Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Moldy Datura Seeds Viability  (Read 5333 times)

AcaciaAve

• West Coast Zone 8b
  • Trading Score: +166
Moldy Datura Seeds Viability
« on: September 02, 2014, 11:23:45 PM »

My brother collected Datura seeds last month and sent them to me.
Some of the seed pods and seeds were completely dry and uncontaminated.

Some other seed pods' skin was still somewhat fresh so molded while in the mail.
I cracked open the moldy pods and there remained dry seeds inside though I suspect there was mold accumulated in traces around the seeds. Threw the seeds in a pan of water and have been letting them soak for a few days and am going to give them a try in some soil.
Anyone have this problem before?
Would washing the seeds with hydrogen peroxide be effective? I know the seeds are somewhat compromised since soaking so on intuition it wouldn't be the best idea to wash with bleach or hydrogen peroxide...
Thanks for any advice.
Grow Phalaris grass
Climb Acacia Trees

fairdinkumseeds

• Trading Score: +545
  • May you reap exactly what you sow......
Re: Moldy Datura Seeds Viability
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2014, 08:32:43 AM »

Old Q, but anyway.
Some of my datura go mouldy in the pods while still on the plant. Mostly Datura inoxia, but some times the others too.
No idea why, but it doesn't affect the germination at all when I planted them straight away, or stored them 2months then planted them.

I only store the good ones now just in case, and if the pod has any visible mould it gets replanted immediately or dumped.
I tried washing in 6% peroxide, and they looked fine for about a month in storage, then they went mouldy with a different coloured mould?
Still germinated fine, but yeah, looked pretty sickly, and those seedlings didn't grow well eventually getting eaten by bugs.
They were not healthy compared to the others with clean seeds.
Sucks, but AU-OS trade isn't cost effective or reliable anymore. Aussie trade encouraged, especially for cactus, dragonfruit, and colour fruited columns.
Hit me up! --> fairdinkumseeds.com/contact