Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Perlite Vs Vermiculite  (Read 8224 times)

Roze

• Trading Score: +210
  • After winter, trees are relieved.
Perlite Vs Vermiculite
« on: August 26, 2014, 11:41:24 PM »

I always ask myself what is the difference between this two inorganic soil additives, so I decided to research and these are some answers I found:

What's the difference between vermiculite and perlite?

Vermiculite is a mineral ( mica). When heated, it puffs up, and in this state it absorbs and holds water. However, due to its tendency to compact, it shouldn't make up more than 25 percent of a potting mix. Mixing vermiculite in potted plants will provide the necessary air to maintain vigorous plant growth. Where soils are sandy, mixing of vermiculite into the soil will allow the soil to hold water and air needed for growth.  Vermiculite is brownish, softer, and somewhat shiny.

Perlite is a white volcanic substance that is a derivative of silica. It too is heated so that it puffs up. Yet, perlite does not absorb water, making this the main difference between it and vermiculite, but increases drainage and improves aeration. It also has insulating properties, which protect root systems against fluctuations in soil temperature.
Perlite is white and porous, with sharp edges.

Is advised to use vermiculite primarily in potting mixes (because of its water-holding capacity) and perlite for rooting cuttings. However, because perlite is sterile, the cuttings must be replanted in a potting mix that contains nutrients. Do this once roots begin to form.

Advantages:
Perlite has drainage qualities and capillary action suitable for hydroponics. Vermiculite retains water and nutrients, which is helpful in sustaining seed growth.

Other Differences :
 Both perlite and vermiculite are pH neutral. They differ in their ability to buffer pH changes. Perlite is rated as low in its capacity for pH buffering, and vermiculite is rated as high. Although both can hold plant nutrients such as those in soluble fertilizers, perlite has a low rating and vermiculite is rated as high. Perlite contributes no chemicals or substances to the soil mix, but vermiculite can add potassium and magnesium.

Water-Holding Capacity
Vermiculite has better water-retaining properties than perlite. The softer vermiculite particles act as sponges, soaking up water. Perlite retains water by holding it in the bubbles, and it can drain away from these spaces more quickly since the perlite itself doesn't absorb the water. For plants that need more constantly moist soil, such as tropical plants, vermiculite gives better conditions.

Alternatives:
Styrofoam is an economical alternative to perlite, according to the University of Connecticut.

Finely ground pine bark, also called “pine fines,” is the principal alternative to vermiculite.

To sum up:
Perlite helps to aerate and improve soil drainage. Vermiculite holds moisture and attracts nutrients, which facilitate plant growth.
Vermiculite holds water best, perlite give the roots of the plant the most oxygen. Oxygen = rapid grow, but dries out super fast. Dry roots = dead plant. Your potting soil had a lot of water, but little oxygen. if you watered your perlite every 2 to 3 hours the perlite would have won the competition, but who has time for that?..  Do you agree with this?

This is a worth seeing experiment:

Did you know...
That vermiculite comes from 19 varieties of micaceous minerals and the ores contain silica, alumina, iron oxides and magnesium oxide. The expanding properties upon heating were observed by Thomas Webb in 1824, who heated ore over a candle and watched it turn into elongate forms that resembled worms. He named it vermiculite from the Italian word for worm, vermiculus?  ;)
Be weird.  Be random.   Be who you are.

BigHeart

Re: Perlite Vs Vermiculite
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 02:49:36 AM »

Nice write up.  I myself just used both perlite and vermiculite in my cactus mix, along with sand and cactus potting soil.  My trichs seem to be loving it so far. 

A couple more notes that I've observed. 

Perlite likes to float up to the top when watering in pots.  What started off as a nice blended mix is now nearly completely white on the top from the perlite floating up.  I plan to put some pebbles on the top to stop it from floating up and clinging to the sides of my cacti.

Vermiculite (at least the kind I bought) can be very shiny, it almost looks like the fool's gold flakes I see in our local lakes.  It also supposed to be a good alternative to using peat moss (which some people say is unethical to use due to the fact that it takes centuries to produce and releases stored carbon).

New Wisdom

• Professional Cactus Hoarder
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +223
  • Zone 6B
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 03:47:04 AM »

Pumice = the best.

Let me elaborate...  Pumice does not float to the top as fast as perlite so it's much nicer in soil mixes.  It is also heavier so it helps the pot be heavier and more stable.  Cacti also seem to respond way better to it than with perlite as if they use it as fertilizer.  Overall pumice has many more desirable qualities than perlite.  That is why so many bonzai growers use it.  So, pumice = the best!!

New Wisdom
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 07:58:01 AM by New Wisdom »
Cactus = Life

BigHeart

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 04:56:12 PM »

I've heard people mention pumice before as well, yet I can never find it in the local stores so I've been using what I have available.  If I ever come across it for sale I'll definitely pick some up.

Roze

• Trading Score: +210
  • After winter, trees are relieved.
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2014, 08:03:57 PM »

pumice is the same as akadama?
Be weird.  Be random.   Be who you are.

• Trading Score: +2
  • ___/23\___/23\___
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2014, 09:30:16 PM »

nope akadama is clay pumice is a vulcanic rock it's soft and porous
Zone: Caput Mundi

New Wisdom

• Professional Cactus Hoarder
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +223
  • Zone 6B
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2014, 11:50:49 PM »

Pumice is almost the same as perlite, with slight difference.  They are both volcanic glass that is formed with lots of air bubbles making them light and well aerated. Perlite has more water content and is typically more processed that Pumice.   Here's is this website's description of the both. 

Characteristics of Perlite

Perlite is lighter weight than pumice and lighter in color. It is pure white. In soil mixes, perlite tends to float to the top of the soil, spilling over the edge of a pot when watered. It usually costs less than pumice and is manufactured in different grades, weighing as little as 2 pounds per cubic foot. It is chemically inert, has a pH of about 7 and provides no nutrients to plants. It does not compress, so the drainage it provides is permanent.

Characteristics of Pumice

Pumice, formed from molten lava that cools quickly, is porous, letting water drain through it. It is usually a dusty white or pale gray, but, depending on the minerals in the area where it is mined, it also can be pale yellow. The Latin word “pumex,” from which the name pumice is derived, means “foam.” Pumice contains tiny bubbles of air, and it floats in water, but not nearly to the extent perlite does. Pumice is not processed beyond being sorted by size.

New Wisdom
Cactus = Life

BigHeart

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2014, 08:52:57 PM »

Given their similarities and the lower cost of perlite, now I don't feel so bad and will just stick with perlite  8)

• Trading Score: +2
  • ___/23\___/23\___
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2014, 12:11:17 AM »

Plus perlite is good for keeping the shrooms nice and wet in the tank
Zone: Caput Mundi