Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Indoor planting season question  (Read 3552 times)

psykinetic

• Trading Score: +2
  • love and light to all
Indoor planting season question
« on: August 29, 2014, 03:37:38 AM »

Hellow STS friends! Big holliday weekend just 24 hrs away!
Folks I have a simple question that ive looked around old posts quite a bit and cant seem to find an answer to.
As most of you know from lots of my posts Im solely an Indoor gardener. All of my seeds and cuttings were started in very early to regular spring this year. I love my garden and with alot of help and encouragement from you all its doing great,especially since this is my first ever garden. So, can I germinate and plant seeds in fall and even winter if my room and lighting system are warm and powerful enough? Or is it a kinda plant consciousness thing and I should only follow natural out door seasonal planting. Ive been thinking of adding some Acacia,Salvia( finaly found some reasonably priced cuttings) and if its doable i would love to expand my cactus garden to some Lophora( got one tiny little trouper thats surviving but im planning a whole area just for them with a nice lighting and proper soil set up).
So thats it realy....can I plant later to much later than out doors. I know this must seem like a silly question but Ive never gardened befor last March. This began as an interest/ hobby and immediately became much more than that. I realy love the energy exchanged with the plants and giving them attention and love is like meditation for me,so I dont want to risk loosing a bunch of seedlings by messing with there planting time,on the other hand none of my girls could survive a New England winter out doors so I imagine planting season is adaptable as well.
Please anyone who knows about this let me know. I finaly have been busy enough at work to buy some new plant supplys so Im realy hopping to start a new wave of seeds in the next 2 weeks,if its advisable.
Thanks STS!
"Ride the Spiral to the End...We May Just Go Were No Ones Been"

delta9hippie

Re: Indoor planting season question
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 08:50:56 AM »

You definitely can plant whenever you want indoors. If it gets too cool for seeds to germinate or seedlings to develop healthy roots, you can use a plant heating mat. The plants sit on top, and the mat keeps them warm when plugged in. The other problem can be lack of light in the winter months. Are you supplementing natural light, or using grow lights exclusively?

Growing indoors is a great way to grow; it gives the grower fundamental control over the environment. :)
I kind of like plants because they made the Earth inhabitable.

psykinetic

• Trading Score: +2
  • love and light to all
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 03:06:17 AM »

Thanks so much delta9hippy! I had a feeling that it was cool,and now im totally psyched to get some more lights and heaters! Oh man,i do not live New Engand winter but mine jusy got way better.
To answer your lighting question,the girls get great early morning direct sunlight then early afternoon on its ambient real and 2 large one small electric,with one long florescent plant light. They are doing great. Man i cant belive I can keep planting!  Hellow tobacco, acacia var.more cacti and....when $ permits....alittle mushroom cultivation
Life just got better
Much love my friends!
"Ride the Spiral to the End...We May Just Go Were No Ones Been"

delta9hippie

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2014, 06:20:25 PM »

I'm not sure how "intense" you want to get about it, but I could certainly offer some advice if you want to have very robust indoor plants. One of the most important variables is light, so, when you get set-up with your indoor plants, post some pics of the lights and I or others can comment on optimal lighting positions and so forth :)

Are you planning to take the plants outside after the winter?

I'm happy for you! Growing indoors is a lot of fun! It can get to borderline addicting! ...Oh, who am I kidding, it can get way passed "borderline"  ;D
I kind of like plants because they made the Earth inhabitable.