Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: mobile format?  (Read 4449 times)

solaritea

• Trading Score: +48
mobile format?
« on: September 04, 2014, 06:45:14 AM »

Would it be possible to have a version of the forum formatted for phones? I'd like to spend time here while goofing off at work but the site is too small and hard to use on my phone.   :(

TBM

• The Botanical Madman
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +75
  • Onward to the new
Re: mobile format?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 07:18:10 AM »

I view the forum with my kindle from time to time, and the font can sometimes be really small, I'd have to zoom in to avoid hitting two buttons that are next to each other, I'm used to it with most websites but if it's possible to have a format for devices that would be cool 8)

delta9hippie

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 08:44:01 AM »

Seems that the STS site uses a Simple Machines theme.

If the admins are interested in making it "mobile-friendly", there is a mod for the theme that can detect if the user is on mobile: http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=3349

Then, a mobile theme is needed to direct a detected mobile user to a mobile theme. There are a handful of mobile themes on the Simple machines site. http://custom.simplemachines.org/themes/index.php?action=search;basic_search=mobile

There are also responsive themes, that scale to the user's window size, down to mobile.

OR, a complete overhaul into wordpress which has an amazing community of support and great free themes, tools, etc. ;D

I can help, if the admins want to move on any of this in any way.  :)
I kind of like plants because they made the Earth inhabitable.

Mandrake

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +13
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 09:25:54 PM »

delta9hippie - thanks for the suggestions and the offer :)

There's already a few pending things in my to-do list, and I'm adding forum responsiveness as well. I expect to have available time to work in some improvements and updates soon, perhaps in a couple weeks, early october at the latest. I'll try to look into everything as soon as possible.

Thanks for your patience,

Mandrake