns.
Hit me up! --> fairdinkumseeds.com/contact

hereje

• Trading Score: +90
  • Zone: 5a 5b
Re: My bodgy "cloner".
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 06:48:47 AM »

Very nice - what was your total cost for this project?
Hmmm... what does this button do?

fairdinkumseeds

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 10:18:49 AM »

$7.00           +
$7.00           100liter tubs
$30.00          Net pot Cup
$14.00          Fish tank pump
$10.00           Air pump
$2.00             Air hose
$7.00             Air curtain/stone
$2.00             Silicone glue
$4.00             Sprinkler Nozzles(50)
$3.00             Acrylic tablecloth
$50.00~seeds Switch 

~$130.00 I guess, but most of the stuff I bought previous for other projects, so $50 and a heap of seeds.
Sucks, but AU-OS trade isn't cost effective or reliable anymore. Aussie trade encouraged, especially for cactus, dragonfruit, and colour fruited columns.

fairdinkumseeds

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2015, 07:53:13 AM »

Just an update. It works great!

Hormone powder on the first lot of cuts and they all took. Happy but not surprised.
Added a heap of chopped pieces of willow to the second lot and they all took except 4 which rotted(not getting sprayed, willow chunk blocked nozzle. ).

This last lot I just used rainwater, no chems, 15minutes on 15minutes off spraying, no hormone, no willow, nothing at all except water!
100% success again!

Coffee, Calea, Psychotria, Tomato, Henna all worked great. I recommend it to all, and you should be able to do it much cheaper than I did.

Sunshine

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +96
  • Hibernating
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2015, 05:34:41 PM »

This strongly interests me. That thing is cool man.
Usually when I go into a project like this for the first time I end up ordering extra of something or I end up needing to order extra of an item I did not calculate needing. If you could go back and edit your original order, would you change anything?

And a couple more questions;
After building it, is there anything you would change about you original design to make it better?
Was the original price you quoted for a single unit?
If no, How much do you estimate it would cost to make a single unit?

Roze

• Trading Score: +210
  • After winter, trees are relieved.
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2015, 06:41:22 PM »

Flawless job! 

thanks for sharing it with us!
Be weird.  Be random.   Be who you are.

fairdinkumseeds

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2015, 12:36:31 AM »

If I was going to do it again(which I will be soon as I want another one) I would buy the following>>>

2x <100lt black plastic tubs with black lids (so there are no algae issues in the future).
1x clear tablecloth for the windows.
1x small but powerful fishtank pump.
20x nozzles
1x "pool noodle" cut up for sticking the cuttings in, cheaper than net pots.
1x timer as pictured. You just push in every second notch and it turns on an off 15mins apart.

$50 total, less if I got to the tip/dump/op shop and salvage most of the parts.

Greench

• Trading Score: +3
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2015, 05:40:10 PM »

Hi there  :)
Thanks for the tut. I'll probably try building one of these.
Could you confirm the specs of your pumps?

fairdinkumseeds

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2015, 12:28:26 AM »

Aqua One Precision Air Pumps http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Aqua-One-Precision-1500-Fish-Tank-Aquarium-Air-Pump-Oxygen-Bubbles-Aerator-/271567306387?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item3f3aac3e93

The Precision range of air pumps have defied the odds and become an institution which the aquatic trade refuses to let go of. Their time proven reliability has ensured the sales keep coming even in the face of stiff competition. Available in outputs of 60 - 800 litres of air per hour, they cover most requirements of today's average size aquariums.
High quality robust units that have been built to last
Silent operation
Single and twin outlets
Simple diaphragm replacement
2 + 1 Year Guarantee
240V/ 50Hz
Australian Approved air pumps

Code-10046,  Model-1500,  Max Flow Rate-60L/H, Speed Control-No, Number of Outlets-Single, Wattage-2W,

This is the submersible water pump. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-300-L-H-Aquarium-Water-Pump-Aqua-Air-Fountain-Pond-Fish-Tank-Submersible-AU-/400812780776?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item5d524dace8

Specifications:
 - Power: 4W
 - Flow rate: 300L/H (80GPH)
 - Max height: 2ft
 - Inlet diameter: 15mm
 - 2 Outlet Connectors Diameter: 9mm,14mm
 - 2 Outlet Connectors Length: 21mm,24mm
 - Cable Length:4.6 ft
 - Dimensions: 50x45x35mm
 - Voltage: 220-240V /50HZ
 - Weight: 160g

In the process of making a solar powered one, just to see if I can. Could be a while before that's finished though..
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 12:38:19 AM by fairdinkumseeds »

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • Trading Score: +140
  • <3
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2015, 12:37:57 AM »

Have fun with frequency inverting in the solar application :) But afaik the pump will work like a doorbell so basically it shouldnt matter much if its running AC or DC. In fact I even believe for a given voltage the current in the pumps magnet will be higher - thus creating a stronger magnetic field. So when going DC you should get away with supplying less voltage than it needed originally. Maybe just try to hook it to DC :D
Whats your pans there ? Inverter ?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 12:42:01 AM by BubbleCat »
Praise is mandatory.

fairdinkumseeds

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2015, 12:48:46 AM »

Instead of a switch to turn the pumps on and off, I am gonna have the pumps and aeration run constantly(solar and battery backup), but switch the actual water and airflow.
Divert it one way for 10-15mins, then divert the water and air back the other way to the holding tank.
That part is gonna be like an old fashioned clock, powered by weights/gravity.

Solar and gravity is the goal, but easier said than done it seems...

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • <3
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2015, 12:53:11 AM »

Yeah, I was talking about the way you want to hook up the pumps (now I realise its two at least) to the solar cells. My assumption above is correct for the airpump (which is a door bell and a bellow) but im not sure about the water pump, so maybe you wont get around forming a frequency / alternating current from your solar energy.

Mechanical valves and timing mechanism make the whole thing sound even more badass :D
Praise is mandatory.

Greench

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2015, 11:16:13 AM »

Thanks  ;)
I ordered the net pots and sprinklers. I'll start when they arrive.

I will also try to graft a propagation chamber on top of my ultrasonic humidifier, see if one is more efficient than the other.

"switch the actual water and airflow". that seems difficult, I'm looking forward to seeing how you do that.
Although I don't understand why you want to do that... turning off would probably make the whole thing more affordable because you can get a less powerful solar panel and charge a battery while the pumps are off.

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • <3
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2015, 07:45:28 PM »

You will need a float for your ultrasonic unit that ensures it stays at a given levem relative to the solution surface, otherwise solution level chaniging will trouble you. As you up the ppm your unit will experience stress, especially on the membrane, so clean periodically for a longer life and be prepared to change the membrane once in a while :)
Praise is mandatory.

Greench

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2015, 11:33:48 AM »

Didn't see your reply... thanks.
I won't up the ppm, it would only be for rooting purposes. Vinegar rinse once in a while to avoid mineral build-up, and everything should be fine.
As I said, I would graft the propagation chamber onto the humidifier outlet, so no need for floating.
Maybe I'm not very clear sorry. I'll post pictures when I start it, it will be much better.  :D

I've received the sprinklers and the net pots.
Now I need to find neopren discs suitable for their tiny size (22mm). I have an idea, I need to go to the DIY store to check it.
I'm looking forward to building this!  :P
Pages: [1] 2